Eustachian Tube Issues and the Frenzel Maneuver

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rb86, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Guys I felt my ear getting full again today and almost could hear the low end part of my tinnitus again.

I stumbled on this video on the Frenzel Maneuver to help equalize the ear.

It's a bit long but I found it helpful.

How to Frenzel Equalize: an equalisation...

Also, I've been taking Flonase, but I know you can't be using that multiple times a day.

Is saline nasal spray effective towards ETD, and can you use it as much as you like?

I also have a question for those who may know. When you do the valsalva maneuver for example, you blow and you feel your ears block up until you yawn or swallow. Does it more effectively clean out the Eustachian Tube if you leave it in the popped or blocked feeling longer before swallowing or yawning? I hope that makes sense.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Unless you had a history of allergy related ETD causing ear problems, don't blame it on that. It is irrational to hold the view that ETD would show up after a noise injury.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hello-new-here-suffering-from-tinnitus-for-2-weeks-—-triggered-by-noise-exposure.35284/
      Based on this thread mentioning hearing loss, tinnitus and hyperacusis issues, it is logical to conclude it must have something to do with extremely loud noise harming the ear. Flonase cannot help this.

It's possibly noise damaged the e-tubes, but it's very unlikely it's a separate allergic issue. No one exactly knows the mechanisms which cause ear fullness after a noise injury and there's really nothing anyone can do about it but resting ones ears.

My right ear was injured November 2017 and I felt intense pressure at times, it took months to resolve near entirely. On odd occasion I still do feel pressure unfortunately but it's a whole lot better compared to back then.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have found the low end portion of my tinnitus to be responsive to Flonase. The ENT said tinnitus can be exacerbated by any buildup there. I don't have a history of bad alergies, but I did have some symptoms which responded well to the Flonase. I can definitely breath better with it.

4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I believe it’s the muscles that control the ET functioning that are actually the issue if noise exposure is a contributing factor. They can develop hypersensitivity as a result of noise exposure and, to an extent, conscious or subconscious concerns around sound. They become dysfunctional and activate autonomously to “protect” the ear from further damage. This in turn disrupts the functioning of the tubes and causes ear fullness, pains, sinus issues amongst other things.

There may also be middle ear and ET inflammation connection as a result of noise exposure, but can’t be sure. But I am sure the muscles are involved. ENTs would never consider this though because they don’t even know and, like most doctors, think prescribing meds is the way to practice medicine.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Breathing better may reduce anxiety, but ear fullness after being exposed to very loud noise is intertwined.