Fine or Prison?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by meeruf, Nov 3, 2013.

1. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Okey. So it was this 90 year old Norwegian determined guy that got busted in not having a lifewest in his boat when he was out fishing. In Norway it is not required to have the lifewest on when you are at the sea. You only need to have it in the boat. (Yeah, stupid law. Its like saying you don't need seatbelt before the moment you crash).

Anyways. The old guy got busted, and he got a fine on 500kr (around 100$). This old guy speaks an old Norwegian dialect that "we others" finds very funny, not many people here talk that dialect anymore. Its very heavy words and ALOT of swearing. Now there is a video of him talking sense to the police-chief. This video have gone viral in Norway.

It goes something like this: "I will tell you; I have been to the fucking sea since I could piss for myself. For fuck sake, I was ten years old when I started to fish for my family. You don't even need to have the lifewest on, you just need to have it in the fuckin' boat. What help is that? Do you really bother people with meaningless shit like that? You guys are just talking bullshit. Then there comes a whippersnapper in a coast-gard boat telling me what to do? In his flashy orange drysuit. That coast-gard dude was so young that he can't even have hair on his balls. I have to laught, there is so much wierd stuff going on today."

The funny part is. The old guy is never going to pay that fine. So the alternative for him is one night in prison. I think the whole case will be dismissed. I hope there is no prosecution-guy out there that will send a 90 year old dude to prison for one night because of not having a lifewest in the boat. I know the law is the law. But come on! Get real... The police in Norway complains about little resources, but they have time for this stuff?? Sounds like they have a priority problem, not lack of resources.

The old guy also joked about that we have free hospital-choice in Norway. So, he hoped that there was free prison-choice too. Because then he would go to the prison with best dinner.

So, what would you do? Would you pay the fine, or take one night in prison? xD

• Funny Funny x 2
    2. Eric
      Balanced

Eric Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2012
      For 100$, I'd pay the fine. But at 90 they just should leave him alone. What's their worry, that he might die? He's 90, let him chose what risk he takes.

3. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      For one day i'd take the prison. My grandfather did the same thing in the old times to avoid to pay a traffic fine. Of course, he donned his WW2 uniform before going there. Funny to be locked up with an escapee medal. :p

4. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      meeruf -
      Your story made my day, because I can relate to the old man. If I was the 90 years man, I'd spend the night in prison. It's about principles.

In Chicago, a few months ago a 96 year old man was making a big fuss about something in a nursing home. The nursing home called the police. A young policeman showed up and the shot 96 year old man with a "bean bag" gun and killed the old man. He was a WWII veteran.

Some people in positions of authority overstep their bounds. It's the "Little man with the big gun" complex.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Meeruf, I Definitely I'd be like the old man and take jail. I doubt he will have to go though. Please keep us updated if you can.

6. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Karl, I somehow missed that story. Do you know if the cop had any disciplinary action against him, does the elderly gentleman's family have a law suit filed...

7. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Gary -
      It's under investigation now. They determined from the old man's bruises that the policeman shot the old guy 4 times. It was completely uncalled for.

• Informative Informative x 1