Ghost or Brain — Cause of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jonesy1953, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Jonesy1953

Jonesy1953 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello Whoever, I am 64 yrs of age and started to have signs of Tinnitus about two years ago. This is what happened...

I was in a deep sleep when someone or something screamed my name into my right ear and I mean really really screamed it, it was unbelievably loud and i woke immediately with my right ear absolutely ringing with pain, I looked around the darkened bedroom expecting to see the person or thing or whatever it was that screamed - nothing there.

Anyway the next day I was just sat when I heard two loud 'beeps' in my ear and thought what's that? It sounded like one of those loud radio or tv signals which then trails off to nothing....

The day after I was sat again and I just suddenly heard this 'hissing' which sounded like my wife's pressure cooker with the top spinning.

Two years later it has got considerably louder and am afraid if it gets any louder it will drive me insane. I do know the more occupied you are the less you hear it. I also know it comes from the brain and not the actual ears. I have also heard the 'voices' which sounded like a group of elves or pixies talking to each other although what they were saying was indiscernible.

That happened early on in the condition, about nine months later i was diagnosed with bppv - Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo which was horrific to say the least, at best you really don't know if you're stood on your head or feet when it happens and it happened frequently unfortunately for me.

Apparently about a thousand microscopic crystals sit in each inner ear in their own particular abode but sometimes some of these crystals can drop out into another place in the ear where they shouldn't be and cause havoc with your balance, in my case a whole clump of these blighters dropped out. Luckily for me there is a procedure known as the Epley Manoeuvre in which Clinicians manipulate the head so the crystals end up in a 'safer' place. After having that done I was fine.

Anyway sorry for going on so long but I just want to ask this - did a 'ghost' who didn't like me scream my name into my ear knowing what would happen, what it would cause? or.....was it my brain telling me something had gone wrong 'in there'? Has this scenario leading to Tinnitus happened to anyone else? Best Wishes to you all and don't give up!

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Jonesy1953 This happens quite often in hospitals and nursing homes among older people. It's known to be caused by fear and anxiety. Sudden ear movement - tympanum (the ear drum) or the tensor tympani which is the muscle involved in reducing sound. It can relate to having tinnitus, but I'm not so sure that it can cause tinnitus unless maybe you have extremely low calcium levels and very high stress levels. A night light often will help.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jonesy1953

Jonesy1953 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for that Greg, very interesting indeed, you might well be right have always been tense with anxiety all my life, god knows why, i do take blood pressure drugs and have had ears syringed about six times because of excess wax, odd for it to happen though while asleep don't you think? And a night light? never been afraid of the dark or anything for that matter in fact was a doorman for years in my younger days and took on all comers without a thought.....

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Jonesy1953 Is your blood pressure being monitored on a regular basis? I would mention this to your doctor since you have taken blood pressure medicine, but don't worry yourself, it common among older people. Do something relaxing before sleep.

5. maxweber

maxweber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Faulty HVAC units releasing chemicals
      Jonesy1953, long term victims of natural gas combustion (CO and 20+ other chemicals) relate "ghosts" in their homes too. The whole family related how they thought the house was haunted. I was told of the report second hand. Apparently the doctor - and this was years back - thought enough to record pages of their testimony. Later they found the cause. We went through something similar but not to that great extent of hallucinations regularly.

6. maxweber

maxweber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Faulty HVAC units releasing chemicals
      Oh yeah, vertigo thing and dizziness are part of it. After we left for two years into good, clean house, my wife was prescribed mobix for something. She was dizzy for weeks. It says right there in bold print at the top on the medicine info that it can cause dizziness; but of course the doctor didn't think that's what caused it. LOL. Obviously, having been almost killed, our bodies are not set to absorb doses of other meds. Detox took 6 months to be able to jog. Took over 2 years to get back to adult brain function. Probably will never be clean. E.g. the tinnitus is constant - but at least I don't see termination of life as a reasonable option from it like I did some days in the house!

7. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      typical case of ghost sounds caused by a ghost

• Like Like x 1
    8. maxweber

maxweber Member

Tinnitus Since: