Fed Up With It Now...

Discussion in 'Support' started by click, Jan 20, 2013.

1. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      ok enough is enough. I'm sick of it now. Even on the low days I am completely sick of it. It's not so bad during the day - you can keep your mind on other things and keep busy.

Most days I'm feeling positive but I just have these moments when I really don't want to get 'busy' - I just want to do nothing! I try to relax... and THERE it is. Even if it's just a low hiss - it's still there!! Even if it goes away - it comes back - arrrgh.

Anyone else who has pretty well adjusted to the fact that we have T and most of the time it's in perspective and then you have these moments...?

How do you get through them? (without drugs!)

ps. markku - why can't we edit the title when we edit? title has error - edit won't edit title... oh dear :oops:

2. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Well click I certainly know what you mean... This is the main problem with tinnitus I guess, on busy days it is really possible to just "forget" about it but what to do when trying to relax...? I guess there is no solution. There are few things I do and few things I try to avoid. I usually lie down on my back, no putting my ear to a pillow! I make some warm tea to calm down. If it is too silent, I turn on a discovery channel or animal planet and look for things like waterfall sounds or underwater... I guess this is as good as it can get. In all honesty I wish I had your fluctuating T that gets you some good days when it's barely audible :p Mine doesn't fluctuate that much anymore. It is rather stable and well, still a bit annoying.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks Fish - I do the same kind of thing really. It's just that just sometimes it doesn't work. And then I have a few moments.

I'm not sure about wishing it went away. The only good thing is that it makes me believe that it will go away eventually.

Remember what it was like back when it started? It's like a sudden onslaught every time it comes back.

You can't enjoy the silent hours very much because you know it's not over - it's not gone.

Also - there is no hope of habituation - because it goes away and then starts all over again.

I know it sounds ungrateful - I should be glad of the relief when it's not there - but believe me, when it's a bad day, it's screeching as though it didn't know it could go away!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      like the new pic of cute cat :)

5. Marty

Marty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      I have good days and I have bad days with my tinnitus. Since I love music that's my best tip to forget the tinnitus on calm days. I can't lay my head down on the pillow and relax while listening, if I want to forget it since I hear it much louder if my ear is against the pillow. But still just enjoying music is my number one advice. Most of the time I don't hear the tinnitus, even though it's louder volume than the music itself, but I get so caught up in the sound that I just don't notice it.

I'll try think of a few more things and if I come up with something good I'll come back and post that later:).

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks Marty - it seems we all have trouble laying our ears against pillows

7. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Hi click,

Reading a good book while playing background sounds--like waterfalls--always relaxes me. Audio books may also be useful. It's easy to loose yourself in the narration. Of course, watching movies with loved ones--who have no expectations of you--is very relaxing and allows you to forget about your tinnitus.

8. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      be grateful you have low days. i wish i had low days. today my head is absolutely screaming. the noise is all encompassing and cannot be masked by anything.

9. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Fixed the title as per implied request in first post :)

10. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      A limitation of the forum software. It's been requested years ago, but it's still to be implemented.

XenForo (the company behind the forum software) is currently (or has been for a while now) facing legal troubles as IB (the owner of vBulletin) is trying to put them to ground. The case is really complicated, and many think IB as a bigger company is only bullying XenForo. Many expect XenForo to win it, but so far it has really cost XenForo: it has hampered the development and for the past year or so XF hasn't been developed that much.

More can be read here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/california-case-update.10037/

Hopefully they can resume to development soon and new (some even basic, like title editing) features become available.

Currently it's technically only possible for moderators to edit titles, there's no permission setting at all for regular users to have that ability. So I'm not able to just turn it on for regulars at the moment, since there is no such setting.

@DezDog: thanks. (y)

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      ta dez :)

12. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      click
      aren't you the person who sent me all the info on the people whose t went away after a long time. don't back out on me now. i also get so frustrated when after an orthotic for a year straight my tmj is better but the t is still there and yes it does change at times. i put ear drops in my ear for two days because i thought i had a wax build up on that ear and now i'm panicking because i thought it could have done more damage. tell me something good...

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hello Chicken :)

It was just a momentary blip - honest!

These days I really only get tinnitus that bothers me once every 6 or 7 days - so life is really good :D

T is still there most of the time but it is so distant and quiet that it doesn't matter. If I listen for it, I can hear it, but most of the time I forget all about it.

And I am still absolutely positive that it will go away completely one day.

Despite all this, when it's loud it still drives me bonkers - even if it's only for a few 'moments'... I do try and say 'hey it'll go quiet again - just don't panic' but we all get times when we wonder whether we can cope I suppose.

Don't get anxious about the ear drops - just don't use any more if you're worried. I really think that staying positive is the best medicine for tinnitus.

Don't panic! Remember, if it can change then it can also disappear.
      Stay calm and happy - smile your way through it.
      And if it really gets to you... then come on here and scream - that's what I do :cautious:

Take Care Chicken

Jane

• Like Like x 1