Osteopathy and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by ruben ruiz, May 6, 2015.

1. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Osteopathy and Tinnitus

Full text: pdf.png PlambergerMartina.pdf

Abstract

This osteopathic study on patients with the tinnitus symptom discusses whether general osteopathic treatment according to the principles of Still (osteopathic group), in comparison to the progressive muscle relaxation of Jacobson (control group), can immediately influence tinnitus in its intensity, pitch, discomfort and character, and how the long-term effect after 6 weeks is to be evaluated.

Tinnitus has emerged as a warning sign of an extreme situation. It has been established that nearly all tinnitus patients (90%) examined in this study have an extensive tension in dura mater or inner fascia along the central axis which is shown in a membranous imbalance in the tentorium cerebelli and in rotation lesions of temporal bone. It is interesting that a release of the vessel system through a release in dural, fascial and visceral structures can influence or even eliminate the tinnitus symptom.

This study shows that osteopathy can influence tinnitus in its intensity and subjective discomfort mainly in the acute stage, while the pitch and character of tinnitus are barely changeable. Osteopathy can certainly be regarded as a gentle method of relieving an extreme situation so that the patient recognises his or her own limits and can return to health.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Read the full text its amazing.

3. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi Ruben. I did not read the full text, but I did take some time to look over it.

As I see it, what we have here is a 113 page master's thesis written some nine years ago yet never published in a juried scientific journal. The author herself points out that the study was not randomized and that the controls were inadequate. The study seeks to assess the "long term effects" of a treatment program, yet it only looks out as far as six weeks.

Based on that initial impression, I myself am having trouble justifying taking the time to read the paper in full. Others may feel differently, and I do thank you for bringing it to our attention.

• Like Like x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd like to see the experiment repeated, using a healthy control group, as well as a control group of people with significant untreated anxiety who do not have tinnitus.

My suspicion is that any gains in the tinnitus group would be largely mirrored in the anxiety-without-tinnitus group...

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Sergio V.
      No Mood

Sergio V. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 9 2015
      Hello
      Just started reading this, might be of interest,

http://www.osteopathicresearch.com/paper_pdf/PlambergerMartina.pdf

It's quite long and detailed but may cast some light.

Abstract
      This osteopathic study on patients with the tinnitus symptom discusses whether general osteopathic treatment according to the principles of Still (osteopathic group), in comparison to the progressive muscle relaxation of Jacobson (control group), can immediately influence tinnitus in its intensity, pitch, discomfort and character, and how the long-term effect after 6 weeks is to be evaluated. Tinnitus has emerged as a warning sign of an extreme situation. It has been established that nearly all tinnitus patients (90%) examined in this study have an extensive tension in dura mater or inner fascia along the central axis which is shown in a membranous imbalance in the tentorium cerebelli and in rotation lesions of temporal bone. It is interesting that a release of the vessel system through a release in dural, fascial and visceral structures can influence or even eliminate the tinnitus symptom.

" When, for a variety of reasons (mostly negative emotions, stress etc.), these structures gradually become fibrotic and stiff, as described in Schleip’s study (2006) (see chapter 5.3), not only the locomotor system becomes tired and inflexible, also the vessels and nerves become constricted. We can assume that in an extreme case the hearing system expresses this unbearable inner pressure as tinnitus. "

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      This is the very same document that was posted in the first post...

7. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I have made a discovery today ..

I visited my brother a while ago ... after jumping on the trampoline in the garden my tinnitus was very low that day ... i thought it was interesting but a coincidence ...

today i visited him again and jumped on the trampoline again... now again T is very low ...

something with vertibrates or neck or head ..

I don`t know ...
      I will make seperate thread about it

• Like Like x 4
    8. My T started with my neck...or from my neck.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sergio, that looks good for osteopaths yet the challenge is to find a skilled osteopath that can do such therapy.
      Its not easy. I believe there are some that specialize with such manipulation. Finding one is the challenge.
      If you find one let us know. I even contacted the Osteopaths National web site. There you can find such Drs.

10. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      lynn I had a tca peel and then devloped neck pain and tinnitus. neck pain came after the peel tinnitus came after neck pain,,, not sure what really caused mine. I still have neck issues till this day... as a matter of fact I have been in a tmj 24/7 splint for 3 months and tomm. I go to a nucca. I also had mri on neck and have ddd and bulging disc but they said no pinched nerves... so im not really sure... oxticity from peel and nerve blocks, or neck problems, or tmj? no issues before the peel though. :eek:

11. How odd Jeannie. I believe I've seen you in another group on fb? and your splint hasn't helped the T yet? Am I correct?

I can't imagine a peel causing neck or T? that is so odd. I know tmj plays a part but I truly think that now it is possible nerve damage or at least neurogenic..I have soooo many neurological symptoms at this point..I often wonder if I have ON? or disc issues..something that occurred after my bike accident. ..

12. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hi lynn... no it hasn't helped yet, neck issues are more now... im wondering if I have ON too... I have been told fibro, but at the base of my skull it gets tender and sore all over... yes im just not sure of anything anymore...And radiates I know I have disc issues but so weird I was fine until the peel... im thinking maybe the nerve blocks doctor gave me in my face and inside of my jaw to numb me.. but not sure anymore... have you been checked for ON lynn?

13. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      What is ON ?.. Can spine related injuires paly a part in t getting worse? I fell at work 2 years ago and suffered permanent damage to my lumbar i get pains but not to bad just a lot of discomfort and also i have tingleing that runs down my leg sometimes throught the day can that have a impact on my nerves for sound exposure? It was never a problem before i mean regarding t..

14. Sergio V.
      No Mood

Sergio V. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 9 2015
      #1 Hello, I posted this on the pulsatile forum and for some reason (moderator?) it was moved here, so sorry i didn´t see the initial post. Anyway, besides the debatable validity of the thesis about treatment, for me was informative in classifying and explaining Tinnitus types and possible causes, (at least from a layman´s perspective).

#2 I can asure that something strange is going on with my neck and back of the head. i feel pressure, i even touch there often to see whats going on. sometimes with my footsteps i feel some of this sensation being transmitted - resonating through my skull. I suspect that some little muscular mess there is causing my PT.
      Is not pain, (may be little pinches sometimes).

Anybody with like symptoms?

15. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Geo,Opptical neuralgia,is compressed nerves in back of head / scalp area.like where the hairline starts. I do think most people get headaches /eye aches but I don't get that to often YET!! I don't think you have to have that though to have O.N. I have a lot of tender spots and sensitivity in neck and back of head, docs have said fibro though, but you may want to read up on it... I would imagine your lumbar area wouldn't play any part in tinnitus getting worse, but the upper /cervical could...

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      My tinnitus started as a result of a bad concussion. I don't know why but I am very much skeptical about the fact that I may have damaged my ears during that concussion. I might be wrong in thinking so. I believe that my tinnitus has to do something with my upper cervical area.

17. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I can relate somewhat. My T started after a bad concussion. For many many months I couldn't walk because I could feel the impacts of footsteps being transferred to my head through my neck. It was a very weird and odd sensation and I couldn't travel in vehicles because the bumps on road would give my brain jolts ! First I thought my brain is just sensitive but I began to realize that it might me my neck and upper cervical vertebra.

Later on a chiro did some upper neck adjustments to reposition my C1 C2 . it did nothing for my T but my sensitivity to bumps decreased .

18. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I am looking into cervical caused T myself. I have a annoying static hissing currently. Seen a surgeon today and asked him about it and he said it was doubtful but possible my neck is causing my noise. My lower back is a go for MIS (Minimally invasive surgery), but need insurance approval first. I need to see a different Dr. regarding my neck issues.

I guess seeing a osteopath is worth a shot if I can find one locally.

19. No you could have. My Neurologist confirmed this. Have you had a Ct of your ears?

20. Well regardless of what he says I can tell you with absolute certainty my hissing started from my neck. Nerves and muscles. I now get TrP injections.

My pain doc is also an anesthesiologist and pain management doc who specializes in trigger point therapy as well.

21. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Lynn for your response!:) I may have to look into Trigger point injections and TpT. I had some cervical nerve blocks and facet injections that didn't do much for my noise. Also had some neuroablations done in my neck.

So has your hissing gone away or is diminished somewhat then? And is your pain manageable now?

22. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well it seems I just recently seen a osteopath if DO means the same thing? She is within Mayo Clinic so that works out good for me (in network) I will ask her in early July at my next appt. about Trigger point injections and Trigger point therapy.

I had physical therapy today and my hissing is as loud as ever. Something has to come to a end, the obnoxious noise or my life (jk?) Only God knows if it's my neck or inner ear caused? The ENT's will say it's inner ear caused noise, but they seem of little or no help.

I wonder if Silverstein's wick would help w/dexamethasone on it if inner ear caused? Variation of hydrops?

The other side of the grass is starting to look pretty good about now.:) (stole that line from someone here)

23. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    24. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tight muscles can cause it from what I have read.. mine are very tight too...

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I thought I would post this again:

I found it here:http://www.noisehelp.com/hissing-in-my-ear.html

June 29, 2014
      Neck and Shoulder Muscles NEW
      by: Patricia

I am the person who wrote about tight neck and shoulder muscles causing tinnitus.

Note that "tinnitus" simply means "ringing". It does not necessarily refer to an ear issue. For me, tight neck and shoulder muscles were causing the ringing, and exercise made it vanish.

Exercises that worked for me:

1) Set palm against the side of head and push head against it gently to create resistance. Feel the muscle on the side of throat tense, thus it is being exercised. Do this on the other side of head as well.

2) Set both palms against forehead and push head against them gently to create resistance. This also exercises neck muscles in the throat area.

3) Set both palms against the back of head and push head gently against them to create resistance. This exercises the muscles in the back of neck.

4) For shoulder muscle exercises, use a dumbbell that is comfortable to lift but also provides some resistance and lift it as if lifting a bucket. Do this as many times as is comfortable.

5) Tilt head back as far as it will go and then open mouth as wide as possible, hold for several seconds, then close mouth into a pucker. This works the muscles beneath the ears as well as the throat.

Repeat these exercises as many times and as often as able to do comfortably. It will take a while, but eventually the ringing should ease as the muscles stretch. Don't give up too early as it does take a while. Note how the muscles in the throat area are directly beneath the ear. Any tightness in these muscles can cause tinnitus. The shoulder exercises are necessary in conjunction with the neck exercises because the shoulder and neck muscles are part of the same chain of muscles and work together.

Good luck. I hope everyone who reads this is helped by these exercises as much as I was.

• Like Like x 1
    26. fran dana
      No Mood

fran dana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      origin unknow.2016 get worse because of work in armament lab
      Has anyone tried osteopathy? I think that partly my problem is due to contractures in the neck.

When I open my jaw or move my neck the frequency of my beep increases or decreases depending on the movement.

Maybe it does not really work but I think it would be good to try.

I know that osteopathy and acupuncture are very used treatments these days.

27. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I tried it with three different practitioners without success.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I have a question:
      If you are sure, that the cause of your tinnitus is an acoustic trauma, why do you try a somatic therapy like osteopathy?

29. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Tinniger : I just wanted to try, tinnitus is so complex, nobody knows.

• Like Like x 1