Every Time I Spend Some Time in Not Loud But a Place With a Lot of Sounds My Tinnitus Gets Better

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ilija, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      I have found out that basically every time I spend some time in a not loud but a place with a lot of sounds my Tinnitus gets better.
      Just came back from a friends, the Tinnitus is the lowers it's been, and also the I am less bothered by some noises.
      Does anyone else have this?
      I think the more I expose my brain to different real noises the less it focuses on Tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree. I think it's good for our habituation to get out among people, and with normal noise as a background. As long as it isn't loud noise, it can help your brain focus on something other than the tinnitus!

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      I agree @Karen. When I am out with moderate noise, it helps me to focus less on T as well.

• Like Like x 1
    4. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Residual inhibition. The brain has more to process, so some of the neurons that don't work as well in quiet get recruited, so you don't have your tinnitus for awhile. After the stimulus is removed, the neurons take awhile to return to their normal, maladaptive state. That's my theory, anyway.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jonathan Kent

Jonathan Kent Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2014
      Same here. The more noise, conversation, music, TV that I'm around, the less I notice it. I have only had it for about two weeks now and it is driving me crazy. I will not accept that I have to live with this forever. Any treatments or drugs or essential oils/holistic stuff working for anyone?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You can try Zinc and Magnesium supplements, also try B12.
      Other than that not much you can do if there isn't a specific cause for your Tinnitus, for instance blocked ears, blood flow or something like that.
      I recommend you go to an audiologist and have him take a full medical record and examine you if you don't know the cause of your Tinnitus.
      But don't worry dude, trust me it gets better.
      I'm only a month in and my Tinnitus has decreased a lot and I barely notice it when I'm not doing anything.
      The moment I do anything like watch a movie or play some games or anything that occupies the brain I lose track of it and can't hear it.
      I know it seems like it won't get better but it will.
      Trust me when I first got it I was suicidal for 3 weeks before I finally recovered

7. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      hi well i have had it for nearly 3 months and i am obsessed by it. I cannot sleep, cannot eat, am holed up in my house not knowing what to do or where to go. I am very suicidal. It is getting louder. What the hell can i do. I wanted someone to try to help me get the TT neuro sound therapy but despite repeated posts asking for help as I am not techno enough, I have had no response. If anyone can help me with this, I can do a check and see whereabouts is the tone that I have which I think is 1 or 1.5 khz or whatever it is called - did a tone signal test on another site and that is what it came out at.
      Any help appreciated as I have none here in rural france. None whatsoever. Desperately dying here. Taking xanax on and off 0.125mg = half of 0.25mg supposed to be twice a day and then a whole one at night. So would be 0.50mg total per day (0.125 x 2 = 25 + 25 at night = 50mg but I am trying to not take it. Doing all this cold turkey with no help. Any specific relaxation techniques would also be very helpful. Thank you to anyone with any help at all

8. Jonathan Kent

Jonathan Kent Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2014
      Thanks Ilija -- yep, I just started in taking a lipo-flavonoid supplement this week (mostly B-vitamins) and Magnesium supplement yesterday. Will see what happens. Also just started with some essential oils that were recommended by friends. "It is what it is" as they say. Sucks, but I'm going to try everything and see what can be done. Also just started taking Allegra-d per an ENT's suggestion who I saw this week. I have a general congestion in my inner-ears that might be the cause and the Allegra may help that and ultimately my T.
      Thanks for the conversation.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh shit man, I know how you feel, I do when mine started I lost like 10 kg in a month, imagine that10 kg in a month,
      look you have to stop being scarred and depressed.
      I know you hate when I tell you this, I know it's not up to you I know man but you HAVE to stop being so stressed.
      I promise you if you could just get 10 min without stressing you would see how not loud it actually is.
      Try going to nature, go to a forest or something and just sit there and relax, unwind trust me it'll stop getting louder and worse the minute you stop obsessing about it.
      I was angry a few hours ago, it got louder, I hated everything, I actually went to a gig and then to a friends house to hang with everyone.
      Just came back home and it's really really low, I'm not stressed anymore.
      You just have to try your best to not obsess about it, the best thing is going into nature as there are a lot of sounds there so your brain won't focus on the Tinnitus, when I go outside I don't even hear mine I only hear it when I put my headphones on in a quiet room, that's how low it gets when I'm not worried by it.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Also please don't do anything stupid, cause you'd feel REALLY stupid if you'd actually killed yourself and then a cure is discovered the next week.
      Research is great and there's plenty being done for Tinnitus, but you have to realise any day a random old guy with Tinnitus can drink some 105th herb for tea and notice his Tinnitus gone.

11. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      i feel pretty stupid now.....and obsessed with this all too much

12. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      No one with T must feel stupid.
      T is a horrible condition. Everyone who needs to cope with it, has a great amount of strength.
      Obsession is normal. If you have pain, you want to get rid of it. And everything else becomes less important.
      So is with T. Your complete focus is on getting rid if it.
      And since you cannot do anything, for the moment you need to endure.
      Mask as good as possible, try to live your life as good as possible.
      And believe in habituation, but this takes time.

13. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      thanks

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013

Same here...if I am in loud environments my tinnitus just tends to slow down for a while (couple of hours I think).

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Went to a gig yesterday, my Tinnitus is actually better somehow.

16. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Amazes me that you were posting so much and you were so paranoid and then you took the risk and went to a gig!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I got angry, plus I had earplugs and sat away from the speakers, also this time it wasn't some cheap ass basement.

18. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      I personally thing that what you did might be little irresponsible.
      You might hurt yourself more.
      Your T got almost to 0 levels and you went to G.
      Next time you might not recover.

19. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      My tinnitus always seems to be lower after being in a place with noise higher than I'm used to (I live in very quiet areas now). When I got off the plane a few days ago, it was not noticeable for a while. There may be something to this.

20. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Who knows maybe loud sound can fix t. That would be something !!!

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not really, it's simple your brain simply has other shit to process other than Tinnitus.
      This is why mute button might actually work, their theory is that by training your brain it will be able to tell apart real sounds and fake sounds so it will in time ignore the fake sounds.
      This is why when I'm watching a show, anime/playing a game/studying even in quiet I can't hear it.
      Even when I'm in the quiet reading Economics my brain simply focuses on that and it doesn't have the time to focus on Tinnitus.
      This is why people who have habituated completely don't notice their Tinnitus and it doesn't bother them, they simply hold no emotion over it hence the brain doesn't care enough to focus on it.
      Mine was an intrusive ring 2 months ago, now it's a rather funny air sound (not stating Tinnitus is funny I'm just saying the air sounds are funny to me compared to beeping ringing and whatever else I could have had).
      I'd say I'm 40% habituated, I actually don't think I'll ever reach 100% due to the fact that mine seems to be buggering off, well I know I CAN'T KNOW FOR CERTAIN but I've learned to trust my guts and my guts say this isn't going to be a permanent thing.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not loud just sounds, occupying the brain, taking it away from Tinnitus.
      There was a study where they would take your exact Tinnitus frequency, and then play it to you, what this should in theory do is mess with your brain.
      Your neurons fire off randomly, this would make them fire off in order like they did before, after a while again in theory this would make your brain attuned to Tinnitus and get stuff back in order in there.
      Don't know what's happened to it but it does sounds promising, and as my no Tinnitus during League of Legends has showed quite possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My Tinnitus isn't on 0 levels, I'd say it's on 3 levels 2 at best 5 at worst as I am far far from habituated.
      It's not the Tinnitus that bothers me as much as it is how I got it, no 10 000 person concert of my most loved band (Tool btw suggest anyone check them out if you're into metal or rock or just want something weird and new), nor have I gone to hundreds of gigs, It's 2 gigs fucking 2 xD how lame is that.
      I should have listened to myself, whenever my friends asked me why I don't go out I said it's cause you never hear "17 year old stabbed during an intense match of League of Legends" guess I was right xD
      Anyway I've said many times it's the beeping sound my PC produces that bothers me but that's lowering as I pay less attention to it and acknowledge it less and less.
      I think mine will go probably, just feel like it I guess.

24. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Do you have link to this study?

25. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      I too am not sure why i got me t. So many theories: root canal, neck, little sound exposure.
      S is complicated but i am trying to hang. In my case it's also air sound and when higher its high pitch tone going up and down. And on top of that extra sensitivity to sounds and broken speaker effect.
      Few times I tried to turn the volume up on my headsets but it's scarry.
      Will it help or harm me more?
      No idea.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yep it's a YouTube video, I'll find it and send you the link.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know, I can't help but be a little jelly sometimes how all my friends can go to hundreds of gigs and concerts and still have good hearing with no Tinnitus.
      I've always been sensitive like that.
      Sensitive nose, eyes, ears, really annoys me as this is the one thing I can't train and toughen up as I did with myself generally.