Feedback/Ringing When Talking

Discussion in 'Support' started by kevin89carolina, May 21, 2014.

1. kevin89carolina

kevin89carolina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 30, 2014
      First off, hope everyone is doing well..

I've been trying to stay clear of this forum and all other forums. Just to try to accept it and get on with my life. I would occasionally come back and read stuff, but now that I have some questions, I just thought I'd ask and see what the responses would be like..

Within the last week-2 weeks I've noticed that whenever I talk, I experience a weird buzzing/whistling/feedback type sound that goes along with my voice. It seems to get louder with certain consonants or words? I dont know anymore. It's almost like talking into a tin bowl or something that echoes off something metallic.

The other sounds are still there. The morse code metallic sound whenever the water runs, or the fan is on. the "ran ran ranranranra ran ranr ran ran" sound.

All I've been trying to do is to stay positive, accept it, and move on. But it seems like there's a sound after a sound after another sound. It's so hard to move on when something new comes. All I do is work, go to the gym, try to eat healthy, and do things that I love.

Has anybody else experience this? Can anybody here offer me some support or help? Need some positive feedback here. Thank you guys

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. When my t and h set in i had reactive tinnitus. It would ring like ra ra ra to ticking clock or other noises. Sometimes when i spoke. It went away. Don't know why. I feel like it was an effect of h..still have h but now instead of reactive t i have flutters to sounds but not to ticking clocks. Louder sounds including my own voice and also when I swallow. Ears are peculiar and it seems for some of us everchanging. .kinda sucks! Too bad docs don't have answers. Maybe someday. Sorry this post probably doesn't help at all or answer your questions. Just letting you know, I understand your frustration :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      it's the tympany tensor syndrome, perfectly bening, it's an over protection triggered by your brain.

4. tychobrae
      Alone

tychobrae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      I don't have your particular symptoms but in the last few months I have acquired several new sounds, all very different, and it makes it very hard to habituate. I can't offer any wise words but I understand how hard it is. I tbink you're doing the right things in getlting on with your life; that's what I'm trying to do, too.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kevin89carolina

kevin89carolina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 30, 2014
      Is it permanent? Or will it go away with time?

6. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      speaking about me, i got that for more than 12 years but as i said a few times before, this is just a feeling like hairs moving with the wind, that's not painful nor disturbing.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kevin89carolina

kevin89carolina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 30, 2014
      Thanks for the reply but could you go into more detail about this? What caused yours and is the TTS caused by "over-hearing" and your brain being on red alert while listening to your tinnitus? Almost every sound I hear has a sort of quiet to moderate feedback type beeping/whistling/metallic sound. No pain. Just a distortion to sounds. More commonly while the sink is running, shower, fan is on, toilet refilling water, those kinds of sounds make it louder

8. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,
      I'm also a little in this. I have a very weird thing, if someone does brush teeth with an electric brush,
      I will hear this sound some mintues repeating... that's absolutely strange!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      i think an accoustic trauma more than 12 years ago caused that, i had no tinnitus though at that time but few weeks after the event i noticed this thing moving in my ear when i was talking or hearing certain sounds.

it bothered me a bit at first but then i realized it didn"t distort sound, wasn't painful and also if my tympany is busy vibrating, the TTS doesn't happen.

ex: listening to music at home and having a chat with friends, i mostly don"t get TTS.

Today i was checking some CCTV/DVR i was in a very quiet watch tower, the DVR started to beep and the TTS happened, it's more prominent in my right ear than in my left.

10. Actually tensor tympanic syndrome can cause severe pain.

11. The tensor tympani reflex is a startle reflex, which is exaggerated by high stress levels. [1],[2] The tensor tympani muscle contracts immediately preceding the sounds produced during self-vocalisation, suggesting it has an established protective function to loud sounds, [3] assists in the discrimination of low frequency sounds, [4] and is involved in velopharyngeal movements. [3],[4]

Tonic tensor tympani syndrome (TTTS) was originally described by Dr. I. Klockhoff. [5],[6],[7],[8] TTTS is an involuntary condition where the centrally mediated reflex threshold for tensor tympani muscle activity becomes reduced, so it is continually and rhythmically contracting and relaxing. [5],[6],[7],[8] This appears to initiate physiological reactions in and around the ear without objectively measurable dysfunction or pathology. [4],[9] Symptoms consistent with TTTS can include: tinnitus; rhythmic aural sensations such as clicks and tympanic membrane flutter; alterations in ventilation of the middle ear cavity leading to a sense of aural blockage or fullness, a frequent aural "popping" sensation and mild vertigo; [10],[11] minor alterations in middle ear impedance [12] leading to fluctuating symptoms of "muffled" and/or "distorted" hearing; irritation of the trigeminal nerve innervating the tensor tympani muscle, leading to pain, numbness and burning sensations in and around the ear, along the cheek, neck and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) area. [9],[10]

The specific and consistent cluster of physiological symptoms of acoustic shock (AS) is consistent with TTTS, without underlying aural or TMJ pathology. [2],[3],[9] AS can occur involuntarily after exposure to a sudden unexpected loud sound perceived as highly threatening (acoustic incident). AS becomes an acoustic shock disorder (ASD) if symptoms persist.[2],[3],[9] AS was originally identified in call center staff, who are vulnerable to AS because of the increased likelihood of exposure near the ear(s) to an acoustic incident transmitted via a telephone headset. [2],[3],[9] The research on AS has focused on this cohort, however acoustic incidents can occur anywhere.

Symptoms such as aural pain and a sensation of aural blockage/fullness, with no underlying aural or TMJ pathology, have been observed in tinnitus and hyperacusis patients. These symptoms have been linked to TTTS by Jastreboff and Hazell [13]and Westcott. [3] However, these symptoms have not been widely acknowledged or investigated in this patient population. TTTS has been more intensively investigated in temporomandibular disorder (TMD) research, with TTTS considered to be a secondary consequence of TMD and/or TMJ dysfunction, predominantly responsible for referred tinnitus, ear pain and other symptoms in and around the ear. [4],[10],[11],[14]

http://www.noiseandhealth.org/artic...;issue=63;spage=117;epage=128;aulast=Westcott

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kevin89carolina

kevin89carolina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 30, 2014
      I'm not hearing clicking or popping. No pain. Just a distortion kind of sound that's around a 4/10 on the loudness scale. Like I said it gets louder whenever the sink is running, toilet filling up, fan blowing. Like a fast "ranran ran ranranranranran ran ran ran ranranranran ." Or a kind of seashell sounding whistle morse code sound along with the weird sound I hear when I talk (talking into a tin bowl/metallic kind of sound). It's just loud enough to where my brain wants to really listen because it sounds off. Not bad though. It'd just be nice to know exactly what it is that I'm hearing, where it's coming from, and if it's ever going to go away? Hope does so much for somebody. Tired of guessing what this exactly is. We can guess all day long, but it would be nice to get answers instead of being uncertain everyday.

13. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      Jonathan Hazell F.R.C.S.,Late Director, Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Centre, London UK : The final stage of habituation is when the signal is no longer detected, and cortical neurones are unresponsive.

i wouldn't trust anything said by this kind of clown ;-)

we should do a poll : does TTS give you pain .

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I do not have TTS, but a loud T. My head is buzzing.
      I am really wondering how my neurons can become unresponsive and the signal is no longer detected.
      If it will some time in the next years, I will everyone let to know.

15. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Kevin does your ear sound metallic if you rub your index finger in your ear? Also does bass sound distorted to you? Like the teacher from Peanuts (Charlie Brown)?

16. Well this is Miriam Westcott not Hazell but regardless, many of us do have these symptoms along with h. I can also literally feel my tiny muscles tighten up and then if my anxiety towards the sound goes up or else the exposure is too long i get pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Exactly @Street Spirit

If i would take a shower without ear plugs, I guess I would faint after some minutes due to the insane contractions of the tensor tympani, mostly in my right ear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Can you describe the sensation you get whether physical or audio logical?

19. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It's a fluttering behind the eardrum. I can feel it contracting. It happens when I hear a sound, mostly dynamic sounds like water splashing, closing a lid, voices, handclaps etc. In the mornings my ears do this too when I wake up, even without a sound trigger. Like if I yawn or something it feels like there's air going in and out in my ear. So my jaw, neck and/or teeth must play some kind of role too. It's kind of hard to explain really. It's always worse in the morning though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Does this alter the sounds you're perceiving? Like when I take a shower my right ear sounds all wobbly like the water is intense bass rather than just free flowing drops of water. I talk about it in my post in the support forum. I'm trying to figure out what is going on with me. I've heard of TTTS but am not sure if I am experiencing it. It feels like my ear is vibrating much harder than I remember and the sounds are definitely distorted. Almost like I get a doubling over

21. I have known others to have the distortion of sound. It does say in the outline above that tts can cause distortion. I do believe it plays a part in my earlier reactive tinnitus. ( the ringing with sounds) When I yawn I hear a metallic sound or else if I wear ear plugs I get a metallic sound as I walk.I also have a roaring with yawning, like thunder but that has been with me for many years. It is really odd. Before my recent h setback my left ear started with fluttering when swallowing ..so I knew my ear wasn't happy again..When my h is better so is my tts. (not entirely gone)

• Like Like x 1
    22. When my husband massages my neck and base of head, everything gets louder and my h gets worse. I believe it puts those muscles into spasm. I'm fairly certain my problem is tmj causing everything.

23. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Do you ever get the distortion or metallic noise when you swallow? Or rub your ear with it covered? I thought hyperacusis and TTTS were temporary events that subside over time? My right ear tends to sound jumbled and wobbly when in the shower or watching tv. It seems to be specific to the noise in particular however.

24. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I don't get anything of that nature. I have musculoskeletal issues that contribute to but I don't believe are the source of the problem. My ear didn't originally do this it developed after I stupidly panicked and hit my ear out of response I a tinnitus spike that was so loud I couldn't hear myself talk and it was reacting to every noise I made even running my fingers through my hair. I lost all center and just reacted

25. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes, when mine started, it only happened infrequently and to quite loud sounds. Then the sounds would sound distorted for a few seconds. Not all loud sounds though only some, especially certain voices, like in a bar when someone with a certain voice had to raise it. Yeah I've read your post in the support forum, I'm pretty sure you have TTS from what you're describing. Some people have had great relief with trigger point therapy.

This might be of interest, however I know nothing baout trigger points so havent tried it:
      http://www.chat-hyperacusis.net/pos...proving-my-sound-tolerances-4945359?&trail=50

26. II Packy II
      Doubtful

II Packy II Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Il
      I'll look into this thank you. Have you had any luck with treating yourself or considered invasive procedure etc? Having tinnitus is one thing, but I think this is honestly more disturbing and frustrating. Naturally, they are both nightmares.

27. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No I have not been able to get some medical help at all. I've only got to meet audionoms and one ENT but no audiolog. The audionom is doing TRT with me, but I'm practically left alone with my WSG's. Gonna go meet another audionom on monday, and also visit my TRT-audionom on monday for a follow up on my TRT. It's insane that I don't get too see anyone with insight in this. I've been having T since I was 11 or something and it has never been a problem for me, I'm 100% habituated and been living a completely normal life until november 2013. But with my H, my T has also changed and become more intrusive with more sounds. Still just child's play compared to H and TTS though.

28. MADMAX
      Wishful

MADMAX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I also have the same. 6 months and the situation aggravated as time went by. Now Im noticing some distortion in speech, however my hearing tests came all normal...

29. buzzment

buzzment Member

I have sound distortion too since a noise trauma 3 weeks ago.My audiologist said it may stay or go only time will tell,i hope its the former as its annoying.He also said ears take a long time to heal.

30. Barrowww

Barrowww Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      I have the same symptoms as you do, @kevin89carolina. Did something change since the time of your post?