Got Woken Up in the Middle of the Night by a Very Loud Ringing Sound in My Head

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leaf, Aug 19, 2020.

?

Have you been woken up by your tinnitus?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Leaf

Leaf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknowm
      Hello everyone. So I've had tinnitus for a very long time and grew accustomed to it, it never really had any negative impact on me except the slightly annoying neverending sound. But yesterday, I was woken up by an extremely loud and continued low pitched noise, which was the first time that happened to me, I tried covering my ears but it didn't come from outside so I just went to the conclusion that it was my tinnitus that for some reason got louder.

If I had to give an approximation, the sound was about 410Hz and would go up and down in volume.

So I wanted to know if this was really caused by my tinnitus or some night auditory illusion, if this happened to any of you people before and whether or not I should go see a doctor.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Happened to me a couple of times since onset, usually goes away after a while. Nothing to worry about unless it doesn't subside even after hours.

3. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Are you specifically curious whether the same-ish low pitch tinnitus happened to anybody else? How long did it last?

What happened to me a couple of times: (mind you, my current tinnitus is UHF around 12000 Hz.) I got woken up to very loud fleeting tinnitus which was significantly lower in pitch than my normal one, but nowhere near as 410 Hz. 2 times it happened during dreaming. I dreamt about loud noises (once it was a broken speaker, the other it was an explosion), and then I was woken up to fleeting tinnitus. It didn't last long, a minute max, but it was horrible, scared me so, so much.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leaf

Leaf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknowm
      I was mostly wondering if anybody had the same thing happen to them and was woken up by their tinnitus, not necessarily a low-pitch one. I woke up not long after I fell asleep, therefore I was still extremely tired and still managed to fall asleep despite my tinnitus rather quickly (5-10 minutes). I can't remember what I was dreaming about, maybe it was related to it just like yours.

I was really scared too! Since it was the first time it happened to me I started looking around like a lunatic wondering where the sound (which sounded like some sort of siren to me at that time) came from, only to realize it was in my head.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. JohnL99
      Mellow

JohnL99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise induced
      I guess the important thing is... Did it go away?

6. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Why is it so many people wake up with tinnitus? Anyone please have an answer.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leaf

Leaf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknowm
      My tinnitus is still there, it's just gone back to the usual frequency and the usual volume and thankfully it didn't happen last night

• Like Like x 1
    8. JohnL99
      Mellow

JohnL99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise induced
      Very happy for you Leaf! I'm glad it went back to normal for you.

Mine seems to be slowly going back to normal after my first ever 'spike' as well.

9. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Glad it went back to normal. My answer as to whether tinnitus has ever woken me up would have to be "I don't know." Sure have been kept up by it, though!