Extremely Sensitive to Frequencies — I Have Loudness Hyperacusis, Reactive and High-Pitched Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Capstan, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Hi all

I have been researching for months but can't find anyone dealing with my set of issues. I think it's very extreme.

In January my tinnitus worsened. I've went Dr to Dr and it's worsened my situation. I had two tympanograms at two different ENTs. I had a new tone from one then hyperacusis started shortly after the other. In between I listened to Pink Noise and masked using my computer speakers so I could work. It must have been too loud and I am afraid that it triggered reactive tinnitus and sensitivity to frequencies. I now have loudness hyperacusis, reactive tinnitus and high pitched tinnitus. I'm unable to sleep but an hour or two when I take meds. Most noise is too much and has even made showers and working on my computer is hard due to the hum.

The worst part is somewhere along the way I began being highly reactive to specific frequencies where some noises pierce through my brain leaving me feel like my head exploded. I'm trying to survive but this is torture. I believe I lost some high frequency hearing because fans and motors now miss fullness. Water is glassy, paper and plastic bags sound metallic. I have had new tones and some that my ear picks up from external sounds.

A few days after my last tympanogram I woke up with everything sounding super loud. My tinnitus also became louder. I felt like my gain in my head got turned up all the way. That part has slightly improved but I'm still left with sharp noises being to loud and now my tinnitus reacts to my sensitive frequencies.

I really feel like I've screwed up handling when my tinnitus worsened and now it's severe. I don't want to give up but my case doesn't look very good at improving. I don't think ears heal tbh.

The sensitivity / reactive tinnitus is the most debilitating. I've not left home in a month.

Has anybody suffered through or recovered from any these type of issues? Looking for any hope.

Thank you friends.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Capstan

Capstan Guest

Hi @Telis and @valeri - do you have advice? I am really struggling with reactive tinnitus.

Thank you in advance.

3. Sfboxrz

Sfboxrz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety? Noise Exposure? Unsure
      Hello @Capstan,

Are you better these days? My prayers are that you have normalized some and are doing better.

Best,
      SfB

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Capstan

Capstan Guest

Hi @Sfboxrz,

It's been a long time since I posted. There's been a lot of changes; some positives and some not so with my hyperacusis. I'm doing better mentally than a year ago though. I have hope for better days.

Thank you for asking.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      Thanks for the update. It’s really helpful to see people come back and post. I hope things continue to get better for you.

• Like Like x 1
    6. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Hi @Capstan, my tinnitus profile matches yours. Happy to hear you are doing better. Can you give us another update?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Capstan

Capstan Guest

@IntotheBlue03, I am not sure what I can offer to help but I'd recommend finding something enjoyable that can distract you. For me, as silly as it sounds, it was wasting time on TikTok watching fun videos.

I say this because all the research can contribute to anxiety (and sadness). I found there's nothing you can find that will do more for you than time. Improvement can be very slow. Some of my more problematic symptoms are still improving even at 2 years, so remain optimistic.

Also, after 2 years, I now find all of the conjecture, the PubMed articles, and the doctors as BS. I know I already said it, but none of that stuff can help besides time. Do whatever you need to get yourself there; for you and your mental health.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Capstan, I am also suffering with reactive tinnitus. I had some success treating it with SSRI and wite noise some years back. I am now back again because of some stupid mistakes.

Did you every try any meds?

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Capstan

Capstan Guest

I did. I took Alprazolam for anxiety for a month before switching to Clonazepam for longer lasting benefits and to help get my sleep back. I too feel it reduces the loudness of tinnitus and severity of hyperacusis. It wasn't perfect but helped me manage until my tinnitus and hyperacusis reduced. I didn't see any natural improvement until 1.5 years.

My personal story here, I'm not suggesting benzos for anyone, but my hyperacusis symptoms went from bad to worse around the 12 month mark. I started experiencing facial and cranial burning in addition to my already bad ear pain. Although I had SSRIs prescribed due to my mental state, and that doctors hand them out at the first sign of distress, I had decided early on not take them for fear my situation could worsen. I needed something to survive and they helped. After I noticed natural improvement I started a slow taper of Clonazepam. While I would notice my hyperacusis a bit more after each taper it never became worse than my original baseline.

Not to flame war here but I used to think reactive tinnitus was distinct. After 2 years of it, I'm now more inclined to say it's part of my hyperacusis. As my hyperacusis improves so does reactivity. My hyperacusis continues to slowly fade similar to what @Mister Muso recently posted on his profile. I'm about 6 months behind him and remain optimistic it will continue.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      How's your audiogram? Does it show high frequency hearing loss?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      100% agree. Great to hear that you are progressing for the better!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Capstan

Capstan Guest

Yes, this is from 3 months after my acoustic injury. I don't hear metallic sounds correctly, but water, paper and plastic bags are fine now.

IMG_20200519_193119.jpg

13. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      I would just like to concur with your statement above and @MindOverMatter's agreement with it too.

The way I tend to define reactive tinnitus these days is; a symptomatic intersect between tinnitus and hyperacusis in some people.

Really pleased to hear you're improving (y)

• Like Like x 4
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Capstan

Capstan Guest

Thank you and I totally agree with this description. It's a very fine way of putting it. :)

15. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I think you should not worry too much about those very high frequencies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Capstan

Capstan Guest

If only the audiogram told the tale of the tape but as you know it's not always representative of the experience. I have followed your hyperacusis as a guide. I wish you all the best.

• Like Like x 1
    17. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Hey @Capstan, curious how long you were on Clonazepam and how long your taper was?

I’m currently considering moving to Clonazepam for the longer half life after experiencing increasing and severe panic over the past few weeks despite having started with Grandaxin. In truth, I started with Grandaxin because I thought it would be less addicting but it was only halfway effective for my anxiety. I’m hoping I didn’t develop any withdrawal and everyone is telling me I haven’t but I’ve noticed that Clonazepam does help make me feel better for at least 24 hours+ when taking 1 mg. Also my anxiety/panic was just as severe before starting Grandaxin and I don’t have an addictive personality.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience, I’m desperate but hopeful.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Capstan

Capstan Guest

I was on Clonazepam for 1.5 years. Horrible, but like you, I don't have an addictive personality. I looked at it simply as what was needed to make it to tomorrow. I saw withdrawal as a future problem and without something there wasn't going to be one!

Everyone is different but my withdrawal wasn't bad. I was only up to 1 mg at peak and tapered to 0.25 mg over 6 months. I read all the same things about microtapering and Ashton method too. All that stuff can mess with your mind. Listen to your body and its signals. When I tried to come down too early / fast my body told me. Try not to overthink it. I know first hand that it's hard when you're trying to find help. It's simple as this: listen to your body and find something that provides enjoyment so you give yourself time to heal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Thanks @Capstan. This is super helpful. That’s currently what I’m on at peak (1 mg or less). I do think short term benzo use probably goes well for most people but of course the few horror stories scare you to death.

Happy to hear your withdrawal wasn’t bad and yes that Ashton taper seems very intimidating. Did you have any anxiety/panic as withdrawal symptoms at all? Those are my only “symptoms” but they’re very severe.

20. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Capstan

Capstan Guest

No, I didn't have any anxiety/panic as withdrawal symptoms. I totally had anxiety/panic for the first six months. If I cut back on my prescription during that period, oh yes, it would unmask my fear. However, after enough time of living with this stuff, I came to accept my condition, which is why I didn't have "rebound" anxiety/panic during the taper. Again, your body will tell you when you get there. It will, just give it time.

I'll also share I had two counselors during the first year, but it was of very little help in arriving at this point. Trust me when I say, I was bad off, I found myself Baker Acted about 2 months after my acoustic injury at an audiologist appointment. They just were not able to get me to accept any faster than the natural time was going to take me. I also had a psychiatrist but truly they only act as drug dispensaries.

I ended up asking my general practitioner for Clonazepam to help manage my anxiety/panic because my psychiatrist didn't want to use benzos for management. I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to discontinue them, but here I am. It took time and a desire to discontinue. Hope this helps you in some way.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Capstan

Capstan Guest

I came across Kevin two years ago. He puts off Julian Cowan vibs to me. Reading that FAQ immediately puts a pit in my stomach. I have zero trust for people making their living off curing tinnitus. He says "we’ve worked with people who have had tinnitus 35 years and had it eliminated." Total red flag for me.

23. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Capstan, yes, you are right. He is too much of a salesman. But I also think that there are others that truly try to help.

Sorry if I ask again but was Clonazapam the obvious choice? Did you ever consider SSRIs?

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Capstan

Capstan Guest

No, I ruled them out. I was struggling bad with sleep and found help through benzos. I had tried Zolpidem but it only gave me 4 hours of sleep. My reasons for not using SSRI were 1) affecting sleep, 2) no preexisting mental health condition 3) anecdotal reports on the forum of increased tinnitus and 4) long term dependence. I viewed Clonazapam as a good short term solution to get through a tough spell. At Mayo Clinic they prescribed Gabapentin for my ear pain, but I discontinued after it spiked my tinnitus after two days of use.

I can only speak to what was best for me. We're all going through something unique. If you have other comorbidities, SSRIs and other treatment maybe more appropriate. Always discuss it with your physician to determine what is the best management method for you.