Examples of Tinnitus Sounds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by layzell, Aug 13, 2017.

1. layzell

layzell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      inner ear infection
      I've seen somewhere on this forum a set of sound recordings other than the three excellent examples by Stink, Blair 14 and Stephanie 19115 in which simulated sounds covering a wider range of sound patterns were shown.

Does anyone remember this or could anyone please point me in the right direction.

I find it comforting to be able to quote the exact sound that I get and comforting to know that someone else knows exactly what I'm talking about.

2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      layzell

layzell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      inner ear infection
      Thank you Kolisar.

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Here are a few examples as well, these sounds were done by @Steve; some of our members described their tinnitus and Steve recreated the sounds for the video.

Tinnitus Talk: Sounds of Tinnitus

5. Pomme
      Crappy

Pomme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and Stress
      Does anyone else not hear some of "Sounds of Tinnitus". I cannot hear the second & fourth examples ? :(

6. trevl

trevl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Acoustic Trauma due to driving a Mitsubishi Rosa
      This is my tinnitus sound.

1. 649.93 Hz (RHS)
      2. 829.30 Hz (RHS)
      3. 1102.88 Hz (RHS)
      4. 11443 Hz (LHS)
      5. White noise (RHS+LHS)

#1 and #2 tones are random intermittent events and duration. I describe these as the flute tones. Durations are usually about 0.3 seconds, but can be a few random seconds each tone, and early in the morning I can have one of these tones only. Otherwise, randomly and continuously alternating. I never have none of these tones.

#3 tone is the newest tone, and is now constant.

#4 is a high pitch squeal which continuously fluctuates in volume. Like a slow vibrato in volume (rather than pitch). I describe this tone as like ice skates on ice. If I make this tone louder than my tinnitus in my LHS ear, my speakers begin to crackle. The volume for this tone, is at the limit of most of my earphone speakers. No natural sound seems to be able to mask this sound. This tone is constant.

#5 is a high frequency white noise. I cannot match this to any single tone, so I suspect this one is a form of white noise. This seems to be present in both ears. This tone is constant.

All these sounds are continuous, present all the time.

Sometimes #5 (ice skates) seems louder than #1+2 (flute notes). And sometimes visa versa.

If I play any sound to help me sleep, it only adds to the sounds I already have, which may include outside wind noises, bird noises, a distant hum of an external air conditioner. So I will have my own 5 sounds, uncontrolled external sounds and then possibly, added controlled sounds (usually from my tablet). External sounds tend to reinforce the presence of tinnitus in my mind. My brain seems to try to hear the external sound through the tinnitus. It seems like my brain is working hard.

I sleep at night due to exhaustion. I wake to turn or to visit the bathroom, and then no longer sleep because I am no longer completely exhausted. I no longer sleep due to tinnitus. I can take Temazepam 10 mg, and this will help me sleep for ~3 hours. If I take this at 10PM when I go to bed, I will wake ~1 or 2 AM. I no longer sleep due to tinnitus. If I take this at 1 or 2 AM, I will wake ~4 or 5 AM. I no longer sleep due to tinnitus.

The attached .mp3 file has the tones pre-mixed L and R as per where I hear my tinnitus. The duration is 1 minute. Use headphones. I estimate the perceived volume to be about 38dB using a white noise to drown out most of the tones (but not #5, the ice skate tones).

Attached Files: