Fluctuating Tinnitus Must Mean More...

Discussion in 'Support' started by click, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Exactly. They say the volume and type of noise is immaterial to whether you can ignore it or not. That's just nonsense.

Its because they only have the Jastreboff Neurophysiological Model to work to. And that says the volume is psychological, based on how you react to it and what attention you pay it. But there are people on here (you and me included) who check it all the time therefore paying it attention and detect differences in volume even though the amount of attention paid hasnt changed.

I was told today that I can hear new sounds because I've become aware of them, they were there all the time but Ive only just noticed. Isnt that ridiculous? I'm listening to it all the time for it getting worse, Im sure I wouldnt have missed some great big piece of hissing/searing screech.

I do think focussing on something does make it worse, you can do it with other things, but only marginally. it wouldnt go from barely audible to screeching like some peoples does.

I only wish they were right because there's nothing else to help. Thats all that's on offer, take it or leave it. Thats the only therapy available.

No, the app wasnt any help and I do feel worse. I've been told 'It will not go, no it wont, you have to learn to live with it and stop focussing on it'. Although she did say that then it will get quieter but and I quote 'It will never go'. She's the tinnitus therapist on the NHS so I guess she knows.

2. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yep, mine are open-fit. I dont trust the girl that set them up though. NHS treatment is so random in quality. As they say 'you dont get owt for nowt' :(

3. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      This is a good thread. I wonder if any of those on here still have problems?
      I too am trying so hard to figure out my T. My old T which I got in 2012 was predictable. Barely there if I stayed in sensible quiet places, like no shopping centres and it always went with sleep.
      This new T that came on after medical issues and stress has H too so I know sound is relevant. But now it has a cycle one day hissing all day getting louder all day, then next day started very very high long note and quiet. That high note gets more obvious as the day goes on. No new supplements, means in rotation, no caffeine, no alcohol, no nicotine I have no idea how it can run such a perfect cycle.

4. Jackson94

Jackson94 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
      I am only 21 years old and have had TMJ and eustachian tube dysfunction for 6 months. It all started when I bought a salvage title car that had a really bad cabin pressure issue - took me a while to catch onto the fact that the car was causing my blocked ears so I kept driving it for months. Then, I realized that. I felt perfectly fine until I bought that car, I guess it served as kind of a trigger. It's been 3 months since I got rid of the car and no improvement, if anything it's getting worse. My TMJ is being treated with an orthotic, she says things are moving back into place yet my ears are feeling worse. I am really hoping I didn't do some kind of permanent damage to my eustachian tubes by driving that pressurized car with blasted music (I know, terrible idea). Have any of you looked into eustachian balloon tuboplasty? I think it might be my only hope. I'm so young, and I can't imagine living 60-80 more years like this. Sometimes I feel like I'd rather not live at all. It's been 6 months of nonstop ear pressure, popping/cracking, headaches, dizziness, fatigue. I can't do anything, working out makes my jaw worse. Can't go anywhere with loud music which is all I used to do with my friends (bars). I just don't know what to do. Any words of advice?

5. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      Some of these threads, like this one, have been going on for years, now. As I suspected early on, there is no real solution, no cure, no "one size fits all" remedy. Doctors, therapists, counselors, and the like don't know squat. They cannot offer accurate diagnosis on an affliction for which they have few diagnostic methods or accepted treatment parameters. Support and understanding, combined with research and cognitive awareness, appear to be the only practical approach to one's own situation in relation to Tinnitus.

My T is up, my T is down; the only thing that's changed is my tolerance, recognition, and ever evolving coping skills. It is more intense and distracting during periods of stress, which is also when diet and other external factors tend to influence its severity. Regardless, it's there. It's always there. This, most likely, will never change. The only plausible, practical solution lies within my own attitude and approach to my affliction. Acceptance, like with so many things in life, is the key.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I thought there were interesting comments in this thread, and well worth perusing for those who have fluctuating tinnitus.

7. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      My tinnitus fluctuates like crazy, but I haven't noticed any specific triggers. I've tried the usual, no caffeine, no sugar etc, even though my intake of both has always been reasonably low compared to most people. Either way, makes no difference at all. Nor does any other type of food.

The only thing I can blame fluctuations on is posture, although it's hard to figure out how and what. Some I've figured out by now, others are still a mystery. I tried massaging the SCM trigger points and that caused a tone to go loud whenever I touched it.

I do have to add that having so many fluctuations makes it very hard to get used to in my case, but I also know I'm not that long in yet, and I'm still treating the issues most likely responsible for my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @ASilverLight -- Just to mention, I began massaging and stimulating my ears, neck, head, reflexology points on my hands and feet, etc., and began doing a variety of energy polarity exercises in those same areas ever since I got tinnitus over two years ago. Every time I think there's no new way to "work something out", I discover there is. And I feel my methodical approach has somewhat improved things for me that I don't think would have happened on its own.

If you already know that massaging certain points affects your tinnitus, I'd be surprised if you weren't able to find others as well--including some that might help to actually improve things for you. But it may take a while (as in possibly a long time). Have you by any chance ever heard of "Auricular Medicine"? It sounds similar to what I'm already doing, but quite honestly, I don't know as much about it as I'd like. But I do plan to delve much more deeply into it soon.

Best...

9. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      @Lane

I have not, and to be honest, I have never really looked into medicine and healthcare besides the usual - I've never looked into homeopathic ways for example, until now. My brother's girlfriend is big into it though and I do plan on talking to her whenever I can actually see her in person again.

My manual/physical therapist also mentioned wanting to do trigger point massaging and possibly minor adjustments if needed, however I don't know when that will be possible due to the current restrictions on healthcare in my country, because of covid.

Plus, for now I'm mostly looking into treating my neck trauma injury as it's quite persistent.

10. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You may want to check out the below linked post I made. It describes a unique reflexology technique that I get great benefit from. I originally did it when I had a very severe "stiff neck", with it worsening each day going on two weeks. I did the technique about 5-10 minutes on each foot before going to bed at night, and the next morning my stiff neck was 90%+ better. These days I do it for about a minute each day on each foot for maintenance.

Neck Pain and Ringing Related?

BTW, I think it's great your brother's girlfriend is into homeopathy, and I assume other things. These modalities can be very powerful if you can find just the right one. Also, have I ever mentioned AtlasPROfilax to you? If not, check out THIS POST of people who got it and had their tinnitus improve. You may also want to check out "Nasal Specific" where people have also reported improvements in tinnitus. BTW, I've done both of these treatments myself (pre-tinnitus days).