Electric Fan and Pink Noise Made Ear Louder

Discussion in 'Support' started by Petloy, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      2 weeks ago I slept with the fan blasting in my ear I woke up with my left ear ringing more loudly than the right and I started noticing a crackling noise only in my left ear when I burp. It has gone down a bit but the high pitch in my left ear comes and go.

Last night I tried listening to pink noise at high frequency setting on Tinnitus Master deluxe for an hour (no headphones just very minimal volume on my laptop) and my T spiked to a high pitch kettle. Is this spikes because of the fan or pink noise? Thanks.

2. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Fan blasting in your ear the whole night is generally a bad idea no matter if you have tinnitus or not... Perhaps you should see a doctor and show him your ear? If you also hear popping/crackling noises, you could have gotten an ear infection/cold from the fan. Please be careful!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Fish I had it on for like 45 minutes when my T rang loud, so I turned it off...I have an ENT appointment next friday...so we'll see. I'm just freaking out. Thanks for the reply

4. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Your masking sounds should not be blasting loud or significantly louder than your T or you could have spike issues. Also you're still in this only a few months. Those seem to be the most volatile and up and down period--an adjustment period. Your T is something that is still very new to your system and brain. It will take some time before it begins to calm down. Mine took about 4 months before I started to see improvements. Of course everyone is different so yours could be sooner.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Yes the masking sound was more louder than my T, btw I'm 3 months and 8 days but since I was exposed to loud noise Sept 7 so it feels like 2 months of T and and my T does fluctuate often...thanks Erik let's see what 2 more months can bring.

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I am over 6 months but mine still fluctuates, it justs does not seem as often or bad. I have maybe a couple bad days a week, the rest are usually tolerable with no issues.

7. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I apologize - I got it all wrong. I thought you had a fan close to your ear the whole night and when you woke up your T was louder.

In any case, please try to stay calm. You know very well that stress can make the T appear to be louder than it really is! And just what Erik has said - it is best if you avoid using masking sounds too loud, using volume just slightly lower than your T makes habituation easier. I am sure you will get better. Keep us updated!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      no need to apologize Fish thank you. just want to update you guys it seems to be going down hope it goes fully back down but left ear still a bit high and nose kind of congested i will have it checked nex week