Exercising and Headphones Cause More Ringing

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ryan B, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Ryan B
      Worried

Ryan B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD and Loud Noise Exposure
      After my hour long workout session today and listening to my noise cancelling headphones at 50-60% volume, I noticed that afterwards my left ear starting ringing really bad and it’s louder than it was these past few days. The loudness and severity of my tinnitus has seemed to fluctuate over these last few hours.

Could this sound increase be permanent or just from listening to my headphones for an hour at around half volume?

And I’ve just started to get used to my tinnitus and all of a sudden it’s gotten worse....

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ryan B
      Worried

Ryan B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And also I’ve been diagnosed with ETD as well

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I always advise anyone with "noise induced " tinnitus not to listen to audio through headphones even at low volume, as there's a risk of the tinnitus becoming worse. I hope it calms down for you.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ryan B
      Worried

Ryan B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for responding but I’ve been listening to my headphones at a reasonable volume for the past week and I noticed no difference in the ringing. Also my ear was crackling and popping all day and right now my ear is popping as I chew.
      Could this be the reason for the flare up?

5. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      My tinnitus gets louder after any attemp of physical exercise and after any effort (lifting shopping bags). Sometimes it gets pulsatile, sometimes not.
      It goes back to where it was before after a while. Very depressing, but do not let this deter you from exercising (regularly). I did, and what happened is that now also my body went to hell, besides my auditory system health.
      T sufferers complain that their condition is invisible, and that's why they are not understood, but visible health problems are not nice either (people do not understand that either, they just judge)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ryan B
      Worried

Ryan B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How long did it take for you to go back to normal? Cause I woke up this morning and it still seems louder than before.

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Certain exercises can make tinnitus worse for some people. In particular running on hard ground or on a treadmill. TMJ which affects the jaw joint can also cause tinnitus. I know some people with tinnitus don't have problems listening to headphones at low volume. However, I still don't advise it especially when the tinnitus was caused by "loud noise". I just don't think it's worth the risk, as I know how debilitating tinnitus can be when it is loud and intrusive.

I wish you well
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It depends. After i carry the shopping bags and i put them down to open the door, i get pulsatile tinnitus, which goes away quickly, in a few minutes.
      But it happened to me to have this sad experience: i decided to walk briskly, around of a lake. After a couple of tours, when i entered in the silence of my apartment, my T tinnitus was so much louder than when i went outside. I burst into tears. I was trying to do something healthy for my body and that was the result that i got. Very discouraging. I do not remeber how long the increase lasted: a day, two, or maybe i took a Roche Rivotril to help me fall asleep and to forget about everything, i just do not remeber.
      Another time i was running after a bus. Each time one of my feet was touching the pavement i was hearing my T much louder. I caught the bus, but i started to cry and i did not have a handkerchief with me, to wipe my nose. So high/average impact exercising is not good for me.
      Do you know what exercise is good for me and my T? Swimming. Not only that it does not increase my T, but it lowers it, and tansforms it into a general hum that is very easy for me, compared to tonal T.
      Cycling is not bad either.
      Maybe exercising increases T because one type of my T (i am positive that i have several types) is caused by the inner ear getting not enough, or too much blood, and i read that when this happens, the inner ear starts to ring.

No matter what the impact on T may be, to stop execising is the worst mistake you could make. I did that, and i am sure that i added a new type of T: the one due to high bad cholesterol, which narrows the blood vessels. What are my cholesterol levels? I did not have the courage to check.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Inner Ear May Take Beating From High-Impact Aerobics
      PEOPLE who engage in demanding physical activities might expect to suffer occasional injuries to the body parts directly involved. But few devotees of high-impact aerobics are likely to guess that their jumping and bouncing to music could damage their inner ears, causing symptoms like persistent vertigo, dizziness, imbalance, motion sickness, ringing or fullness in the ear and high-frequency hearing loss.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/04/06/us/inner-ear-may-take-beating-from-high-impact-aerobics.html

• Informative Informative x 3
    10. Screamin Ears
      Crappy

Screamin Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hard to say, but one thing it definitely is is a warning to either turn the volume down further or not listen through headphones anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ryan B
      Worried

Ryan B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you all for responding. I really appreciate it.
      Hopefully this is only a spike in my tinnitus due to an exposure to my headphones.
      I will continue to take my supplements and steroid nasal sprays that were provided to me by my doctor for my ETD.

Again Thank You All for Responding,
      Ryan B.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      I am a live example here, since I caused my tinnitus by listening to the headphones at lower volume at my workplace!!!

13. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      do not use them