Habituation Revisited

Discussion in 'Support' started by Craggy 65, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Craggy 65
      Amazed

Craggy 65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      My Tinnitus began in March this year,I freaked out,visited 4 doctors,told to live with it,took 4drugs,then slowly habituated,got off the tablets,and became bullish about T.But surprise,surprise,it upped its game,and now I,m learning again how to accept the new noise.Its nowhere near as difficult as the original trials,but still worrying enough.Any support or views will be welcome.

2. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey, you did it once I know you'll be able to do it again, T is just testing your strength (It loves to play games with me) your new to tinnitus and you seem already very strong against T, the first time is always the hardest, but hey the fact that you've only had it a few months and had already habituated means that you are going to be just fine, worrying will only make it worse, so try and calm down by doing some things you enjoy, it'll keep you distracted if your not focusing on your new T adjusting will be easier! Best of Luck!!

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Craggy 65
      Amazed

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Thank you for your advise,do you think an increased volume can be habituated,as the initial one was?

4. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      Hello!!

Twice habituated here... once in 2007 at onset (cause: meds) and a second time to a new louder T (cause: meds). I think it was harder the second time actually and a bit longer...

As of today, I am 98% habituated to this new louder and more annoying T. Life is good :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Learn to live with it? Now where have I heard that before? Dam doctors they seem to be the only words they know when it concerns tinnitus.anyway It gets better, I was on my knees praying for a miracle when I first got tinnitus, a miracle that never came my way. I needed help but where, I found my own ways of dealing with it . Like eating a healthy diet avoiding all the bad things like SALT. CAFFINE. MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE ASPRIN. Msg is real bad if you have T so look out for it. It's in most foods such as crisps and most snacks it's also used to season food. Look at the small print on food labelling , it's one of the main ingredients. I also exercise to keep my stress levels down. Because stress is the main issue when it come to tinnitus. It can cause tinnitus or make it a whole lot worse . I hope this information helps.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't see why not whenever my t has gotten worse I use the same methods of coping and Its worked good luck try habituating the same way you did before and keep us posted on how it works out and if it doesn't we'll help you find another way to habituate :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Craggy 65
      Amazed

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Thank you all for your support,I get renewed inspiration each time I come on here.I went to see Crystal Palace play Arsenal yesterday,but had to come out before it started,but I felt ok because i was free to walk,not all have that facility.Today i,m cycling along the South Downs,so lucky,regards all.

8. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's fantastic. You did so well. I'm sure you'll manage to do just as well again. You already had the practice!

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Thanks for this reminder! We have to always make sure that we're doing all we can so that our T won't get worse. Just one mistake and it could be a permanent spike. Can't take any chances!!!

• Agree Agree x 1