For those new to this demon

Discussion in 'Support' started by Andrew_89, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      Hey guys as i was 5 months ago to how I am now .
      Guys I won't lie to you on how much it sucks a majorly. BUT .
      We all have a turning point mine was the fact that I have a stupid amount of friends that have the same problem working in the industry I do ( heavy industrial ) people younger than me older than me the same age who have had it for years . The thing is guys it does get better the point where you actually decide to say fuck this I'm guna live life . And to be honest I have done more now than I ever have fishing boating spearfishing parties surfing . Get the HELL OUT THERE DONT SIT AROUND AND FEEL SORRY FOR YOURSELF MINE RINGS ALL DAY yes It still sometimes pisses me off but there are so many people who have it so start gym do something new and live LIVE GOD DAM IT . ;)

• Like Like x 7
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      Mind to say listen to the veterans here they are the dudes ;)

3. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Whats the sound decibels like where you work? If you don't know how loud it is, theres a sound decibel meter app you can download to check. Im real curious to know considering your in hvy industrial.

Thanks for kick in the pants. :beeranimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      My onset wasn't like yours... I got mine after having my ears irrigated to remove ear wax... if yours isn't reactive I think that's a good sign... do you think your earlier t was always present after your first on set or intermittent, ie would you hear it falling asleep in a quiet room, or was it only when looking for it that you could hear it

5. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks for your post @Andrew_89 - I need some of your attitude!

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      Mine is loud guys . Really loud laying in bed is completely screwed but I can fall asleep now . I wear ear muffs on my hard hat at work and I can hear it pretty clearly through that I still have down days don't get me wrong I am doing a lot better than I was 5 months ago

• Like Like x 1
    7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013

I must state that these "apps" are very unreliable! At my work we have a calibrated full range dB meter. If compare that with my phone.... my phone was of by 11 dB.

the telephone mic is probably not full range nor does it have a flat frequency response. An app like that will tell you absolutely nothing and should NEVER be used to judge "save" sound levels.

8. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      I've read about that the dB apps being off on smartphones. But I've also heard the quality and version of your phone makes a difference in the accuracy. I own an iPhone5. I used the "Decibel 10th" app and compared it to a real dB meter and it was reading about the same between 65-95dB range. Could my actual dB meter be off? Sure. The dB app I have you can calibrate it to but I have not touched the settings. I would be interested in your input about knowing the difference between Decibel 10th versus your calibrated dB meter. Thx.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      It is pointless to do this. The best you can do is get a real dB meter and test (with a couple of sound levels) if there is an offset.

You must alway be aware of the fact that telephone microphones are probably not very sensitive outside of there working frequency range. e.g. at 4000 Hz both the phone and the dB meter read the same level, but at 14000 Hz the dB meter might read much more (the phone is simply picking up the sound). I just want to worn people for those apps, they can be very very wrong, that is all.

10. borris
      Alone

borris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/13
      Thanks I am going to take your advise It's not a cure but the only option I have heard that might make my life more bearable.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      Well
      I can say this mate I do these things with protection . Musician ear plugs 15 and 25 when you are having fun it seems to drift away into the back ground it's only really there when you look for it . Go camping with heaps of crickets those little guys are your buddies . It's you. your still you. be you. be better than you . I still get down but only when I let myself . At work I always wear protection right now I'm wearing them ear muffs and when it gets loud I wear ear plugs and ear muffs do I hear the sound hell yeah I do it brings it all out . But do I let my self give a shit hell no I would say life has gotten a lot better since I chose not to let it get to me .

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      My best mate he's 25 has had loud T since he was about 10 from ototoxicity . And he is living like a legend pure habituation he's also a drummer and he doesn't care at all even when it spikes how does he do this I have no idea but I will one day

• Winner Winner x 1