Fifteen years with tinnitus yet seems to have no effect ... How?

Discussion in 'Support' started by carol kane, May 5, 2014.

1. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Yep that's a beta blocker!

So the question about 'anxiety' help is still relevant perhaps?! Could really be useful to handle that 'outside world' adaption.

Best, Zimichael

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Carol,

I had a problem with blood pressure drugs making my tinnitus worse. The first drug I took was lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor. Then, I took propranolol, and after that, Toprol XL (both of these were beta blockers). I don't take any blood pressure drugs now, but I still have tinnitus. However, it has calmed down some since I got off the medication.

Did your tinnitus start, or get worse, after taking a blood pressure drug?

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Hi Karen
      No i have never had a blood pressure med before, i was taking Citalopram for about 6 years ( low dose ) and last year i decided to start taking an Aspirin every day ( low dose ) as i'm a smoker and was told this would keep away strokes heart attacks etc, i didn't know Aspirin was ototoxic and i think i weakened my ears with this combination.
      Last november my husband was drilling in our bathroom and the drill bit was blunt and the high shrill that came from it was really awful, anyway i didn't think too much about it and just put up with the noise until he had finished ... the next day i awoke to a very high pitch screaming in both ears and it's been like it ever since. I haven't had an increase in my tinnitus so far from taking the meds, and just lately it seems to have gone down a level. Regards Carol.