Factors Possibly Contributing to My Tinnitus: COVID-19 Vaccine, Dental Work, Stress, Noise, Low B12

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LillyB, May 6, 2022.

1. LillyB

LillyB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,

My experience with tinnitus is a range of sounds and sensations in addition to some hyperacusis. I hear what I describe as a high pitched ringing in my head, sometimes it changes to a lower hissing sound. Sometimes it sounds like what I would describe as static from a TV or something.

My right ear feels full at times and makes a crackling noise. Initially, it would also flutter. Noise sounded louder initially too, including some voices even. This has improved. Sometimes I can hear a kind of echo when I speak.

I do not know the cause of the tinnitus but there were many possible contributing or aggravating factors.

I would appreciate any insights from those with similarities or experience or knowledge from others on this forum.

The first I ever heard any ringing in my ears was the day after my COVID-19 booster vaccine in November 2021. I had the vaccine late in the evening. I woke up, took an early morning walk and then began to feel effects of the vaccine. I took a nap and woke up with my first thought being that my ears are ringing. I was extremely grateful that it lasted only a few minutes.

It wasn't until January 2022 that I began to hear the ringing again. I had an appointment with my regular MD and I was hoping maybe some ear wax would be the cause and removal the cure, but unfortunately not.

The tinnitus became constant and I became extremely distressed.

A visit to the ENT revealed a mild mid-range hearing loss in the right ear which initially he thought may be viral, not age-related and hoped that cortisone injections into the eardrum would help. They did not. One anti anxiety pill got me out of crisis, but I did not want to continue with the pills. Still, it didn't take much for me to feel torture and grief. Ever since my life has felt tenuous... like I am keeping my head above water but suddenly I'm drowning again

The ENT concluded that the hearing loss was probably due to aging and the cause of the tinnitus and that in 6 to 12 months, I would adjust to it. He did acknowledge that I had high stress factors in my life and recommended CBT. He said the crackling was probably the Eustachian tube but scheduled me to a return visit in 6 months.

Factors that might have contributed:
      1. The COVID-19 vaccine possibly
      2. A chipped back tooth on the right in October 2021. Crown on that tooth in December, and then a root canal on same tooth in January 2022, probably a week before tinnitus began. I have wondered if stress caused me to clench my teeth or if my tooth is actually cracked, but so far there is no definite dental diagnosis after revisits to endodontist, and my tooth is still sensitive.
      3. A conflict with my sister in October that left me feeling extremely stressed, emotionally attacked, confused, and disheartened. It has resolved somewhat after efforts mostly on my part, but is still difficult.
      4. NOISE - A massive construction project that began when lockdown began just feet from my home.. Plus construction on the house behind my home too. Other neighborhood noise as well. At work, music all day.
      5. Health - my B12 was in normal range but low. I am taking supplements. No MD has thus far agreed to test my Magnesium level.
      I was eating sweet and salty foods. I am doing better but it didn't change the tinnitus.

I have a history of two episodes of vertigo which the MD said were classic BPV (Benign Positional Vertigo). And I have a history of motion sickness, two severe episodes, landing me in ER

Finally, I have always been somewhat sensitive/irritated to noises.

As far as protecting my ears, I do not use headphones and rarely even listen to music. Quiet has always been very very important to me... and the increasing noise in my neighborhood had been affecting me over last few years. Quiet.. the idea of moving one day so that I could once again experience peace and quiet was what was carrying me through... and now... I live with constant noise.

Hope is the thread I am holding onto.

Thanks to this forum, I have turned to it to learn and try to cope. I manage to distract myself often but it's not easy.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. karsten

karsten Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Massive earwax plug left unremoved for too long.
      Which ear do you have the tinnitus in?

My tinnitus (which I got in 2011/12, but died down to almost nothing after 5 years, was reactivated to screeching levels the evening of the very same day I got my first Pfizer COVID-19 shot, some three weeks ago -- after 6 years of near silence).

That was in my left ear. My right ear, meanwhile, has no tinnitus, but has the fullness/crackling that you describe, though not to that level of echo.

I'd guess it was the vaccine that triggered your tinnitus, based on my own experience.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LillyB

LillyB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hear the noise in my head but my right ear has the hearing loss, and all of the other symptoms.

4. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      I too developed tinnitus right after the booster.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LillyB

LillyB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Some days are very very difficult...

It feels like torture and it is exhausting to try to be distracted and to think peace and quiet may no longer ever be possible again.

• Agree Agree x 1