Finally Found the Cause of My Fluctuating/Pulsatile Tinnitus → It's Somatosensory

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Buckyball, Apr 13, 2023.

1. Buckyball

Buckyball Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blow to the ear
      Hello,

I have hesitated to post in success stories because it feels like it to me on this day (I'm very relieved), this is my first post ever on Tinnitus Talk so I figured out I'd rather post it here.

I have had tinnitus since I got slapped on my left ear 7 months ago, hearing loss of about 30% (subjective) and ear full of fluid. I got my hearing back progressively but realized later I hear a fluctuating, rhythmic, but somewhat erratic high pitch sound (it has a heartbeat like pattern but not in sync with my pulse, I don't think it's a pulsatile tinnitus). It's hard to explain, I couldn't find a frequency to match it (closest comparison I can give is: any frequency above 10 kHz on volume down to "merely audible").

The fluctuating nature makes it impossible for me to hide it and causes me a lot of anxiety, it's hard to focus with an always fluctuating high pitch that I cannot mask. I have regular tinnitus too, I couldn't care less about the constant tone. I always had more or less a very faint high pitch sound in my ears, it doesn't prevent me from focusing (very important for me).

I always thought that it was related to my damaged ear but I realized today watching a video on somatic tinnitus that protruding my lower jaw forward makes my fluctuating part instantly disappear! I was shocked!

Holy s***! So... there's light at the end of the tunnel? It's not related to my ear being damaged?! I can maybe fix it with re-education? It gives me so, sooo much hope that I could finally fix this damn fluctuating tinnitus!

It's like on and off switch when I'm doing the movement with my jaw. I have been doing it for an hour like a complete retard (jaw is a bit sore haha), just to make it sure the "pulsatile" tinnitus is really somatic. And yes it really seems like it is.

On a side note, the "jaw protruding forward" movement creates a high pitch tinnitus in my right ear though. I would trade it any day for that damn "pulsatile" tinnitus in my left ear.

I stay hours on computer everyday and my posture doesn't help (forward and rarely painful neck, I tried to fix it in the past but habits are hard to break). I also have a history of chewing table paper and still do it, it's a weird habit for sure but I simply like the texture of paper.

Love to all tinnitus sufferers out there, I know what it feels like. I've been quite depressed because of it. I've seen 2 ENTs and of course they didn't rule out there was a somatic part.

Tinnitus Talk has been a very good source of information for me. So thank you.

• Winner Winner x 1
    2. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Try stopping the chewing for a week and see if that makes any difference.

3. duesseldorf

duesseldorf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am happy for you! If it is not gone by then, you might benefit from Dr. Shore's device treatment, as it is said to help tinnitus that can be modulated!