Author
Sep 8, 2014
Antwerp
Tinnitus Since
05/06/2014
Cause of Tinnitus
Noise
Hello Doctor Nagler,

I am following TRT now with some succes i might say, I have alot of good days where I barely hear my T, compared to the first few months that is an amazing progress.

But sometimes after awhile my T starts acting up again, louder and bothersome, my audiologist said that this has alot to do with my thinking, for example : scaring or getting annoyed of some louder sounds and the brain picks up the T again.

What is your opinion on this, is it normal in the habituation process to have bad days and really good days ?

I also smoke cigarettes, do you think that has a bad effect on my T or my habituation process ?

Thanks,
Bart

[Referring to TRT] is it normal in the habituation process to have bad days and really good days ?

Yes, definitely. But overall the good days tend to get better and better over time, and the bad days tend to be less and less bad over time. Even so, there can be some rather impressive swings. Also, don't forget that habituation has nothing to do with the loudness of your tinnitus. Rather, it has to do with your tinnitus being less and less bothersome regardless of how loud it might be. (Dr. Jastreboff calls this phenomenon Hr.) And it has to do with your being aware of it less and less unless you purposely seek it. (Dr. Jastreboff call this phenomenon Hp.)

I also smoke cigarettes, do you think that has a bad effect on my T or my habituation process ?

Smoking cigarettes will kill you. When that happens, your tinnitus will no longer be an issue. So in that sense there is a connection. Otherwise, not.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now