Completed Efficacy of Myofascial Trigger Point Pressure Release on Tinnitus Patients (MTP)

To evaluate the efficacy of myofascial trigger (MTP) point deactivation for tinnitus control.

1. Tinnitus Talk submitted a new resource:

Efficacy of Myofascial Trigger Point Pressure Release on Tinnitus Patients (MTP) (version 1.0) - To evaluate the efficacy of myofascial trigger (MTP) point deactivation for tinnitus control.

Read more about this resource...

2. Goldilocks
      Lonely

Goldilocks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Original T 1995, aggravated T 2014, increase 2016
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I think I found the results of this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23306563

Efficacy of myofascial trigger point deactivation for tinnitus control.
      Rocha CB1, Sanchez TG.

Abstract
      Chronic pain in areas surrounding the ear may influence tinnitus.

OBJECTIVE:
      To investigate the efficacy of myofascial trigger point deactivation for the relief of tinnitus.

METHOD:
      A double-blind randomized clinical trial enrolled 71 patients with tinnitus and myofascial pain syndrome. The experimental group (n = 37) underwent 10 sessions of myofascial trigger point deactivation and the control group (n = 34), 10 sessions with sham deactivation.

RESULTS:
      Treatment of the experimental group was effective for tinnitus relief (p < 0.001). Pain and tinnitus relieves were associated (p = 0.013), so were the ear with worst tinnitus and the side of the body with more pain (p < 0.001). The presence of temporary tinnitus modulation (increase or decrease) upon initial muscle palpation was frequent in both groups, but its temporary decrease was related to the persistent relief at the end of treatment (p = 0.002).

CONCLUSION:
      Besides medical and audiological investigation, patients with tinnitus should also be checked for: 1) presence of myofascial pain surrounding the ear; 2) laterality between both symptoms; 3) initial decrease of tinnitus during muscle palpation. Treating this specific subgroup of tinnitus patients with myofascial trigger point release may provide better results than others described so far.

Free full text (too long to copy and paste): http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1808-86942012000600004&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    5. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks for posting this. Is this something that can be done at home? If so where would the trigger points be?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @JasonP: I have no idea. Maybe you should contact the researchers directly.

7. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    8. timitus

timitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck Injury
      I got tinnitus after hurting my neck in a skiing accident. Herniated a disks between C5 and C7. A symptom was really bad myofascial pain in my trapezius, rhomboid and sub occipital muscles as well as in the TMJ where I had a sharp searing pain shortly before the ringing began. Multiple doctors said surgery is not necessary for the herniated disks. I found that myofascial release stops the ringing, immediately. I have somatic tinnitus. I have tinnitus free days every 5th day and there is a definitive pattern. I'm only 34 and otherwise very fit and healthy. Hopefully with more physical therapy it will go away - if it doesn't, as in most cases, I will have to accept it as part of life. Hope all you tinnitus suffers find some relief in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    9. gerhei

gerhei Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/After a cold
      Hey,

in the past months I tried to play around with my muscles on my neck and my back since I can modulate the noise(s) with flexing muscles and moving my chin. I don't want to be too optimistic but I have the impression that a combination of accepting the situation psychologically as a first step was necessary in order to resume slowly with exercises such as stretching and massaging muscles on my neck (as in the video above) and on my back. Those actions coincided with a near disappearance of the noises in almost 99% of the time. I do those stretches and massages daily, but not to harsh to not irritate the muscles. I cannot guarantee that this is not a coincidence that is driven by something else, but at least this is something I can play around with, which gives me the feeling that I can influence the situation to a certain degree. If it is clear that the noises are causes by some sort of muscular dyfunctionality, I think chances are pretty good that the noises are manageable. A cluster of tight and contracted muscles can be relaxed again.

10. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Does your tinnitus go away completely or is it just very low?? Yeah somatic tinnitus here too from neck and jaw. I can modulate a secondary sound, but not my main sound... My tinnitus is in a pattern too where I get about 3 very good days in a row about 3 times a month so 9 days total about. Pretty funny how people get a pattern of good tinnitus days. It's almost on those good days something builds up for the bad days to start.

11. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Ask around, but try a posture corrector if possible.. I don't know.