Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @Telis
      Do you have any additional questions? Like how this research is related to other treatments being tested by Otonomy and being given by Dr. Minbo Shim?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think I’m good for now, just have to maybe run back and read more.

I’m really hopeful for this treatment, someone with substantial hearing loss, tinnitus is kind of all you hear. Every time my hearing gets worse, my tinnitus goes haywire and becomes more intrusive.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I've had to step back and realize that most people have no clue how corporations work, how science is conducted, how the FDA operates, how there is an economic consideration for every little quantifiable measure of all of this, and the dynamic interplay between it all. It's taken me my whole adult life to really understand it all. I was lucky because I took pre-med in college as part of my bio-medical degree and now I do SAP for a huge international manufacturing corporation. Most people just don't get all of this. We just need to get on here and help educate people.

You and I obviously see how profound all of this is. Even if it turns out to not be desirable because of distorted hearing or some other complication, it is still the absolutely most significant thing for us to be focused on. MuteButton has nothing on this. This is some futuristic stuff. People that don't see how amazing this is are sadly missing some critical factor of understanding.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    4. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      If this is proven to work (human application) believe me, I will become educated very quickly, so will the rest of the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Educate yourself now...

• Like Like x 3
    6. Deathtotinni

Deathtotinni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Qtip and maybe a sound..who knows
      Lecture: Toward a True Cure for Hearing...

If you haven’t seen this video watch it. I think a lot of keywords are going to be difficult for a lot of people to understand. Maybe we should make a glossary or something so they can better understand the video.

• Like Like x 7
    7. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks man, I’ll do my best, but to be honest, I lack a little enthusiasm until something becomes reality, until then, too much speculation for me. Many things look good in the lab only to be a complete flop.

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I will watch it. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. Deathtotinni

Deathtotinni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25 minute video I just posted explains it perfectly. Worked on mice, macaques (primate), and human cochlear outside of the body.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      You couldn’t... I totally could.

Very selfish but when you get rid of it you just want to forget about it as fast as possible and get your life back on track, not really spending time to tell strangers your problem is gone.

So, yeah, not hearing about people from this trial is rather a good sign.

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      My closest friends... my family, I would tell them indeed but I would just tell them on the phone or during a dinner just like I would give my opinion on any other topic. They’d be happy for me and forget about it after the dinner telling themselves I will be easier to live. End of story. The next day everyone is on something else including myself.

Do you really intend to have a party after your tinnitus is gone?! You’ll be alone at your party come on...

I have always been thinking that tinnitus is a battle against yourself. Pretty much no one has something to care about your T they can’t hear for you. People, even the closest, know you as you are for years or decades. They know you with tinnitus, depressed, and they don’t consider your tinnitus every time they see you. You’re just like that, and if you’ve been like that for years then you’ve always been like that to them, this is just you. When your T is gone, if you ever become happier then they will see you’re becoming funnier or more interesting but it doesn’t mean they will love you more. In short, they don’t give a shit about your tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Deathtotinni

Deathtotinni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah they are no longer tirelessly searching for a cure. They are no longer consumed. They are free.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    13. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Didn't they only get it in one ear?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    14. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah, it would get out, people like to talk, give me break. Maybe you wouldn’t but let’s get real.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      It is true. That was my case when my tinnitus had almost disappeared years ago.

However, some return to tell (few). From time to time we see a true "success story" (fading / lessening) in our forum. Unfortunately the rest are stories of habituation.

Anyway, I'm going to try to think positively about what you said. Maybe this injection is really effective.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      Alone or not, after 18+ years of this shit, I will party straight for at least a week :rockingbanana:

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 2
    17. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cash me ousside we'll party.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    18. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      No. But most likely I will go to a party (still carrying earplugs with me).
      Soon after my haring issues started I have not visited friends. Family as little as possible. That will change.

But I do understand what you mean and agree.

• Agree Agree x 4
    19. Deathtotinni

Deathtotinni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah just one ear but most people only get tinnitus in one ear.

• Informative Informative x 2
    20. Street Novelist
      Depressed

Street Novelist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music through headphones
      God, I hope this drug works. I don't know what I would do if it fails. With the hearing loss, ringing/beeping and fullness, life is unbearable.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 3
    21. Tilts
      Artistic

Tilts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, TMJ Contributing
      Sorry if this has been addressed already, but what would happen if someone with no hearing loss at lower frequencies received this treatment? Is there an "upper limit" on hair growth? Would this be useless for people with NIHL hearing loss notches, if other frequencies are unaffected?

22. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      If it fails, we will have to think about another hopeful treatment. Maybe Dr. Rauschecker will surprise us with some drug in a few years.

There will always be some hope, some development. This is not the life we dream, but it is what we have.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. Deathtotinni

Deathtotinni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Generally speaking low frequency hearing loss is treatable and a lot of the time curable. It’s the higher frequencies that are normally affected by noise trauma and causes nerve damage. This is for people with high frequency hearing loss.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      I haven't said every one wouldn't. I'm trying to explain some people (and maybe most of them) wouldn't and why. Don't get offended that's not my intention.

I guess from dozens/hundreds of people we can indeed expect a few feedbacks :) Maybe during next phase.

And you're right. I've always thought I would do something great the day that stuff I have in my head for 13 years now will be removed. But just like Don Tinny (see quote above in this post) the days/years my tinnitus was not loud and almost not an issue I found myself reacting like "ok, fuc**** great, let's face this day with lust for life" focusing on my daily tasks with joy and happiness. But the idea of organizing something related to this event was gone far, far, far away. I'm talking for me.

25. streeter1985
      Studious

streeter1985 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss (stress + virus activation)
      There are many other companies/universities that work right now on the regeneration idea - turning supporting cells into hair cells. Frequency Therapeutics is not alone, there is already competition and it is great that more companies focus on the regeneration because by the end of the day the best drug cocktail in combination with the best delivery method will win the race. I hope the competition will also show us soon the limitations of this idea.

Don't focus on just one drug. It's just the beginning. What if it cures hearing loss but not tinnitus...too many open questions - everything is just speculation or works in theory. I know there is a lot of speculation going on in this thread try to filter out the real facts for yourself that's healthier.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stop telling people how to think. FX-322 is the closest one of these drugs that may hit the market. All we care about is being rid of tinnitus so we can get on with our lives. Just because we are focusing on this doesn't mean we can't also be aware of other things.
      That is a bizarre hope. My hope is that it works perfectly and restores us to a normal existence.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 4
    27. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      @JohnAdams: Agreed, but our second hope is Audion Therapeutics. They are not as forthcoming as Frequency Therapeutics and their method is less attractive but they start phase II in the upcoming weeks. I assume Frequency Therapeutics is aware of them. So there is pressure.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This too. If it cures tinnitus then it is also important.

• Like Like x 3
    29. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      Yes, let's hope so. The method Audion Therapeutics uses will convert supporting cells to hair cells.

As far as I understood this also happens in birds and fish because I saw a movie where that happened. Unfortunately I cannot find it anymore. Maybe somebody on this site has a link to it.

Until now I do not know how many support cells a human has. So if we have a lot of support cells this method should not have impact on the support cell population. Audion Therapeutics is backed by Eli Lilly. A big player in pharma.

• Like Like x 3
    30. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No link needed, mammals are the only vertebrates that don't regenerate hearing cells.

• Agree Agree x 2