Got a Tinnitus Spike from a Hair Clipper Dropping onto the Tile Floor (70 - 79 dB)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jaysterk, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Here we are again. Another spike. This time from dropping a hair clipper. I was not using them at the moment. I was merely handing them off to someone when they fell out of my hand and onto the tile floor causing a loud bang, followed by an immediate high frequency spike in the left ear.

I take NAC and Magnesium daily.

I went back to measure (using earplugs and ear muffs) the dB levels caused by the bang using a dB app and after repeated attempts the results are: 70 - 78 dB. I even tried making it a worse case scenario dropping the clippers from higher and putting the phone closer than I was and still no higher than 79 dB.

What gives? Permanent spike from that? I'm worried as this is the worst spike I've ever had.

P.S. I have moderate hyperacusis.

2. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      So sorry this happened to you. 70-80 dB shouldn’t cause a permanent spike, I wouldn’t think. Does anything help your hyperacusis?

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Those are my thoughts exactly but it's still a scary situation. Today it seems the spike has been cut by half but it hasn't yet settled down to before spike level.

As for the hyperacusis, the only thing that I find helps it is exposing myself to moderate everyday sounds.

Yourself?