Four Years of Constant Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Connie C, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Connie C

Connie C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/15/2009
      In May of 2009, while sitting in my living room, I suddenly lost hearing in my left ear and started having ringing and a roar. I'm still deaf and the tinnitus is still there. It never stops. I went to a doctor at an urgent care and he gave me antibiotics and steroids. He didn't check my hearing. At the time I thought I had bad allergies and my ear was clogged. I didn't know I was deaf. The next day I put a phone to my ear and couldn't hear a thing. After that realization I have seen two ENT's, had an MRI, several hearing tests and several rounds of steroids. The tests looked okay and the steroids didn't work. Nothing has helped. I'm still deaf in one ear and have horrible tinnitus. It seems that I have adjusted to the deafness fairly well, but the tinnitus is horrible. It never stops. Not even for a minute! It seems the doctors and nurses I see all have the same thing to say, they don't know what caused me to lose hearing or to have tinnitus. I hear things like, "that's go to be aggravating" or "I know what you're going through, when I was younger I got it from time to time." I've not received any treatment nor I have I been referred to someone who may be able to help. As of now, I still have no idea what caused all of this or what can be done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I need relief from this!

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Connie, and welcome!

It's just awful that you have deafness in one ear, and very bad tinnitus in addition to that. It's too bad the doctors didn't have any additional suggestions or treatments for you. I was just wondering if you've been to an audiologist. I assume you've had an audiogram done to assess the level of your hearing loss, but did anyone suggest that you try seeing if a hearing aid would be helpful for you? For some people (I'm not one of them, I'm afraid!), hearing aids help, and may even cancel out the tinnitus. You could try one for 30 days on a free-trial basis. It might be worth a try!

I'm sure others on this forum will have additional suggestions for you. We've found that getting enough sleep, taking anti-depressants or natural supplements, sound masking, and sometimes dietary changes, can make a difference.

I wish you the best; we understand what you're going through!!

Hugs,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Connie C

Connie C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/15/2009
      Thanks so much, Karen. Yes, I have seen an audiologist and I'm completely deaf in that ear. My right ear is perfect. Unfortunately, a hearing aid won't help. The only diagnoses the doctor has given me is Sudden Hearing Loss (SHL). I see an ENT and Audiologist on the 25th of this month. I think my main goal at this visit is to let him know about the frustration and agitation the tinnitus has caused. I've never been treated for the tinnitus. The doctors have always had a very aloof attitude toward it, so for the last four years I have tried to "tough it out." It's starting to get the best of me. What kind of natural supplements should I try? Dietary changes?

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Connie,
      It's too bad that a hearing aid will not work for you; I'll be interested to hear what the ENT and audiologist will say later this month. Please do keep us posted on how you're doing.

In the meantime, some of the supplements that people on this forum find helpful are: Magnesium (I take 1,000 milligrams per day - magnesium chloride tablets); niacin (I don't take this myself, but others do), vitamin B-12, or a B-complex vitamin, gingko biloba (that doesn't work for many people, but doctors recommend it), fish oil, COQ10, and there are probably some other supplements I'm missing. This past week, I've been experimenting with apple cider vinegar, and I believe it helps with the ringing (1 tsp. apple cider vinegar, 1/4 tsp. baking soda, honey (optional), in a tall glass of water, once or twice per day).

Dietary changes include cutting back on caffeine, sugar, alcoholic beverages, and (for some people) gluten. Also, cutting out smoking is a good idea.

Other people on this forum might have additional suggestions. Each of us is different; what works for one person might not work for another. You might try experimenting with some of the supplements listed and see what works for you.

I wish you a good (and quieter!) evening,
      Karen

• Like Like x 2
    5. 2014winner
      Inspired

2014winner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otitis media with permanent hearing loss
      Hi Connie

I also lost hearing in one ear (a good amount), but a hearing aid can help tremendously. I agree with Karen, that anti-depressants or natural supplements, sound masking, and considering dietary changes, may make a difference.
      We understand what it is like. Please be well!

6. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Connie C -
      There is a new type of hearing aid that is surgically implanted, which may help you. See the following:

http://www.wpbf.com/news/health/Boynton-Beach-man-touts-revolutionary-hearing-aid/-/8788734/21250678/-/a188jz/-/index.html

It cost a lot: $30-$40K. You may want to ask if this will work for you. If it can restore your hearing, it may also eliminate your tinnitus.

I subscribe to the theory that, for most of us, tinnitus is due to an imbalance in auditory signals between the left and right ears. Your hearing is completely one sided, causing an imbalance, hence your tinnitus. Your brain is sending the tinnitus signal to your bad ear, trying to compensate for the loss of auditory signals from that ear. This is similar to "phantom limb syndrome", when an amputee "feels" an amputated limb.

Although this news story is in Florida, this device is being surgerically implanted in patients across the US.

- Karl