Gradually doing better

Discussion in 'Support' started by Riikka, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I wanted to write about how I'm doing for you, so you see also some positive news here.

I have had tinnitus already since 2007. Then about three months ago I attended a gig which aggravated my tinnitus. First I thought the T would calm down again and wasn't very worried about it. Then I realized it had stayed at the increased level and started to panic. I felt nearly the same way again as in 2007 when I had just got my T. The same thing started again, not being able to concentrate, relax, this time also my sleeping was affected. I spent two months with bad sleeps, either not being able to fall asleep or waking up in the night sometimes several times for 0.5-6 hours.

I tried to apply everything I had read and learned about how to improve sleeping: not drinking coffein in the evening, doing exercise outdoors every day, not going to bed unless when really sleepy, waking up every morning at the same time. Also taking Mirtazapine (Remeron) in the evening has helped.

I also tried to continue doing enjoyable things that let me forget the T for a while, like my singing lesson.

And now, after nearly three months, I start to feel better. Last night I was even able to sleep 9 hours without interruption. The T is still there. It might be a little more quiet than three months ago, but the biggest difference is I can deal with it better.

I still have some challenges: when I wake up in the morning I often wish it would just be quiet and I wouldn't hear that sound. And I listen to a lot of music, as I don't like to sit down in a quiet room. I also still use background sound while sleeping.

Have a nice weekend!

• Like Like x 7
    2. AnnieM
      Stressed

AnnieM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PROBABLY long term exposure to the sound of motors/blowers
      Thanks for the uplifting report... that's the hardest thing for anyone with T, to realize that eventually you will start to deal with it.

3. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Thank you for sharing. I'm glad to hear you're coming along.

4. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      riikka - I am glad you are doing better .its always good to hear that people do recover after T spikes .