Exposed Myself to Freezing Cold — Tinnitus Now Spiking

Discussion in 'Support' started by Roz17, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Roz17

Roz17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concussion
      I was outside in below freezing weather without much on for about 30 minutes (long story) and woke up with a severe tinnitus spike. Feels like day 1 again. I’ve now read that cold weather does affect tinnitus.

Has anyone noticed a direct spike from short term, extreme exposure to cold? I am trying to understand why this is happening and if it’s permanent (which I’m sure it’s not).

2. Davey
      Amazed

Davey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/01/2000
      I noticed a spike from cold exposure. It was near freezing temperatures and was walking with my dog. After an hour my face was totally red and cold. It was also spiking allot. Had these annoying 12.000 hz spike and could feel it too. It went away when I warmed up and focussed on my posture. The next day it happened again, but after that the cold weather went away.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. jeas

jeas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 25, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/Neck
      I live where it’s extremely cold. It can get as low as -50 degrees Fahrenheit during our winters.

In my experience my tinnitus spikes when I’m in the cold shivering. I believe my muscles being tense causes my spikes.

Hopefully you’re will subside! Mine usually do.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Angela Riffe
      Mellow

Angela Riffe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I live in Minnesota (northern US next to Canada) so plenty of days below freezing this winter. I've noticed no effect on my tinnitus at all. My tinnitus is from a loud sound exposure. Perhaps if your tinnitus is somatic (can be controlled by your body) cold weather could play a role on your body posture (visiting in the cold) and spike your tinnitus? Just a theory.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roz17

Roz17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concussion
      It’s heavily somatic, and is an injury related tinnitus, so I think the top commenter hit the nail on the head. It’s a bit lower than it was, and I’m confident it’ll go away to normal levels with time. Thanks for the support and information.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. Davey
      Amazed

Davey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/01/2000
      It will go back to a normal level, yours is from a concussion, how did this happen?