Favorite Live Music Performances on YouTube

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by chamferman, Jun 13, 2015.

1. chamferman
      Musical

chamferman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/ 2013
      My whole life I have always loved listening to music. I just cannot help tapping my fingers, moving my body to the rhythm, singing along I am sure you all know what I mean. :)

When I first got T&H I stopped listening to anything for a couple of years:( but as I slowly habituated to the T and the H became less I have gradually got back to listening to music at sensible sound levels. I am now enjoying the pleasure of falling in love with it all over again mostly through watching live performances on Youtube.

I have also gone to a local blue clubs and and sat out side and listened cannot go in as far too loud for me.

Some of my favourite live music performances at the moment are

Isn't it a pity - Concert for George

My Sweet Lord, Concert For George (High Quality)

B.B. King - Sweet Sixteen (Live in Kinshasa)

B.B.King & Friends - Night Of Blistering...

2. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
    3. KT_

KT_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
    4. Frank.N.Steen

Frank.N.Steen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to music while wearing earphones
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      One of the best drum solo ever : Michael Shrieve with Santana at Woodstock.
      Santana:SOUL SACRIFICE:Woodstock Music...

• Like Like x 1
    6. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      What about Neil Peart? :)
      RUSH - Best intro EVER!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Frank.N.Steen

Frank.N.Steen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "All Rush, all the time. No Exceptions."
      All Rush, all the time. No Exceptions.

A big fan of Rush, especially their 70s and 80s albums, and where my favorite Live performance of them is this version of the classic Witch Hunt:
      Rush - Witch Hunt - Live 1984 (Remastered)...

• Like Like x 1
    8. Frank.N.Steen

Frank.N.Steen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really wish somebody would go on and release some of the legendary concerts these guys did during the 70s and early 80s on DVD or Blu-ray, hell I do not care about the video quality (would have been nice with ok picture) but for me, this is music history and I could easily settle for VHS quality.
      Love these old 1980s clips from the Computer World period of 1981, where they are not just standing still in front of some computer, but looks like they are actually having fun and what looks like the inside of some alien spaceship, as you have these german synth-wizards just bangin' out one funky electro classic after another.
      Heimcomputer (1981)
      KRAFTWERK - Heimcomputer (Live 1981 - ORF) -...

• Like Like x 1
    9. Frank.N.Steen

Frank.N.Steen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A true synth-pop pioneer of the early 80s with a more funky and warmer sound than many of his british synth co-workers. An great live clip from the mini-concert video "Live: Wireless!" (1983) which was included as a bonus DVD disc on my remastred 2009 CD version of his classic synth-pop album The Golden Age of Wireless (1982).
      Anyway, here we get a incredible performance by Thomas Dolby and his fantastic backing band.
      This concert also included Lene Lovich on guest vocals (I think on at least two of his songs).
      One of our Submarines is Missing Tonight (1981)
      Thomas Dolby - One Of Our Submarines Is...

• Like Like x 1
    10. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Just by looking at that drums, my ears are burning :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
    11. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      YouTube is fantastic.
      But I have not been using it because loosing part of my hearing and gaining T, H and distortion is still too raw to deal with. Even after more than two years!
      But this thread in TT perhaps helps me accepting it and enjoy music again.
      My favourite drummer by the way is is Ginger Baker. I think his timing is perfect (but I am not a musician:dunno:). It just sounds awesome.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Frank.N.Steen

Frank.N.Steen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Youtube used to be one of the first places I visited.
      I could spend hours after hours just going through and discover new favorite artists, songs and albums, but also looking up all the "lost" live performances, which a lot of the times, seems to rarely find their way on a quality DVD/Blu-ray release.

I like the classic Midge Ure Ultravox line-up, especially the one during the early 80s along with the album Vienna (1980), however my favorite version have always been the more chaotic and raw period from 1976-1978 where the band called themselves Ultravox! (! was a tribute to german kraut-rockers NEU!) and were heavily inspired by artists such as Kraftwerk, Roxy Music, David Bowie and Sex Pistols, but also the bleak and futuristic work of J.G. Ballard.
      Between 1977-78 they got a record deal with Island records, and went on to release three solid albums, Ultravox! (1976), Ha!-Ha!-Ha! (1977) and Systems of Romance (1978) that was to be produced by Brian Eno, Steve Lillywhite and Conny Plank.
      Their first one feels almost like a "best-off" album, as it includes very different kind of music genres, with everything from prog-rock, punk, disco, synth-pop, reggae, classical music and kraut-rock, however it did not go well with the audience or the critics, as england was now on the verge of having their own punk-rock mania, and without much chance of scoring any hit-singles, Ultravox promising debut ended up as a complete failure.

Angered and frustrated by poor record sales and little to no media attention, the band decided to go with the "flow" and include a much more angrier sound and lyrics which seemed to back up the bands flirt with the punk-rock genre, however the real key moment on their second album was the stunning synth-ballad, Hiroshima Mon Amour which was to become the direction the band was always looking for and something which would connect them with their future releases, Systems of Romance (1978) and Vienna (1980).
      While the John Foxx Ultravox never seemed to hit off with the critics or the record audiences, they did however play a very important part in closing down the bridge or gap between the prog-rock/glam-rock/disco and the punk-rock where as Ultravox sought for something more futuristic (not quite Kraftwerk) but with a more melodic, warmer and tighter sound, one that would finally be "perfected" when Gary Numan decided to ditch the punk-rock and go all synth which would become a stroke of genius as his megahits Are Friends Electric (1979) and Cars (1979) meant that the "future" had arrived.
      Ultravox - Hiroshima Mon Amour - Old Grey...

I go a little carried away, sorry about that. Anyway, here is my favorite live performance of the haunting synth-pop masterpiece, Hiroshima Mon Amour from the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1978.
      A very different version than the original, but I think they should have went on a recorded this live performance as a single, as it is just as powerful as the album version.
      Ultravox - Slowmotion & Hiroshima Mon...

Here is actually the whole clip, containing both Slowmotion (fantastic album opener of Sytems of Romance and Hiroshima Mon Amour). There is another video with better picture quality, but the sound is not so good as this one.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also like the fact that there is material out there that is copied form VHS. (A home system anyway and not a professional/broadcast video source). Unusual clips therefore survived.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chamferman
      Musical

chamferman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/ 2013