ENT... Second One, Thoughts and Questions

Discussion in 'Support' started by Candy, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      1. This time ENT was more encouraging, he did acknowledge how difficult this whole thing is rather than dismissing it like the last one, which I appreciated. He also said a couple of his patients had improved one after 6 months one after a year...mmhh, time will tell. Seems an established pattern, how can it vanish?

2. Anyhow he thought TMJ couldn't be related unless it was very serious TMJ (I've had it for 20 year on and off) - he thought it is extremely rare (which is not what another doc said). Any thoughts?

3. Hearing test was ok up to 8khz - in which case why should I not pursue neck or jaw pain stuff? Can't believe they don't routinely check for that, or even hidden hearing loss in the upper ranges above 8k. One wants to know what's caused it.

4. Saw Italian video of someone getting better after upper cervical treatment on you tube. Also anyone know what Atalas treatment is?

4. FYI will continue researching for miracle cures, put in the usual 4 hours in the evening (as I have nothing better to do like getting back to living), decide to go to Israel, then change my mind again and opt for a healer in China...

2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

Trying to find a cure is part of the healing process that we all go through. However, at some point you must divert your attentions towards acceptance because there is nothing out there that is going to fix you.

If anything worked believe me the whole world would know about it. Once you learn to accept your new reality you will feel a lot better. It will be like the weight of the world coming off your shoulders, but it takes us all a different amount of time to get there. Don't put pressure on yourself and try to stop giving all your attention to the sound in your head. Instead take up some new hobbies and put 100% into them instead. You will slowly start to adjust and notice that your tinnitus is dropping down your priority list; until one day you will realise a few weeks have gone by and you haven't thought about tinnitus in weeks/days.

If a cure comes later on then it's a bonus, but once you reach acceptance it won't be as life changing as you'll believe it is right now. This is because your thoughts are far more skewed and catastrophic nearer the beginning; it takes a lot of time to think clearly without tinnitus affecting your thoughts.

See your ENT because there's a chance he may find an underlying cause which is treatable, but don't waste thousands chasing rainbows.

• Like Like x 1
    3. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Yes to say a couple patience had improved after 6 months or even a year does not necessarily mean the sound went away or even decreased. Possibly some people just adapt quicker?? Hard to say really with Tinnitus. We got a long road ahead of us yet.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Meant to say the patients had got better...

Thanks guys for your thoughts...can't imagine habituatimg to this frequency at this stage...forgetting about it for days, it occupies every second. Time will tell.

5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Candy at the start I was suicidal it was that bad. I've got a high frequency dentist drill kind of sound above hissing and humming in the background. This can turn into cicadas and electrical zaps around my brain at times as well.

If I'd have read my post above back then, I probably would have been annoyed reading it thinking it'd never be me. I ate, slept, and breathed T. I spent all my time online looking through research for any kind of help or cure. At some point I just got to a stage where I said 'fuck it'; I needed to get on with my life. In the first week I didn't even get out of bed, I just lay there an absolute wreck.

Our brains are plastic and we are adaptable. We have the strength in us to overcome adversity on levels you wouldn't believe. This is proven all around the world with stories of hardship that show an immense amount of human spirit. All it takes is time. Time is the greatest healer out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Thanks @Ed209 - my husband says thanks too, will print your post. x