Finding My Own Way Through Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JOLO, Sep 3, 2022.

1. JOLO

JOLO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      My tinnitus started 15 years ago at a way too loud dinner concert when my ears felt like they exploded. After appointments with ENT and audiologist, I used a white noise sound masker, earplugs, and avoided loud sound environments which seemed to keep the ringing to tolerable levels. Unfortunately, the ringing never went away. I am now retired from work due to my age, not tinnitus.

A few weeks ago, I forgot my earplugs and tried to tolerate a loud restaurant, which caused serious pain in both ears in just a few minutes. I had to leave before the food was delivered. Since then, I have seen another audiologist and ENT. The hearing test indicated ski slope hearing loss, meaning I cannot hear high frequency or soft voices, and cannot tolerate noise much louder than normal conversation, which makes hearing more difficult in noisy backgrounds. In quiet environments, I can hear well enough. The ENT screened out any other contributing conditions. Both of them told me this is something I will have to live with. ENT did make a referral for hearing aid assessment. I can afford $$$$ for the top-of-the-line hearing aids, but I was not convinced it would be effective. So...

I have spent the last 3 weeks binge reading and watching videos, performing on-line testing, trying to find my tinnitus frequency, researching various treatments, reading Tinnitus Talk forum, etc etc.

I decided that I am going to find my own way through this. Hence, the name of this thread, and my recommendation to others. Do your own research, make your own choices. I have concluded, at least for now, there is no single treatment that I want to spend big $$$$ for.

Now for the good news. I googled acoustic modulation on YouTube and found:

Acoustic Neuromodulation - Musical

These sounds have made a tremendous difference in just a few weeks. With the volume set at a low level to just be able to hear, I find I can listen to them for 6 to 8 hours per day. I recorded several of these kinds of sounds and play them on a continuous loop when I sleep for another 6 hours. I could never find a specific tinnitus frequency, but these neuromodulation sounds just seem to resonate with my ears. I do not know any other way to describe that phenomenon. At times, my tinnitus ringing is 90% gone, but it comes back, and I still have to use earplugs and avoid loud noises. The reduction is not consistent, but so far, it seems I can reduce the ringing with various sound therapy tones such as pink noise, notched sound and others. I still have to use earplugs and avoid loud noises.

I ordered Bose QuietComfort earbuds for noise cancellation in restaurants, but I will probably have to avoid anything louder than that. I plan to study sound editors, and custom tune hearing aids if I need them in the future.

I have decided to avoid treatment with drugs, surgery, CBT, expensive hearing aids, etc, at least for now.

Remember, this is my plan, yours will probably be different.

I appreciate the people who maintain this forum and all the people who contribute to it. The information here was instrumental in helping me to decide what to do, and what to avoid. Far more helpful than audiologist and ENT.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    2. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      Thanks for a very useful post.

I could not agree more that there is no treatment available worth spending money on - except maybe a quality hearing aid if your hearing is so poor it is a necessity.

I also found a neuromodulation video on YouTube - much more fierce sound than yours - piercing in fact - you probably would not be able to tolerate it. But it smooths down my tinnitus - taking away the sharp zing and leaving me with a gentle hiss - as you say it is no permanent fix - I find it brings me some relief for maybe 6 hours or so. But I only need to listen for 10 minutes. I use it sparingly - only when I feel a strong need - and I listen at a level just below my own tinnitus.

This alone tells me that feeding sounds into the brain is the way forward with tinnitus. I know people have tried supplements etc. and had some success and that is fine - but in addition I think it is worth experimenting with sound files like the one you found. The Lenire also feeds sound in - and combines it with electro stimulation (which is probably useless). And I think Dr. Shore's device does the same. But no need to spend money on these - there are free options available as you have found.

I will experiment with your video to see if it has an impact on my tinnitus.