Fell Down Swing -> Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rinz, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Hello all,

My name is Rinz I have posted a couple of times on this forum. I am 41 and I have tinnitus (mostly right ear) for about 18 years.. Most of the time I can cope with it and am not too bothered by it.. though I do have my moments (like all of you I guess)

Last week while my sister was visiting me I went with her kids to some park. I also sat on a swing and took a couple of swings on it. When I wanted to get off I somehow did not position myself well and I fell off (I am ashamed to say) and I fell directly on my face. According to my brother in law, it was not a terribly hard blow but my right top of my face took the full impact and also bled (because it scratched on the sand). Also, I had muscle pain in my neck and shoulders and slight headache (not too bad). I was conscious, no blurry vision, no vomiting, memory loss, etc.

After a couple of days my tinnitus (which was normally manageable until then) spiked to a new loud level (right ear, which is the side I fell on). I went to the orthopedic doctor and he took some pics of my neck and such and I am fine (he said), no fractures etc. I also went to the ENT and it seems my hearing is fine (except for some low tone loss, <500 -20dB). I am just wondering whether I had a concussion (because I feel reasonably fine otherwise). The ENT prescibed some prednisolon (5mg, 1 pill per day) and I am taking vitamin B supplement and such, as well as clotiazepam (axiety medicine).

Did any of you have a similar experience.. can I expect the T to drop down to its "usual" level? I mean, I don't mind waiting.. but if it stays like this.. that would be terrible. I woke up crying and blaming myself for being so stupid to fall of a swing.. I had spikes before.. but now I am scared this is a different kind of damage.. (so not noise induced) and it might either become super loud or I will never get used to it..

Thank you for your answers...

Rinz

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Its too bad I didn't get any reply. But, in case anyone could add something, just an update. In the immediate 'aftermath' after I fell down from the swing. I was fine but 2-3 days later my neck and muscles became really stiff (they still are), also the T spike did not settle down (still high pitch in right ear) also occasionally I hear buzzing and such in my left ear. I feel that occasionally the high pitched T goes down (a bit) only to reappear full strength again later. I am not sure whether what I have constitutes as being a whiplash or something and/or whether my T spike will settle down. I did not fell terribly hard from the swing, just on my head first. I went to the doctor (orthopedics) and he said (after taking X-ray) that there are no fractures and it does not look too serious. Also, I am not sure I have/had a concussion as I did not have blurred vision, nausea, etc. I went to the ENT who prescribed what I mentioned above.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone with a similar experience (i.e. falling on your face) could share his/her experience. I really hope this T spike goes away, because its thoroughly unpleasant and I can't imagine having to listen to it for the rest of my life... ;_;

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Most spikes are temporary spikes (few become permanent). Temporary spikes can last a surprisingly long time:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/head-movement-spikes-tinnitus.25179/#post-290614
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-do-your-tinnitus-spikes-usually-last.23110/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-was-your-longest-spike.22099/

When you get a spike, it is natural to panic and assume the worst. My advice is to wait three months or so. If the spike is still there, as loud as ever, at that point you might start worrying about this spike being permanent.

4. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      @Rinz, Maybe muscle spasms in your neck? I have a stiff neck and loud noise in my head, so I understand your misery. Could try physical therapy and/or muscle relaxers?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Thanks Bill! ;-) Yeah, you're right, I should have better said "I don't mind waiting, if I knew it was going to calm down"..

I am used to T, with spikes occasionally, spikes mostly from acoustic trauma (airplanes etc).. this was simply the first time my T spikes badly as a consequence of a fall.. so I am really not used to this and its (potential) recovery trajectory.. I really hope it gets quieter... Thanks again for your answer in any case.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You might try writing to the posters who made the posts below, asking them for an update on their condition:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-caused-by-tbi-severe-concussion.30152/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-from-concussion.30263/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/7-months-in-and-now-a-concussion.28282/

And perhaps @Greg Sacramento might be able to suggest something useful to you.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Bill Bauer ,
      Yes I did,I had a big egg head and had a deep cut on my head just above my ear that I had to go hospital for to have stitches in as was an open wound...
      love glynis

9. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Rinz The tests would had shown any spine damage, all soft tissue or nerve damage which is what matters. There may be some muscle soreness and since you already have tinnitus --- that can easily cause a spike. Muscle bruising could take awhile to show on a test. You probably don't have a concussion, but if you did - or just some neck muscle tenderness you should be back at baseline within weeks or a few months. Use cold compress and sleep with pillow support under neck.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am sorry that you hit your head close to your ear...

Did the T spike settle? Have you been experiencing any problems as a result of that concussion?

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Bill Bauer ,
      Yes it did in time,I went through a bout of dizziness and sickness but not a Meniere's flair up until the bruising and lump went and stitches out and had pain in my eye too...
      Good job im a trained first aider and new what to do and stay calm,lots of blood.
      love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hope that your story will reassure @Rinz that his T spike might eventually fade.

I am glad that you were able to recover from your injuries, Glynis!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Thanks a lot Glynis, Greg and Bill... I am somewhat relieved.. my neck and shoulders are still sore.. so I do understand I should just be patient and wait what happens.. I just can't believe that I fell of that stupid swing on my head.. but then again everything is relative.. I just read some (Dutch) news that a 17 year old boy died while being in Italy on holiday because he walked past the road and didn't see a 6 meter drop somehow.. then my spike suddenly doesn't seem like a major thing..

I did enjoy reading about an app somebody recommended on a post (myNoise) on this forum somewhere, I installed it and it seems to be good in drowning it a bit.. I hope it settles down and I am glad it did for Glynis... thank you for your comforting words.

• Hug Hug x 2
    14. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      • Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Thanks! Just1morething! I'll have a look at them ;-)

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      I just wanted to keep you informed.. in case you have any tips/comments/suggestions..

After about a month I fell down a swing and hit my head the following has happened.
      Although I am a 'T-veteran' (18 years) I still focus on it quite a bit and worry it will get worse or not.

(1) the neck stiffness has decreased about 80%, no headaches.
      (2) on average my T (high freq sound, right ear) is 30-50% louder as it was pre-accident
      (3) I have days in which the T is not that loud as it was after a couple of days post accident
      (4) I have days in which the T is as loud (or louder) as it was after a couple of days post accident
      (5) A "new" sound has appeared in my normal "non-T" ear (left) which is like an intermittent medium frequency sound. Also, some "old friends" (like 'mr. morse-code' and 'mr concrete mixer') are paying me new visits.

I am most of the time relaxed with it, but like last night I do sometimes wake up with a screaming right ear and I can hear it through the day. So, I have to get habituated to this new louder volume again. Occasionally, for example when I sit in my bath the T seems softer and I am almost crying because I get a couple of mins respite and silence..

So, I am still hopeful that this spike may settle down but a bit less confident as its a month now, but, any positive experiences on your side are of course welcome.

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you have had some fading during the past month, it ought to continue to fade. My longest spike had lasted over three months.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Hi Bill,

Yeah, its ups-and-downs at the moment.. normally it takes shorter for the spike to settle.. but I will try to be patient.. the fact that some of you experienced spike relief after months (or even years) is of course reassuring.. so hope it will also be the case for me..

Thanks for your reply.

Rinz

19. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Ritz I was thinking about you today. Give it some time. Send me a PM anytime. We can talk back and forth there too.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Thanks Greg! I tried to PM you, just to thank you.. but it said..
      "You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: Greg Sacramento"

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Just to let you know.. For a week or so.. my T spike (which had been caused by a blow to my head from a fall from a swing; see beginning of this thread) has been quieter.. I guess almost back to the old manageable level.. I think it took about 5-6 weeks for it to settle down a bit, probably because the neck muscles, nerves, etc. are now healed or went back to their old position or something.. I was reluctant to write this because I don't wanna jynx anything (and I'm still scared it will turn back up again).. but I'm just quite happy it did seem to settle down after 5-6 weeks. I simply thought it would be good to provide this information for those who are in a (new) spike now, that its possible for it to settle down with time.. I wish everyone strength and good luck ;-)

• Like Like x 1