Finger Drumming Technique / Reddit Cure

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Teri, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Patrick Keough

Patrick Keough Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vertgo
      I was looking at some videos about Tinnitus treatment and thought this one was interesting, easy and heck...worth a try.

How to Stop Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)

2. Elliott.S
      Doubtful

Elliott.S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music practice - Attending loud concerts
      Doesn't work for me. I have so many frequencies going on at the same time that it might bring some relief for a few seconds on 1 or 2 frequencies, but that's about it.

3. Michelle Parker

Michelle Parker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure exactly
      I have used this self treatment with great success. No it does not cure tinnitus, it definitely helps control the loud buszzing sound. For me it was wonderful , I can reuse the technique when the sound gets annoying and then it subsides again.

4. John G

John G Member

Heard about this technique before. Didn't help me. Thanks for sharing though.

5. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Seen it. Tried it, not only once. Didn't change anything at all, but maybe that's just me.

6. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      @Elinor I notice the same thing. I have tried it several times and tried in different locations along the back of my head but with no luck. It has led to temporary relief for others so its worth trying.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      You all know the Reddit tinnitus cure, the finger tapping technique, some get relief from it for some seconds and some get for hours.

I tried one more thing. Rather than covering your ear, just only tap the fingers behind your head, it actually makes the tinnitus go away but as soon as you release the finger tapping, tinnitus comes back. I guess we need a machine that keeps on tapping those nerves;)

8. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
    9. Marjen
      Angelic

Marjen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Played guitar in a rock band
      Hello all,

I was in several loud bands as a young man which has contributed to my present tinnitus issue which has presented itself more bothersome this year. I just turned 65 today and decided that I wanted to get working on a treatment/cure if available.

I stumbled on a youtube video talking about this Redditt Therapy where you cup you hands to your ears and simultaneously thump your fingers against your head. They said to repeat this appx 50 times, I did it for 30 and did see a real improvement in my tinnitus. It's a brief relief, but a relief nonetheless.

Any other folks out here with a similar experience?

Thanks,
      Marty

10. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      I did it but did not experience any relief from it....

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Deanmcg

Deanmcg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      This does work. It just doesn't last for that long :(

12. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      This post is aimed at those of you, whom get relief by the "Reddit method", which involves plugging ears and flicking the back of the head (unfortunately that does nothing for my tinnitus).
      I came up with an interesting idea, when I came across one of those vibrating head bands for headaches.

In theory, if you put the business end of it against the back of your head, it should provide you with relief much like the finger flicking method...except of course you don't need to flick your fingers.
      Just wanted to share this idea in case it can help some of you guys out there suffering with this 24/7 life destroying torture.

13. Billylongpockets

Billylongpockets Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      l tried it and the ringing goes away for 30 odd seconds... When it comes back l feel like l have just kicked a hornets nest.. It comes back so painful that I have promised myself to stay well away from doing this... My tinnitus is just constant. Ears pop with ear ache.. Suppose that things could be a lot worse like having toothache on a Saturday night... lol

• Like Like x 1
    14. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Just out of curiosity.

I'm not sure what kind of tinnitus the people who claim that their tinnitus briefly goes away by doing this technique have?

Of course I tried it and the only way I can see this one working is, if someone hits the back of my head with a sledge hammer, as my tinnitus is completely unphased by my finger/skull snapping efforts.

Is there anyone on here that actually finds this method helpful and if so, do you know what caused your tinnitus in the first place?

https://lifehacker.com/this-weird-trick-might-give-you-brief-relief-from-your-1794093023

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Hedgehog
      Bookworm

Hedgehog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      The finger drumming technique works well for me, for about 30 seconds at least.

This similar technique by Carlover also works for me:

"you want to try a different version... re the little flap near the opening of the ear canal fold over and close the earcanal using forfinger then using middle finger tap on the nail of forfinger a few hundred times,,what happens too me is after my ears feel really open and no pressure and the tinnitus is probably 80% better and it lasts for around a minute then starts to all come back... very strange stuff"

This technique does not seem to get much attention here, but for me, this is the only thing that can reliably make things better. Nothing else really works, so it's kind of a big deal for me to have something that helps in any way.

Can someone point me towards what is known about how the technique works and what it says about my ears that it works for me? Thanks all.

• Like Like x 1