Energy Drink Addiction and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Iwan K, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Iwan K

Iwan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety ?
      Hey guys,

I have been drinking redbulls for the past 3 years, on average of 3 per day every day for the past 3 years. In March I started having problems falling asleep and I was regularly waking up in the middle of the night for no obvious reason. At some point I started hearing tinnitus and I ve been dealing with it since then.

After reading experiences of people here, I must say that my tinnitus is mild, I hear it when I wake up then when I get out of bed take a shower and go to work I dont hear it , only occasionally for a few seconds...then during the night (after I have already drunk 3-4 redbulls) I start hearing it again. It is low pitched, almost every sound, for example listening to music or watching tv can mask it, but I am getting very irritated knowing that something is wrong with me.

Do you think it could be the redbulls causing it ? I have really hard time cutting on them..

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't know if RB is causing it, but I suspect it's not helping, since it's stimulating your brain.
      Why not try to taper off RB?

3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Iwan K . Well for starters give up red bull your drinking far to much of that horrid stuff . And it will make your tinnitus worse for sure.red bull has high caffeine content and can cause your blood pressure to rocket. Google it and your see why this is bad stuff to take.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Iwan K

Iwan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety ?
      Its soo difficult...

I am having hard time researching about possible side effects of Red Bull..I simply cannot find online anybody who drinks so much, 3 on average for years... usually it is safe in normal quantities but even scientists dont know what such quantity of coffaine and taurine and sugar can do to the nervous system.

Btw, is it true that since my tinnitus is not triggered by a noise traume but rather on a nervous/psychologic basis I have higher chances of it getting away ?

5. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Red Bull is crap in a can. You're getting nothing but sugar and caffeine with some vitamins thrown in as window dressing. Basically you're not unlike a heavy coffee drinker who adds sugar to their cup each time they drink it.

I quit coffee cold turkey some years ago. My sleep improved greatly. Do yourself a favor and give up the Red Bullshit.

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      red dyes seem to spike my tinnitus sometimes and other people have told me the same. I'd be more suspicious of that than the other ingredients, but it's hard to say.

7. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Seriously, 3 redbulls a day is a bad idea on so many levels. I would really try to kick that habit.

8. Manuel Cabeza

Manuel Cabeza Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high volume music at car & disco + red bull, i suspect.
      I have been listening to high volume music at car and disco for 3 months and drinking red bull for that time too.
      I suspected on music only so, when i started tinnitus, i stopped listening it so high and so many times.
      Today, i did drink two cans of red bull and though it could not be good for my healht rising the amount of cans per day ( when i went to disco, i could drink 1 liter/day at weekends).
      Just now, i suspected on red bull being related to tinnitus, so i think i should stop drinking it so much.
      The doctor told me the reason of tinnitus could probably be stress more than high volume music.
      It was not always red bull, it was any brand of high caffeine and taurine drinks.

I tell this for the chance it could help anyone.

9. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I used to drink RB...then i found out it was made from bat feces...yummy =]

10. RoeTaKa
      Creative

RoeTaKa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Somatic?
      Drinking a lot of red bull in the long run is just not going to do you any favors. Get your blood pressure checked, if it's high then you definitely gotta cut it out. Energy drinks can raise your blood pressure and make your more anxious and jittery. Anxiety is also known to cause head pressure and that anxiety can be a cause of a low pitched sound in your ears, you also might just be more sensitive to hearing the blood pass by your ears.

In short, stop drinking it and see what happens. Try to drink a lot more water throughout the day, it's always good for you. Energy drinks also contain Taurine which is actually quite good for you. You could start taking a Taurine supplement each day instead.

You'll feel a lot better when your nervous system is less jittery.