Fire Alarm Just Went Off. Now What?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, Jul 20, 2017.

1. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, you can see my old post about a noise event that got me on prednisone. Well, today was the first day off prednisone and I had a fire alarm go off. I was stuck around it for five minutes. People wouldn't get out of building faster.

Well, I put 32db earplugs in that are reusable. Not sure if they still protect st that rate though.

But, either way, what now? Given my past situation?

I have ent appointment coincidentally set up for tomorrow. I wanted to get a more complete hearing test.

Well, now this happened. The last time I saw this doctor, he underdosedy prednisone. Only gave me a daily tapering amount that started at 30mg I think. This is different than the doctor who gave me the 40mg one I got 2 weeks ago.

What do I do? This is crazy that this is happening to me all in two weeks.

2. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      First of: any guess how loud the fire-alarm was?

Sometimes they are even around 85 dB, some can be 120.
      How far away where you, and how long where you unproteced?

I don't think it should be a problem with the plugs, do you have any new symptons?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I'm guessing 100 db maybe or louder. I don't know as I don't have decibel reader. I know they are quite loud though.

I was close to some when passing by them. My earplugs were probably out 10 to 15 seconds.

I can't tell if new symptoms. They usually appear the next day though I think. Hard to tell.

4. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Most people who have acoustic trauma feel at least something immediately after the trauma. The full barrage of symptoms dont usually manifest until a day or two (Sometimes more), but if you feel completely fine right now, I would maybe just try and treat your anxiety regarding worries of any damage. In my experience, if you are TRYING to find a change in your T, you will induce enough panic/anxiety to feel a change. A real change in your T would be immediately noticeable and would probably CAUSE the panic, instead of the other way around. My .02.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

That is what caused the worry initially. It was the change. I thought I took NAC the night before and thought I was fine. It was when I heard stuff that I am now concerned and want to don everything I can to save my hearing.

6. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      My place tests the alarm every at Tuesday at 2pm for around 5 seconds. Catches me off guard every time but never does anything for t.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, I am going to doctor again tomorrow. What should I ask for? More prednisone for the hearing issue that happened two weeks ago? Nothing? I want to do the best I can with what I have. Doctors around here literally treat you like a number and don't care or know what to do. What do I ask him to do? I don't think he will do injections of steroids.

8. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Set a google reminder for Tuesdays at 1:59pm.

9. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Ha yes good idea!

• Winner Winner x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I'm asking for help and you all are making jokes in my thread instead. Can someone please help me? What should I ask the doctor to do today honestly to help my situation and possibly get my hearing back?

11. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I must have missed the jokes.

There is no cure for hearing loss, so I am unsure what more you would like from your ENT. You can ask for more predisone, but again predisone is not a cure for hearing loss. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. You tried it, it may have worked or may still be slowly working. You do not know because you have not had a follow up hearing test after treatment.

Ask your doctor for advice on treating your anxiety.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I asked doctor what they think. They will give MRI, they don't feel more prednisone will help, and they said give it time at this point is all one can do.

I don't know how I feel about this. I feel I wanted more prednisone, but I don't know if that would have helped.

13. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      a fire alarm went offf at work for me 4 weeks after onset for 3 minutes. 1-2 week spoke you should get over it

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It seems like a good idea to carry Peltor muffs with you everywhere you go (during the first year or two after the onset of T)...