Forum Newbie, but a Tinnitus Sufferer for Many Years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by biosimilarz, Jun 3, 2014.

1. biosimilarz

biosimilarz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      I've had T for well over a decade now, maybe even longer. But recently it's gotten much worse. I used to have a mild whistling in my right ear, but it's now in both and much louder. Why? Based on what I've read on this forum, it could be a number of things. Otoxic drugs (e.g. aspirin), drinking, dehydration, too much caffeine, not enough exercise, a high fat diet, massive amounts of self-inflicted stress. Unsure if any or all of these have caused it to get worse. But it's worse, and I'm struggling to focus on anything else. Work, home life, friendships; they're all suffering.

My medical history isn't very interesting, but certain things could provide a pointer as to why I'm suffering now. I suffer from very waxy ears, and have needed to get my ears syringed on several occasions. I also have a feeling of my ears being full, and they pop regularly, especially when I go through train tunnels and fly. Has the trauma of the syringing caused it?

I have clinically diagnosed hearing loss in both ears, and I wear a hearing aid for certain activities (e.g. going to the movies). When at home I have earphones that are plugged into the TV so I can hear what's going on without deafening my family. Has the increased volume of the earphones and the hearing aid caused things to progress?

Like many of the people on this forum, my only relief comes from sleeping (when I can get to sleep, as it takes some time) and when I have a shower. The noise from the fan and the water completely masks my T, and I feel an immense sense of relief. Being busy also helps, especially when I'm outdoors doing things like mowing the lawn. But it's always there.

I'm not expecting miracles from being on this forum, but it helps in a small way to know I'm not alone. I'd be happy to correspond with other T sufferers to share experiences and understand what works for other people in terms of managing the impact of T.

All the best,
      Duncan.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      What's up Duncan!!?? :welcomesignanimation: Dude, you are so not alone!! Glad you found us here on TT! This forum is a fantastic resource for folks dealing with "T" (tinnitus). Awesome support from people who know EXACTLY what you are going through, and tons of spot on information (and a few wacky ideas!:wacky:)!! Living with T isn't easy, and it is comforting to know there is a place you can "go" where folks Get It!! That's here!

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on your T. Kudos! Keep up the good work. Advice, ease up on the "self induced stress"!! Find some healthy ways to process/get rid of your stress. HUGE trigger for T spikes!!! Chill out and just keep fighting the good fight.... and winning!!!(y)

Best to you!!

Jeff

:rockingbanana:

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. PhilB

PhilB Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Glad you have found the TT forum, Duncan - there is lots of useful information on here.

I just wondered if you had tried sound generators. Your are fortunate to live in the UK because you should be able to get them free-of-charge on the NHS. Your doctor should be able to refer you to ENT and then to an NHS Tinnitus Clinic who should be able to provide you with sound generators - at least that was how I got mine. They are Puretone Audimed MM1 and they generate a white noise type sound which can be used to mask T. They don't suit everyone but maybe they are worth a try if you haven't tried them yet.

The other thing I'd suggest you try is the DIY Acoustic Neuromodulation (ACRN) which is extensively discussed on another thread in the Treatments section of his forum. Opinions differ on whether ACRN can help to improve T in the long term but many people have reported that ACRN produces a "residual inhibition" effect which causes T to subside for a short time. This helps to give people a sense that they have some degree of control over their T and that is an important step towards managing the condition.

There is no single approach which works for everyone. Some people focus upon dietary changes or vitamin supplements but sound masking and DIY ACRN are the two things which have been most helpful for me.

As anyone on here will tell you, the most important things are to keep busy and stay positive. Don't let the T prevent you from doing anything that you want to do in life. You have had T for much longer than me and it sounds like you have done a pretty good job of managing it up to now.

all the best - Phil

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      biosimilarz

biosimilarz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      Phil, Jeff. Thanks for the replies. Since posting I've made some changes (cut out alcohol, did some exercise) and started using white noise to manage my symptoms. So far the white noise (I listen to heavy rain, sometimes a waterfall) has really helped. I listen to it for 30 mins and when it stops it feels like the "rawness" of the T has fallen. I also now take melatonin at bedtime to help me sleep (works, but has a laxative effect) and will start taking a multi vitamin that has 300mg magnesium in it (which I've read on here has helped a few peeps). I'm also making many more changes to my lifestyle. It's early days and I'll report back with updates soon. Thanks again! Duncan.