Ever hear of tinnitus subsiding?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dishman, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Dishman
      Wishful

Dishman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Has anyone heard of tinnitus subsiding in others? If so, can you share how they acquired it and how long it took to subside? Thanks in advance

2. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      • Like Like x 3
    3. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      if it is after an acute noise exposure, i try to super protect my hearing, and in between 2 months to 8 months, it might ease up a bit. my last noise exposure was from the dentist grinding my teeth to make crowns, and it took 3 weeks for it to ease up. it went from life-ending where is my nembutal, to I'm so glad I got my mojo back. It is still moderately loud, but at least it is not "catastrophic" where it is the end of my career etc.

4. TJPositive
      Fine

TJPositive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Surely there're cases out there were it has, but unfortunately that isn't a reality for most tinnitus sufferers. For the people where their's did subside it would be due to the underlying cause being treated or easing up on its own. So in other words a condition that mimicked tinnitus, not a case where the cause it unidentifiable.

On the positive side, while the tinnitus noise itself mightn't subside, most people with tinnitus do report finding it easier to deal with over time as ours brains adjust to the noise. Of course it's still there but people get better at ignoring it and generally see an overall improvement with themselves. This is known as habituation.

I personally had mild tinnitus that was easily masked by general environmental sounds over 3 years ago. However at first this additional noise was a real bother and stressed the hell out of me. Now looking back, it only took a couple of weeks for me to get used to it and I can honestly say I didn't notice it for days at a time, and when I did, I'd quickly shake it off and get back to whatever I was doing. I can't say yours (assuming you have it) will improve it that amount of time but I can assure you it'll get better. Not in the sense you were maybe hoping for, but any improvement is a good one, right? :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Object16... I keep postponing it, but need a crown done, too. Can't keep putting it off anymore. Any advice?

6. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Dumb question maybe, but were you wearing earplugs last time?

7. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      I don't think they help so much, since drilling noise conducts through skull. Never took a notice it being overly loud, but on the other hand I didn't have T last time I visited dentist.

8. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, tinnitus can subside. I have heard of it disappearing in people who have had it for years. But this can happen with many conditions. You do hear about the exceptions but these are the exceptions not necessarily the rule.

Is this likely to happen? Depends. Maybe if your tinnitus is less than a year along. Some say it can up to the first 2 years. Either way, putting your life on hold for this or waiting for a cure is counterproductive. Getting on with your life as normal as you can is the best thing you can do for yourself while you wait.

• Like Like x 3
    9. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I have heard about tinnitus subsiding < 2 years into it. I have also read stories about it subsiding in people that have had it for 10 years. I don't think the chances of this happening are very high though. The longer you have chronic tinnitus, the more likely it is to be just that - chronic.

10. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I have noised induced T from last 2 1/2 years. Initially when i got it ..it was horrible, but loudness did go down siginificantly. last year or so it was irritated again by a very large fire cracker and it also subsided after 3-4 months.
      mine is irritated again after watching a very loud movie at the movie theater. Its been on and off since then. .not too loud but its bothering me a lot.

have you tried to mask it with white noise? White noise has done wonders for me. Please try it and let us know if it helps you or not.
      get mack's plus and dont go to any place where there is a loud noise.
      i am pretty sure you will be ok in few months. Try to mask and ignore as much as you can..thats all we can do.