Good Explanation of Masking, and Different Types of Noise (Pink, Brown, etc.)

Discussion in 'Research News' started by DezDog, Aug 16, 2012.

tinnitus forum
    1. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
    2. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      thanks dezdog interesting link

heres a summary of what i know about sound spectrum and power output for frequency

white noise has equal power output over the entire sound spectrum

pink noise is a sound spectrum with decreasing power output as the frequency goes up

brown is like pink only more so

blue noise has greater power output as frequency increases kinda the opposite of pink noise

and violet noise is like blue noise but more so,,,kinda the opposite of brown noise

i even have heard about something called grey noise...it has a U shaped power output over the sound spectrum (higher power output at higher and lower frequencies and low output in the middle

for me white noise works best for helping me to stop thinking about by tinnitus

best wishes

3. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Thanks mt. Out of interest what is or was your occupation? (Software developer here...)

4. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      race car mechanic, construction worker, juvenile correctional counselor, ( hobbies, musician, astronomer)

5. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Very interesting! I had wondered if you had electronic engineering in there.

6. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      My audioligist toldme about purple noise gave me a CD and its great got more high frequencies ,knocks my T out and is very comfortable white and pink is Harsh to me.