Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I never claimed to want to punch her in the face.

I made an incorrect claim that patent information indicated that they had methods to treat Meniere's disease.

But then I found a comment from a scientist that is probably Will McLean of Frequency Therapeutics that stated that they could in fact regenerate vestibular hair cells which could in fact treat balance and dizziness problems associated with Meniere's disease.

I never said I wanted to punch her in the face nor did I even use the word punch.

Thanks for the false accusation. I seem to get those daily now.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Leoglobe
      Tolerant

Leoglobe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @JohnAdams So FX-322 is not going to regenerate the vestibular cells right? Those don't regenerate by themselves either? FX-322 will only repopulate the cochlea with inner and outer hair cells and synapses right?

I think that acoustic trauma can damage vestibular cells as well so that would have been good.

3. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I know. It was a figure of speech. Thanks again for all the research you are providing for this thread. :bookworm:

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most of us are here because we have damaged/destroyed cochlear and or vestibular hair cells. Why aren't we all on the edge of our seats about the fact that they can regenerate these things????

Some of us here are basically worse than dead and want to freaking kill themselves. Furthermore how can you have this disease and be totally content while an overbloated governmental reporting system slowly allows information to be disseminated to us?

Instead we are just told to sit down and shut up. There is plenty of data from different places about different experiments including Frequency Therapeutics that indicates that this will more than likely help us.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If The Leviathan is Will McLean, then he has stated that they have successfully regenerated vestibular hair cells.

This is very amazing.

They have shown the drug to be safe per phase 1.
      They have given the real drug to 16 people with SNHL. This trial will be over very soon.
      We should be interested enough in this to be asking questions. We are literally dying.

Have any humans in the history of the world ever been able to regrow complex parts of sensory organs?

Imagine if they invented warp drive anti gravity ships and their flight paths were governed by existing FAA regulations?

Imagine if they invented free, clean, renewable energy and distributed it like they do now with coal and nuclear energy.

Imagine if aliens from another world came to America and they were deported for not having passports.

Imagine if a group of absolute geniuses invented a way to regenerate human tissue and they had to go through the FDA reporting process.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Street Novelist
      Depressed

Street Novelist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music through headphones
      The guy running the trial in San Antonio told me in August Frequency Therapeutics would be posting the results on their website in December.

• Informative Informative x 4
    7. Street Novelist
      Depressed

Street Novelist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music through headphones
      @JohnAdams, could you show me where they said FX-322 could regenerate the vestibular system? Thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Could be like brief summary. We could get a slightly more in depth summary in January and get real stuff next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is a reddit thread where a PhD student from the lab that developed all of this technology had made this claim under the username TheLeviathan. Will McLean of Frequency Therapeutics was apart of this group I believe.

Make of this what you will.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      If you have 24 minutes to spare, watch:

Lecture: Toward a True Cure for Hearing...

I have a feeling that Will McLean mentions vestibular cells at some point. Maybe I misremember.

• Like Like x 4
    11. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Screenshot_20181117-044415_Chrome.jpg

Look at the treatments Frequency Therapeutics is working on. Why aren't governments getting behind this now? I see that the DoD $ is in muscle regeneration but why not also remyelination? Now that mankind has unlocked this technology why isn't the president giving a JFK moon landing like speech to cure diseases? If we can now mimic animals like fish and birds to regenerate hearing, then why wouldn't we be able to eventually figure out how to regenerate other body parts? Shouldn't this be our top priority?

Please forgive the off topic-ness of this post. It is related to this field if technology though.

"That let us identify genes involved in the skeletal, muscular, vascular, nervous and immune systems, all of which go into making a functional limb," Kioussi said. "Expression of genes related to the immune, skeletal and vascular systems showed big increases over time, which suggests Pax3+ cells give rise to more than muscles -- they're involved in patterning and the three-dimensional formation of the forelimb through multiple systems."

The research opens the potential to use stem cell pockets, for example, to grow a new arm or leg or other organ for someone who's lost a body part to accident or disease."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180516101418.htm

Regenerative medicine is rapidly approaching and Frequency Therapeutics is taking the first step into this new world. We should all be focused on this. We need our governments to step up like this is a war and fund fund fund.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Deathtotinni

Deathtotinni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Qtip and maybe a sound..who knows
      Backlash? Why would anyone be mad about that?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. Deathtotinni

Deathtotinni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Qtip and maybe a sound..who knows
      Frequency Therapeutics has a DoD contract.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. reeseth

reeseth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Menieres
      Was the thread 5 years old? Or did I miss anything?

15. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah. They've been working on this for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. SuntoryTime
      Caffeine

SuntoryTime Member

It's not his opinions. I agree with his point of view wholeheartedly. I think that Frequency Therapeutics should hurry up, too.

If I may speak freely, the only time I had any interaction with him, he was kind of a jerk to me. I can only speak for myself, but I put JohnAdams on "ignore" not because I disagree with him, but because of the mean-spiritedness and arrogance he has displayed here. Life is bad enough with loud, screaming tinnitus without having to deal with jerks on a support forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. reeseth

reeseth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Menieres
      Great, even before they founded Frequency Therapeutics in 2014.

I choose to place my hope in this formula. After all, without hope, whats the point? There are many fields without progress like this.

Still, it's hard to believe, because it would mean so much to many, many people around the world.

Maybe faith or luck will tip the scale? At least I’m looking forward to the results!

• Agree Agree x 3
    18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Notice in that Reddit thread how they argue with The Leviathan.

One user even asked:

"I must ask, and since your are in a Ph.D. program for a lab that does tinnitus research, why are you propagating this idea?"

Maybe because he's a Ph.D. student in a lab doing tinnitus research? Mondo notion, maybe he might just be right?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The old method gene therapies used was converting supporting cells into hair cells.

Frequency Therapeutics gets supporting sells to duplicate, then turn into hair cells and that in itself is much more effective, I do not know the properties of the gel they are using to navigate the cochlea.

20. ee9892

ee9892 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      My biggest interest in this medicine is the repairing synapses function. I believe that's where tinnitus is created (damaged synapses sending signals).

Success or failure I'm happy they are moving forward each year.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Does anyone know the answer to this question:

If the hair cells grow, and it works, do we know how will the brain will use them, or interpret them?

Growing them successfully is one thing, but how the brain uses them, or responds to them, is another thing entirely. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    22. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      From a quick search of their patent info.

"biocompatible matrix" as used herein is a polymeric carrier that is acceptable for administration to humans for the release of therapeutic agents. In some instances, a biocompatible matrix may be a biocompatible gel or foam."

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2017151909A2/en?oq=frequency+therapeutics+will+mclean+hydrogel

There could be more info but that's all I could find.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have a few questions regarding the debate about whether tinnitus is a result of nerve issues or just loss of input as the root cause.

1. If excess stimulation can cause permanent nerve dysfunction, glutamate problems etc, then how come excess use of tens units, on high settings, do not cause the same type of sensory nerve dysfunction, also I myself have taken jolts to the hand of about 20 amps at 110 volts which is more than 2 kW of instantaneous power and surely hair cell synapses cannot create nearly that much power.

2. Wouldn't the failure of AM 101, that targeted the NMDA receptors, have alleviated tinnitus if that was indeed the cause?

3. How can anyone claim restoring sensory input from the hair cells would not cure or reduce tinnitus if they have never done this yet? At least until this year.

4. Wouldn't the earplug and cochlear implant experiments that show a reduction in tinnitus lend credence to the theory that tinnitus is lost input?

5. Wouldn't sensory deprivation experiments in general show that your brain will certainly fill in for lost input?

Please rip any ignorance in these questions to shreds if you know of any. I'm just trying to understand this.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Well, If they are grown successfully, they brain has no chance of escaping this "new" or "recurring" input, right? Just like it couldn´t escape the loss of it.
      And how will it use it? Well, logically, it will use it to restore balance in the brain, probably starting with the DCN, thus alleviation or termination of T.

I see you bring up this question time and again @Ed209. Even though we can not know, I hope you agree this is the logical response? Everything else is making things more complicated than it might be imho!
      There is no reason to think the brain will interpret this differently than before it was lost, is there?

Taking into account, that "growing successfully" means input is also successfully restored.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
      • Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    25. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’ve never asked this question before? I was just curious if anyone had any further information about it from Frequency Therapeutics’ point of view.

I wondered how the brain might handle the new sensory stimuli (if the cells send a viable signal, that is), as it’s surely an important part of the equation? It was a legitimate question.

• Like Like x 1
    26. rid0871

rid0871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may of 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      had my neck adjusted
      I don't get why no one in the trial can hint or say anything to anyone...

We need HOPE... so bad... and they said December. They need to stick to that.

Why don't these people care, do they not understand a minute is like an hour, and an hour is like a day, and a day is like a week and so on.

Living in suffering... please anyone who's part of the study, reach out, please give us something, some kind of HOPE. Please also to Frequency Therapeutics, please please please.

• Hug Hug x 5
    27. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It’s not as simple as that. Do we know if the new hair cells connect to the brain properly? That’s all I’m asking. I figured someone might have some information on it, but I didn’t expect this response.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If anyone here knows electronics back me up on this.

When you have an op-amp, it needs a good reference level, which is usually ground or virtual ground, this is a steady voltage, which is why it's called reference. If you have no ground or a ground fault, it introduces all kinds of imbalance to the circuit, this can manifest as "noise" in the circuit.

Our nerves are electrochemical, sodium and potassium channels along the axon. There is a RESTING voltage potential of around -70millivolts, thats -0.70 volts. That's silence in your auditory nerve.
      An impulse goes to about +30 millivolts which is a difference of 100 millivolts or .1 volt. 1/15th a AA battery.

ap2.gif
      http://www.biologymad.com/nervoussystem/nerveimpulses.htm

I've taken 110 volts to the hand which is 1,100 times more and it never caused a sensory input dysfunction, but chop my hand off and I'll get phantom limb sensations.

Doesnt this mean that the phantom auditory sensation aka tinnitus is from loss of sensory input? Perhaps a lack of the resting voltage potential from intact nerves?

Take analog TVs for example, no plug, static, video, static hiss audio. Not black silence. Plug in a source with no content, black and silence. I think this is tinnitus.

RIP this theory to shreds if you can please.

29. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’m guessing that means there’s no information about this?

I suppose we’ll find out when Frequency update us on its efficacy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      @Ed209,

It´s hard to get what you are asking:
      Firstly you ask, if successful and it works, how will the brain interpret the new input?
      Now you ask, will they also form synapses, when the HC are grown successfully and it works?

And, yes, you have, if not directly, numerous times said that we don´t know what it will do with tinnitus (then of course tinnitus from SNHL) and so on. You talk about maladaptive something....

Maybe the question is, why wouldn´t the brain respond to new input, as it did when it lost it?

But, yes. The regenerated HC will form synaptic connections to the hearing nerve. Otherwise, it would be rather futile.

One has to remember, nothing is really added here (besides molecules their compound), but no stems cells are added. It just stimulates a natural process by inhibiting another.

It´s tough, I admit, to comprehend it all, and yes, we will have to wait and see.
      But, if successful, and it works. And if it successfully forms new synapses and it successfully restores input to the brain. Especially if it softens up some "gaps" of hearing, we have a real chance at a success here.
      If successful o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
      • Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1