Poll: How Long Do Your Tinnitus Spikes Usually Last?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Abe, Aug 3, 2017.

?

How Long Do Your Tinnitus Spikes Usually Last?

1. Hours

2. Days

3. Weeks

4. Months

5. I don't get tinnitus spikes

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      Well, it's 2 am here in Minnesota and I woke up to a tinnitus spike.

It isn't as bad as some of the ones I get but it's still pretty loud and bad enough to disturb me and prevent me from going back to sleep.

The cause as to what triggered it this time is just as big of a mystery as to what started my original tinnitus.

Wonder how long it will last this time...:arghh::cry:

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      No idea what starts them, although it is often BAD after a GOOD sleep ( figure that out...) They normally last 2-3 days max and then I get a few quiet days and then it kicks off again. I am so grateful for the quiet days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I don't get spikes (OR I can't tell whether it's a spike or not)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      well i've probably slept 30 mins since my post.. man.. this really sucks

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      There's really no way for me to tell which is the most common one. My spikes can be any of the alternatives. Sometimes they last hours, sometimes weeks. Maybe, just slightly more common is a spike that will last for hours.

6. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      I do have spikes lasting from a few hours to a day or two. At times my T spikes for no apparent reason while at others I can pinpoint stress as the factor.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      My T is really starting to take my life over.. It bothers me so much and keeps me form doing the things I liked to do. Its made my depression way worse and well sometimes thoughts come into my head of suicide...

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      Dear @Abe

I am sorry to hear about your spikes driving you in to thoughts of suicide.
      How ever, I am very familiar with what you are experiencing regarding that T is taking over your life and makes your depression worse. I have recently also been overwhelmed by T again, and my depression and anxiety levels has once again reached maximum levels, driving my thoughts in the direction of suicide. I just want you to know, that you are not alone out there, and that all though things seem hard now, I will tell you this; Through my 20 years of Tinnitus, hearing loss and hyperacusis, I have had shorter and longer periods where T has gotten worse without me knowing why or how. I really do believe that one of the keys when T is bothering you, is to try your very best to occupy your brain with something else. This could be what ever you prefer as long as it takes your thoughts off T.
      Habituation is different for all of us, but it is a long way to go, for sure.

I wish you all the best, and please reach out to someone when times are hard and unbearable.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Abe , I usually get spike when I get exposed to loud noise of any kind . Spike usually goes away any where from 1-7 days .
      For me main culprit is loud noise at movies , bar , Clark honk ..door slams etc . It really sets in crazy panic for me !!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Last month I think I had a spike? It lasted for weeks, ear ache and ear sensitivity, which made my T seem louder. Is ear pain or ear ache usually associated with a spike?

11. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      What caused the spike, do you know? I can get increased sensitivity to sounds but not pain.

12. Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @TuneOut

I'm not really sure what caused my last spike? I can't think of anything specific! I do remember pan frying a piece of chicken breast and heard a pop, 5 seconds later, I had ear pain. And that pain last for weeks, and ear sensitivity to pretty much all noises; squeaky breaks, my dog walking on my laminate floor, dishes hitting each other, even people's voices, etc

I went to the hair salon yesterday, and didn't think it was that loud but there was a lot of different noises happening all at once. I wore my earplugs while my hair dresser was blow drying my hair. By the time I walked back to my truck, ear pain and ear sensitivity came back. Today has been a struggle. I'm leaving for a mini holiday on Sunday for a week, and I'm nervous now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    14. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      when mine spikes I talk to it telling I'm tired you don't bother me take deep breaths count out 10 breaths usually I fall back to sleep in 5. I also take Tylenol Pm helps go back to sleep which is what we all need.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      what is your definition of a spike? I mean like i get fleeting T once in a while. There was one night where my fleeting T did not go away right away and blaired in my left ear throughout the night but was gone when i awoke the next day. I was really tired that day and wasnt getting much sleep due to work. Other than that the only time my T seems to increase is when there is no noise and at the end of the day when i am really tired. I wouldnt call that a spike either though. I chose i dont get spikes because of this reasoning.

16. GeorgiaRose1812

GeorgiaRose1812 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 7th 201&
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Came on with tonsillitis, unknown
      Have you had any answers to this?? I’m only 2 months in to start with and it was set off by an illness, there was the ringing but no real pain, except in the last couple of weeks my noise sensitivity has got way worse - was set off tonight by a bloody washing machine, now have moderate/serve pain and dullness in right ear... just thought I’d ask as many of the noises you mention also set me off.

17. SCORPION

SCORPION Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usmc shooting weapons
      Abe hey brother just chill man please don't let this beat you . Never hurt yourself!! Yes it sucks big time to go through this every day but you can control this with mind over matter. I have been dealing with this for 23yrs and let me tell ya buddy mine ring all day and 10/10 . And it took me a long time to learn how to 1st accept it. Keep busy bro if it starts to drive ya nuts go outside get some air . I feel for you man we all going through this with you ... CURLY

• Like Like x 2
    18. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I'm in my second major spike, it's been about 1 month, that's the bad news, the good news is I am determined to not let it get me down. It's whistling like a tea kettle as I type this and I'm not upset about it. Sure I would rather it not be there but I'm still able to watch TV, browse the web, have lunch. There's really no other option for me. The only thing that "gets" me is when it finally, either goes quiet or I'm able to completely ignore it, I can't figure out how I get to that point. My last spike lasted about 4 months then I had relative peace for maybe 4 months. Better days are coming.

• Hug Hug x 2
    19. Rainbowsheep
      Cheerful

Rainbowsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, I suppose
      I had a spike in August. Don't really know what caused it, but my guess would be that I had been clenching my teeth a lot due to stress and anxiety completely unrelated to my tinnitus, though. It seems to be subsiding now, however I don't know if it will ever return to baseline again, but well. I'm happy that it is mostly at a manageable level now, and who knows. Maybe it will eventually return to baseline, but one thing is for sure. I am never, ever going to concerts or clubs without wearing earplugs again!

20. Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @GeorgiaRose1812

I’m 9 months in now, my t started in February 2017. The first 2 months of dealing with t was awful. I had ear fullness, ear pain and sensitivity to high pitch sounds. Also, I had neck pain.

I consider these spikes for me, my t gets louder and plus sometimes I get multiple or new tones. They usually last over a week, the longest was over a month. Sometimes I don’t even know what sets off the spike, that’s annoying! But for the most part, I know what will cause my spikes.

It does get better, or more like .. you will get use to it. I don’t panic anymore, it just sucks. It has impacted my social life. I think that’s the hardest part. A lot of people don’t understand t symptoms.

Hope this kinda helps :)

• Hug Hug x 2
    21. GeorgiaRose1812

GeorgiaRose1812 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 7th 201&
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      People really don’t get it haha, I have a friend in a band and he was trying to persuade me to come to a gig (they always play ridiculously loud) and said he’d give me earplugs and I was trying to explain that even the television makes my head hurt and he just didn’t get it :p

Yeah it’s impacting my social life, at the moment I’m even having trouble having dinner with my housemates or watching tv.... and I got an invitation to go out clubbing at Christmas with my home friends (I’m at uni) and I’m not gonna go (why risk it after this??) and it’s made me sad.....

I’m not even sure what to do about my 21st birthday party atm, should I just sit in a different room and talk to people one at a time that was helpful though thank you <3 what caused your T if you don’t mind me asking?

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @GeorgiaRose1812

I totally understand how you feel! I’m so sorry you are going thru this. I discussed my t symptoms with my family, friends and coworkers. It’s a bit embarrassing but I needed them to know what I was going thru. Some understand and some don’t. Relationships have definitely changed.

I would personally avoid clubbing at the moment, you are still in the early stages of t, give your ears some time to heal. Most people on tt forum will advise to totally avoid clubs. At the end of the day, it’s your call.

As for your birthday, what about making reservations a restaurant with your close friends, try to avoid the busy hours ... More people, more noise.

I’m not 100% sure what caused my t. I’ve had a very mild t in my right ear since I was a child, probably due to an ear infection but for 30 years it never bothered me. I think a visit to my dentist back in February did something, now I have t in both ears. Also during that time, I was dealing with anxiety, which could have triggered something as well. Or clubbing in my 20’s catched up to me! I will never really know, and that took some time for me to accept.

23. GeorgiaRose1812

GeorgiaRose1812 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 7th 201&
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jenni8619

Oh I’m definitelt not going clubbing, just makes me sad that I can’t because it was always so much fun. Not sure I’ll ever go again to be honest, I don’t mind not going while I’m at uni but we always have great nights out at home. Ah well, some sacrifices have to be made.

I think I am having a meal with close friends anyway, it’s just that I’ve already organised this party with a lot of people I haven’t seen in ages so I’m reluctant to cancel.... I’ve got no problem explaining on the event that I’m not gonna have music playing and why, but it’s still a lot of people :/ I’ll have to have a think.

Hm, lots of people say dentists triggered it, maybe dentists should change their ways! I have been dealing with I think what anyone would call extreme stress this year as well as anxiety so maybe that’s to do with it as well, plus I’m still blocked up from that bloody cold.... anyway I’m rambling.

I’m glad you seem to have come to terms with it at least to an extent. I hope you’re doing okay! Fingers crossed a scientist stumbles across a magic cure ;) x

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD ADVICE !!
      When my T is getting worse & hear hissing sound whole day & without quality sleep,
      I am depressed. This advice will help all of us.

25. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Only we (T patients) know how difficult life is ! Cheer up and hanging there !!
      This is not a life threatening illness but it deteriorate our life qualities.
      Hoping more research fund spent to find a positive cure on T.

26. Jason E

Jason E Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to right ear
      Currently two weeks in to a major spike, I have no idea how to deal with this shit. I hate the fact it takes so much joy away from life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Ctw
      Tired

Ctw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I feel like mine is always spiked!!

28. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It depends ,

Hours, days or in rare cases weeks .

But although I had countless spikes in the past it is important to remember they always returned to base level , in my experience the worrying about it is often worse than the actual spike , if it's even a spike and not just the normal fluctuation in perceived tinnitus intensity .

29. JacquelineG
      Thinking

JacquelineG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I think staying busy is key, but even that can be hard sometimes without some background noise. When I want some reprieve, I go outside. Normally I can barely hear it with outdoor ambient sound unless it's a really bad day. Wonder if I can just live outside in my back yard!

30. Yoshi
      Wishful

Yoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones, Bus Braking, Burping (air enters ear canal)
      I rarely get spikes, but when I do it seems they're always permanent increases.