Habituation

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (Archived Answers)' started by 2131e, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not accepting new questions.
    Dismiss Notice
tinnitus forum
    1. 2131e
      Wishful

2131e Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/2014
      Hi Dr Nagler,

I spent a long time researching AM-101 and even signed up to the trial. However, after keeping the diary for a couple of weeks I am more and more struck by how much I'm not currently bothered by my tinnitus. I first got it around 5 months ago and was so distressed I was on anti anxiety meds for several months. But I've become much more relaxed about since. Just to totally test out out my level of 'botheredness' I am sitting here with some foam earplugs in and some ear muffs over the top. With all this sound protection gear on, I can definitely hear my T, and while I admit it is pretty much the same sound as what it was initially though perhaps a bit quieter, I just am not really bothered by it. In a way it almost feels like a friend that hangs out with me and makes a funny sound. I don't have trouble sleeping and the only time I feel my T is a big issue for me is when I'm anxious.

So I suppose my question is: is this habituation?

Also, would doing AM-101 be likely to provide 'insurance' if the T were to get worse in the future? I mean, if this were really the only reason I'd bother doing the trial (because my T just isn't bothering me like it used to) do you think that makes sense as a reason?

Thanks!!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Let's look at it this way. According to your post you have tinnitus, but it rarely bothers you. It used to bother you a lot, but that is no longer the case. So when you get right down to it - regardless of what you call it, you are doing great! Live and be well. Don't worry about labels.

If it were me, I wouldn't screw around with success. But that's a personal decision.

stephen nagler