Fluid Behind Eardrums Caused a Tinnitus Spike? Should I Continue Taking Amoxicillin?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Logan, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      So I’ve had tinnitus for 9 years most likely caused by an ear infection and the last few years it had improved a lot and was manageable.

About 10 days ago I noticed a spike out of nowhere. I waited a few days and went to the doctor in case of an ear infection. The doctor said there was fluid behind my eardrum but it wasn’t infected. He prescribed me Prednisone for 5 days and Amoxicillin for 10 days.

I finished the Prednisone and 7 days out of the 10 days of the Amoxicillin. But I started worrying that the medicine is making it worse so I haven’t taken the Amoxicillin today. I’m not sure if taking it is going to make my tinnitus worse, or not taking it making the tinnitus even worse. I’m not sure what to do and it’s really stressing me out.

My tinnitus has been higher pitch and louder but it’s been changing a lot. It improves a little bit, then gets worse again. My ear sensitivity also has gotten worse the last few days and I’m noticing more sounds and more noises are hurting my ears and causing headaches.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Will the spike settle down once the fluid is all gone? I still need to go back to the doctor to see if it’s improved. If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I’ve been really stressed and my anxiety has been really bad which I know doesn’t help.

Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. FlatDarkEarth

FlatDarkEarth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert (2017)
      It's just my opinion but you got this far with the antibiotic, I would try and finish it since it has 3 days left, and you could not get rid of the infection and actually strengthen it I imagine since it's gotten through the antibiotic treatment.

Try to keep calm, I think it's more likely the infection is aggravating the tinnitus more than the antiobiotic - I understand the concern though, completely.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Debbie2019

Debbie2019 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      So long ago I don’t even know
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it started from a very loud noise hurting my ears
      I would not continue the amoxicillin. I feel they overkill with the number of days they give antibiotics. Just about every medicine I have had to take and luckily I don’t need many, have caused my ears to spike. Then I go online and sure enough what I’ve been prescribed is a known ototoxic medicine. Even when you tell the doctors you have tinnitus, they just prescribe without thought to your tinnitus problems. I’m going through that now after shoulder surgery. My ears have been a mess and now the gel I’m using for pain (who would have thought a gel would be a problem) but I can’t take a lot of ibuprofen so chose the gel option but it is spiking my tinnitus. So now I have to get off of it and hopefully my tinnitus will settle down. It usually does settle down with time I have found but I understand the fear that it won’t. I go through it every time. If your ear is feeling better I would stop the medication early and I usually start using Oil of Oregano P73 which you can find on Amazon. It is an natural antibiotic and will replace the amoxicillin if you have a few days left to go. I’m late in response and you probably are already done but for future times just letting you know what I do because I can’t take any medicine for long periods of time, by long I’m only talking a week before they start affecting me.