Fluid in Ear Causes Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fleegle, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am convinced that some kind of fluid thing in my ear is causing tinnitus.

If I get enough of it out through my nose then the tinnitus goes away.

Maybe an infection (4 year infection) that just won't clear up or maybe ETD that causes infection?

I explained to the ENT's that I have a feeling of fullness and they reply that the reason is because I have hearing damage.

Has anyone stuck anything in their ear to relieve/reduce/remove their Tinnitus?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hearing loss is indeed often felt as "fullness". Have you had a hearing test done?

I don't think sticking something in your ear is a good idea. The only cases of T that I know where going through the ear canal helps is when some wax or debris gets close to the ear drum (possibly being in contact), and the removal of it makes T go away. If that were your case you'd want to go to a skilled doctor as there is a possibility of damaging the ear drum. Given your explanation above, I doubt this is your case.

3. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      I don't think sticking anything in ones own ear will do anything to help. Q tips push ear wax further into the ear canal, your finger has bacteria on it, things like bobby pins could perforate an ear drum/push wax further.. etc.
      fullness doesn't necessarily = hearing loss but it could be. if you have fullness and tinnitus it is likely you have some sort of hearing loss. have you had a hearing test?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have seen some "material" on the internut that says put Vicks rub on a clove of garlic and wedge it in your ear. This should kill off any bacteria that is causing T.
      Of course I don't believe in such a thing - which is why I went and bought some Vicks.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yup but here's the thing. I seem to always get the tests when I can't hear too well in that ear. I wish I could get a test when my ear is fine. And it often is fine - but I can never predict it.
      There's a lot of pressure and pain and fullness - and of course, the tinnitus. Sometimes it goes and it all clears up. I don't know how to convince doctors that they should be looking for something else. Infection? Allergy? Teeth? Jaw?

6. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      While I don't doubt variability of the conductive part of your hearing (middle ear) based on the state of your "ENT domain", I doubt that sensorineural losses are going to vary based on the output of your nose.
      Does your audiogram show conductive, sensorineural, or mixed losses? Better yet, can you post it? (if you are comfortable with doing so)

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Heya @GregCA I have various tests. The simplest and most easy to fail are the "can you hear this sound" test. These are the ones that I fail because I can't hear over the noise of T. Like having a conversation near the ocean and getting annoyed because I can't hear people. I can't hear the tones at the same frequency of the T because well I can't hear OVER the T. I am waiting for the convenient time when I have a good day and I can arrange an appointment and get a conclusive test done at that time. That will be the ah-hah moment.
      Otherwise my tests show normal ear function. Tympanometry etc all normal.
      And then there is the chance that all symptoms are symptoms of an unknown cause - it's not that nasal output is a symptom of T or anything nasal causes T, but maybe that the nasal symptoms and the hearing symptoms (T) are a result of say infection or something else?

8. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      So you've done Pure Tone Audiometry tests and you have an audiogram?