Episode 19: It's the Data, Stupid! — Christopher Cederroth & David Stockdale

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by Tinnitus Talk, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      All very odd. So these are basically private companies that register as charities? I just wondered on what may have been the actual differences in vision that caused the parting. I know in December a paid staff member said Tinnitus Week would focus on the Biobank.

It turned out to be 5 days of tweeting about protecting your ears. It's been diabolical.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. 2noist

2noist Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      No. The now "Tinnitus Prevention Limited" is a company limited by shares. It's not a registered charity. You can't be a registered charity if your company is limited by shares.

The actual "Tinnitus UK" is Private Limited Company by guarantee without share capital use of 'Limited' exemption. And they are a registered charity. Registered charities will use the limited by guarantee structure and are also listed on the Companies House.

Gov.uk: Set up a charity

"Your charitable companies will have to be limited by guarantees rather than shares when you register. Select ‘private company limited by guarantee’ on the form."
      Would or should? Surely they had decided on the Tinnitus Week theme before December?

Twitter shows the "Views" for each tweet. Their tweets received on average 500 views or so. And all of those people already knew about the importance of using earplugs.

picard-facepalm.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Hi Nick, sorry I didn't respond. For some reason I don't get notifications when people tag me.

The Deanne Thomas situation is strange. Even if it was a standard probationary period, the end of which, people can and sometimes do decide the fit isn't right, it's still quite a short time for such a public parting of the ways. You'd have thought they'd have had the discussion about the need for alignment of vision and ambition 3 months ago.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @UKBloke, here's Tinnitus UK's latest offering.

Can we lock the paid staff members in and detonate?

Are they trying to kill us off?

plugem-tinnitus-uk.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dunno about that but having read Lynn Gillon's short-bio on Tinnitus UK I do wonder whether or not they're taking tinnitus seriously enough:

Lynne suffers from tinnitus... In her spare time she loves to go to the opera, the theatre and spends time reading. In the winter she likes to be on the ski slopes as much as possible!

• Funny Funny x 3
    6. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      They couldn't downplay it any more!!! :(

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tell me about it. Should've known all we ever needed was a bit of Nessun Dorma and a Saturday afternoon at Chill Factore.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      That's the cure right there :LOL:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. @dam

@dam Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely noise
      I wouldn't look too much into it.

Honestly, it makes for a good enough scare campaign to stop potential new sufferers (considering for some of us, it would have taken nothing short of your own self time traveling back into the past to warn you).

They are still definitely keen on a cure, as all of us are. Plenty of ways you can get tinnitus without noise exposure.

• Like Like x 1
    10. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nick: I would've tagged you in my Tesla thread but not sure the tag thing works.

You remember we spoke a while ago about some research I've been doing into neural gating with respect to tinnitus/hyperacusis? As a continuation of that I recently stumbled across this paper by Marina Kliuchko.

If you're remotely interested, would you mind to read it and let me know what your thoughts are regarding what they're terming 'noise sensitivity' and how the paper seems to state that this isn't hyperacusis. I'm confused!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @UKBloke, quite complicated to read. It seems the central nervous system can be in a state that leaves one susceptible to hyperacusis from loud noise. Something I have read, and this causes a grating problem in the central auditory system, that they have seen in imaging.

I'm not sure what they mean by noise sensitivity. At times it seems like they mean misophonia and a psychological reaction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for taking a look.
      This was my impression too. Seems like an overly complicated paper that doesn't quite get to the point somehow. Bit of a shame.

13. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @UKBloke, so the question I have is what's happening with the tinnitus biobank? In December last year I had an email from Lucy Straker saying:

14. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Looks like Lucy Straker's moved on. Did they even get a new CEO yet? Finding it hard to keep up with Tinnitus UK.

P.S. - just read your meds post. Hope you're doing OK, man.

15. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @UKBloke, Lucy Straker wasn't the CEO. That was Deanne Thomas. They shoehorned an existing staff member in after a "successful" interim period. Funny what they deem success, hey.

Unfortunately, I would prefer no medication, but I'm sure anyone with a chronic illness would say the same.

16. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
    17. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd almost forgotten that charity even exists to be honest. There may be friction between Lynne Gillon and the recent CEOs but any moves made would need to be done with the full approval of the trustees. I just don't think they're hiring the right people, which points to an institutional problem.

• Like Like x 1