Escape Rooms — Any Experience? A Bad Idea for a Hyperacusis Sufferer?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mister Muso, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My teenage son wants to go to with his teenage friends to an "escape room" where you have 60 minutes to solve puzzles to unlock the doors.

The rules usually say you need an adult present in the room as well so I'm wondering if anyone has experience of them, would I be justified in saying they are a bad idea for a hyperacusis sufferer like me?

I imagine they'll be full of sirens, alarms and general excited behaviour.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Violetdusk

Violetdusk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2005 Very loud rock concert. 2018 Worsened considerably.
      I too have been invited to this so also wish to know if I can go or not...

• Like Like x 1
    3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It really depends on the escape room. I went to one last Christmas with my relatives and made sure to call ahead of time asking if it had loud noises. The one we were in was fairly quiet (except for excited kids), but some of the other ones did have loud noises. You're better off just calling ahead of time and explaining the situation.

• Like Like x 1
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Just ask if there will be loud sounds.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Why didn't I think of that!

I think I'll have to go, but will pack my strongest earplugs just in case. Apparently they give you a spare key just in case someone needs to "escape" in a hurry, so you are never truly locked in.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      So I'm just back from Clue HQ in Glasgow for my son's birthday treat. It was great fun! He and his friends solved all the clues with just 14 seconds to spare! I had my foam earplugs in which I was glad about for the general excited background noise waiting to go in - it was part of a complex involving laser quest, trampoline parks etc. Also inside the room the excitement levels rose as the amount of time left decreased. But overall I would have very few qualms about going back.

I have heard however that some escape rooms are a bit more iffy for tinnitus and hyperacusis sufferers though, as some use klaxon horns, smokebombs etc. Check the reviews and ask the staff if unsure before going to one.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      OK my ears are ringing a bit tonight, but tbh I prefer that to the usual "whistling kettle" sound which gets louder according to my surroundings. At least with this steady ringing that fills my head, I know what I am dealing with, and that it will likely settle down again in a day or two. Nothing I haven't dealt with before, for example after a bit of piano playing or a meal with some well-chosen but not-too-rowdy friends.

It's either that or becoming a total recluse, which I refuse to do.

• Like Like x 1