Got Tinnitus 2 Weeks Ago. What Should I Expect in Future?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by youngboy, Feb 11, 2017.

1. youngboy

youngboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe use of headphones
      Hello. I am 23 years old and I got tinnitus 2 weeks ago. I will be going to an ENT next week but I am pretty confident it is permanent.

I am yet to break the news to my parents which I will do after the visit to ENT, but I wanted to know what should I expect in the coming weeks,months and years.

I am just 23 and do not wish to go deaf when I am in my mid 30's or 40's. Any things to look out for or tips or anything of that manner will help me.
      Thank you. :)

2. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      There are many people with tinnitus who have perfect hearing and will continue to have very good hearing throughout their lives. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      If hearing loss is your main concern, you have nothing to worry about ;)

Hearing loss might cause tinnitus, not the other way around.

How are you coping? Is tinnitus affecting your life?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      youngboy

youngboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe use of headphones
      It is tough having it, I try to mask it with other noise but when that noise is gone it is difficult to study. Right now my room has only a fan and its nosie and I can hear it clearly and even some kind of ambient noise which worked 3 days ago does not seem to be working now.
      I do not know if it is cause I am thinking about it or is it actually becoming worse.
      And it makes it difficult to study

5. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I can clearly understand what you are saying by this. I have T since a little more than a month. Earlier white noise machine was enough to mask it. Now I can hear over the white noise machine. I don't know if my T increased of I got used to white noise machine and my brain is giving priority to T's noise. After 2 weeks of T i thought I found a way to sleep better and now again I have sleep issues.

Try buying white noise machine from target. It has various sounds rain, waves, trees, etc.. Probably play those while studying/sleeping.

6. matthewnewman23
      Fine

matthewnewman23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      First of all, coming from someone who has had tinnitus for 3 years, and recently damaged it more to where it is usually detectable in the right ear...you WILL get better. I will tell you exactly what I did to help myself to have a normal life.

First, I made a plan of things I could do to:
      • make it stop
      • reduce the noise
      • protect my ears from further damage.
      MAKING THE PLAN IMMEDIATELY CHANGED MY PERCEPTION OF TINNITUS AND BOOSTED MY EMOTIONAL RESPONSE.
      I was no longer stressed by it, and was able to go right to sleep as I had something to work on, keeping my mind off the noise.

1. analyze your diet. Certain foods and beverages DO cause it to get worse. I don't know why but I know that alcohol causes mine to get real loud. Also too much meat for some reason does it.
      2. Download a frequency generator, and play a frequency to match the noise. CAUTION: DO NOT PLAY LOUD INTO YOUR EAR. Just enough to match the volume. Usually just 1 or 2 in volume works.
      3. Buy earplugs for loud areas, and most importantly learn the word NO. Tell people you cannot be around loud noises and leave if you are uncomfortable. Do not let other people make you feel obligated to feel you are wrong to protect your ears. This has caused fights in my life with my girlfriend especially because she doesn't understand. Stay strong friend. You will get better, but you must try to do it yourself. I haven't really had luck with doctors other than that they told me that my hearing is mostly perfect, so it's not hearing loss. I have tried ENT's other doctor's...nothing worked except helping myself through the kind contributions people have posted on this site. This community saved me.

• Like Like x 1