Exposure to Very Loud Race Car at 45-50 Feet

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sean, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Just couple of hours ago a very loud car passed by me at 40-45 feet. It was as loud as race car according to my dad.

Car accelerated just for 5-6 seconds but it was very very loud.

I had spike this morning because of last night drinking and loud restaurant. I think the spike I had subsided since restaurant was probably not loud because it had no music.

It's been just a bad few weeks for me after more than a year of very mild tinnitus.

I think the car noise must have been around 100-110 dB. I am having a spike... do you guys think this can cause me a permanent spike?

I am stressed out. Please advise.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My guess is that the spike is going to be temporary. Keep in mind that (surprisingly) temporary spikes often last longer than a week. So if you still have a spike after a week, there is still reason to hope that it might be temporary.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-was-your-longest-spike.22099/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I hope so man ..I didn't use the plug with 33 dB which I had mentioned to you earlier this morning . Had I been wearing those plug i would be enjoying my Sunday and not stressing out .

By the sound volume drops -6 DB every time distance double . If car was 140 dB loud at 6 feet ( it was a race car ) after 40 feet I am sure by the time sound reached my ear it couldn't have been louder than 100 dB . If that's the case my T should be back to normal level soon .
      I feel so stupid !!

4. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      @Sean Try not to worry about every loud noise you hear. I was too very anxious about loud noises last 6 months, but not any of those sounds have made any damage. You can check my posts.

Noise levels measured during the race ranged from 96.5 to 104 dB(A) at 46 meters ( approximately 150 feet) from the track and 99 to 109 dB(A) at 6 meters ( approximately 20 feet) from the track.

So 98-109 dB. You can be in 115 dB noise for max 15 seconds and your ears wont get damaged.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Thank you ..I hope you are right .
      It just sucks to worry about this .

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sean Yeah, I know that feeling. I am currently having a really bad spike.:( Only slept 4 hours last night :confused:

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Apicalypse77...hang in there . I know easy to say but I am trying my best to just relax .
      I do have little bit of whistle in my left ear and I hear it at work . Normally I don't hear T at work because of computer /Ac etc .
      It's not as loud but I still hear that shit ! I am sure it's because of the car incident . I am hopeful that it will subside in a week .

• Like Like x 1
    8. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sean That sucks man! Let's hope that our spikes will subside, spikes usually last for about a one week.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      You mentioned you slept only 4 hours . I know if I sleep less then next day I have spike .
      May be you can take mild sleeping aid for a day or two ..may be melatonin or diphenhydramine 50 mg .
      I know spike always subsides but T is such a beast we forget this when there is a spike and we panic.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      How did you get spike ? I usually get it if I get exposed to loud noise or if I can't sleep I am tired .

11. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sean how are you doing now, my friend? Has your spike ended yet? :)

12. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The more you worry about this @Sean the more stressed you will become. Read the positivity document in my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. Use sound enrichment at night.

Michael

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Apocalypse77 ..spike is on and off . It's not as bad but i really wish it goes back down like before. I really don't think I have done any major damage just can't figure out this spike .
      I just got home and my Ac and fan both are on but I still hear hissing sound. It's not loud but it is still there .
      How are you doing ?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Michael Leigh , I agree . That car did cause spike but i think it will settle down soon .
      It's been one thing or another !

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Michael Leigh , what's your opinion on owning a loud car. I have a sport car /race car which I bought 3 years ago and I made it quite my putting a resonator in the muffler .
      It's still loud ( around 67-73 dB) and 85 dB on iPhone app ( I think that's incorrect ) .it has low humming sound like a Lamborghini but on a hand held meter it only shows max 75 dB. Do you think these type of noise can worsen T ? It seems I never had spike because of car but who knows of constant noise is irritating my ears or not .

16. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you find the sound car irritating then use "noise reducing earplugs" when driving it. Soon as you start to feel better discontinue using the earplugs. Earplugs have their uses but shouldn't be used too often as there's a risk of making your auditory system hypersensitive to sound.

17. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sean The spike is off that I got from the barber shop. I hope your spike will end too. Best wishes for you. :)

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Apocalypse77 , hey bro that's awesome !
      Mine is on and off man.yesteday was ok i could hear hissing all night and now .
      I am glad you are better .

• Like Like x 1