For How Long Can Acoustic Trauma Tinnitus Improve? Weeks, Months, Years After Onset?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Poseidon65, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      Hi folks,

Second post here on Tinnitus Talk.

I attended a concert 7 weeks ago which was too loud. As of today I still have tinnitus in one ear (but not the other).

I've seen it claimed that after a trauma event, one might see an improvement in tinnitus for as many as 6 months or even a year after the event. In the experience of folks here, is that really true? Mostly I'm trying to get a handle on what I might hope to expect from here on out (note I'm 7 weeks in).

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It varies so much for different people. The trend seems to be that if it doesn’t go away, it gets a lot easier to deal with.

I’m 3 1/2 months in and mine is still here (concert induced).

The best thing to do is just stop expecting it to go away and don’t give your tinnitus any thought if possible besides protecting your hearing and avoiding any place that might make it worse while your ears are still sensitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Aiden
      No Mood

Aiden Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely a virus, worsened by blow to side of head
      After about 2 months I stopped noticing improvements in my first bout of tinnitus. After that, it was barely noticeable. I'm at 3 weeks of my spike now and it's still pretty bad for me sadly. Acoustic trauma this time around.

4. Angela Riffe
      Mellow

Angela Riffe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've had tinnitus for about 9 months now. I noticed substantial improvements after the first 2 months and smaller improvements over the next 2 months. Since the initial four months, I haven't noticed a substantial difference. Sometimes I'm convinced it is a little better overall. However, I try not to think about it too much because it will just send me down a rabbit hole of emotions.

• Like Like x 3
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      Thanks for this.

Right now I'm at the 4-month mark, and so any improvements at this point, if there are any, would be hard to notice from one day to the next.

In my case there is still much variability in the tinnitus intensity. Some days the tinnitus is tough to deal with, and other days it's barely there. As time passes I'm hoping it gets to be more "barely there."

• Like Like x 1