Had Microsuction and Now Tinnitus Is Louder and Ears Are More Sensitive to Some Sounds

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kile Harper, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      I'm not sure what to do, I had suction and now my tinnitus is a lot louder. My ear I had suction in and my right one feel weird and my ears are more sensitive to some sounds.

The sounds hurt my ears a little and the tinnitus will get louder when that happens.

Will this be a permanent change or will it settle down?

I've been told by my GP it will settle down and the tinnitus will be back to how it was but it's been 4 days now and nothing has changed.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      To me happend the same thing, but it calmend down the next day. I think it will go down, maybe it just needs a bit more time.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      Hopefully, i had the ear that was suctioned checked and the doctor said nothing seems to be visibly wrong with it. But why would the ear that wasn't suctioned suffer with pains and sensitivity to sounds? The clinic that done the suction said see how it is in a week and see if it has settled. Multiple sites have said it does settle and some haven't and say it stays like that due to the person doing it not being skilled enough or/and the procedure not being safe.

4. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      How long did you have the procedure? Mine was just around 5 seconds each ear and it took more than a day to settle, so maybe if it was longer it will take also longer to settle.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      I'm not too sure, was quite short maybe 10-20 seconds. He did pause as some came out and then he had another go to get the rest out. There was a plug of wax in my ear and it took a bit to come out. He said to me he didn't go far down the ear at all as the plug wasn't really far in.

6. Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      I had microsuction a couple of times... I really didn't like it.. but I had no choice (they don't "flush" the earwax here..)
      Sorry to be a bit direct.. but its only a coupe of days.. as a fellow T sufferer I understand the need to know whether it will eventually subside.. what I mean by this is.. if I told you it will be gone by wednesday.. then you wouldnt mind so much about today or tomorrow.. because you got the assurance it will be gone by wednesday.. but now you don't know whether it will go away.. the positive point is that if you read all the experiences of the good people on this forum then it's very likely that your spike will likely subside over time.. but there is no way to tell you the exact time.. For example, I fell on my head about 2 months ago which caused a significant spike in my T.. that spike took like 6 weeks to calm down a bit.. Of course I also posted on this forum to get some reassurance.. and it calmed me down.. so did my spike. but only after a while.. the most important thing is not to panic, not to keep listening to it, try to go about your day like normal and that will definitely help.. T loves attention.. don't give it.. good luck.. Rinz

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      Thank you for the reply. I do hope it does go back to the volume it was and my ears are not sensitive to sounds as much as they are atm. My ears feel weird like theres pressure difference like ive just come off a plan and they pop every now and then if that makes sense. Im just not sure why its feeling like that in the ear that didnt even have the suction and it now feels like there is T in the ear that didnt have any issues in the first place. I do have a concert on the 10th which i booked ages ago when i didnt have this issue and now im a bit worried about going if im having these issues with my ears.

8. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I don't want to scare you @Kile Harper but read my thread "The dangers of microsuction". I really hope this settles down for you.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      I've had microsuction done before a few times when i had T but when it was quiet and from what i remember i never had issues with it like i am now. Maybe it is permanent... Would a hearing test etc determine if it is permanent or will time?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      im not too sure if saying there is a pressure feeling in my ears is the correct word. theres like a throbbing pain and obviously the louder T and sensitive hearing. My hearing i think is fine it doesnt sound muffled or anything, i dont think i have resulted in any hearing loss etc.

11. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Kile Harper I'd urge you to get it checked... It might be a good idea to try to get prednisone. This is exactly what happened with me, although I didn't have tinnitus before the procedure. Time is precious with acoustic trauma. If your ears feel full and you have sensitivity then it's a sign that the microsuction may have damaged your hearing. I'm so sorry, it enrages me that they are still carrying out this procedure when it's clearly damaging when not done quietly and carefully.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      Fullness? I'm not too sure what you mean by that? My ears feel a little weird but like there's a throbbing pain every now and then but my hearing seems the same. Maybe it's just because I've had suction and obviously that disturbs the ear canal. The clinic said they didn't go far down at all not near the ear drum. The wax was a plug inside the canal basically blocking it there was none on the ear drum itself. All I'm getting told is the ear is unsettled and it just needs to calm down and everything will settle down again. I'm just worried it never will and it's really distressing me.

13. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      My ear canal felt also really sore for a few days, but it went away after i think some days. If you look trough my thread about microsuction you can see that i was also panicking in the beginning, but after a while everything went back to normal.

However if you´re really worried you could always speak to your ENT and do a hearing test.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      im just worried because its both ear canals yet only one was suctioned. My hearing doesn't seem to be impacted and i think i can hear better out the one that was suctioned as the plug is gone, it was there for a while so i become accustomed to how i could hear. Its just the louder T, earache and the sensitivity to louder sounds worrying me.

15. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Did it get any better since the procedure? Or no change at all?

You know, there are not much things right know that you can do. Either you wait and try to ride it out, or you get in touch with your ENT for hearing test and then some further treatments.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      The procedure was done Thursday last week and it seems my ears feel a little better but no massively, i still get the pain and they feel off. the T spikes every now and then. When it first happened it was so loud and then Saturday it seemed quieter when i woke up a little and then it got loud again and earlier today it spiked really loud for a few seconds and then went back to the volume it has been the past few days.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      I did have the procedure done privately as my local GP and NHS is very slow with dealing with anything. I have had it done privately before and once through the NHS.

18. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hey @Kile Harper
      So sorry to hear that you have been affected by this procedure, I truly hope that things calm down for you. I think with this, like any procedure there are perhaps risks, especially if done incorrectly. I had mine done privately too and my mild Tinnitus was increased with hypercausis too. Probably not what you want to hear.
      I’d probably avoided d your concert until your ears at least settle and definitely wear plugs. Take care and hope your ears settle.

19. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, by fullness I mean like a kind of pressure in the ears, a bit like when you're on a plane and you need to pop your ears. My hearing was very sensitive after the microsuction and I had pain too... At first I didn't think my hearing was too affected but after about a week I definitely noticed a change in my hearing. When I had an extended audiogram I had a massive drop in my hearing at 12khz. Please don't leave things if you're worried, go and get checked but stay away from acoustic reflex and LDL tests, these will only make things worse.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      I dont feel like i need to pop my ears at all really, they dont pop when i swallow either like they would do on a plane. They just feel odd because the T is louder now i think and the throbbing pain comes and goes.

21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ears take forever to heal, and temporary spikes can last over three months. You will know whether or not this is permanent only after 3 months or so.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      I'm going to see if I can get any tests to see if I'm at any sort of hearing loss and maybe this will give me some sort of indicator if it's permanent or not

23. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Never do microsection! You will know if its permanent in 2 weeks or so. Please be careful with your ears, they are very easy to get damaged.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      What’s that? @dpdx

25. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Microsuction :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    26. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Haha! Yeah definitely! Worst decision I’ve ever made! @dpdx

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Kile Harper,

Sorry to hear about your microsuction experience. My own opinion as to why your other ear is also being affected is that one ear seems to always affect the other. Some people start out with tinnitus in one ear, and then a few weeks/months later, it will eventually show up in the other ear. I think it's somewhat of a closed auditory system where different parts affect other parts.

Regarding the concert: -- I'm sure you've been looking forward to it for a long time, and are extremely hesitant to not go. But if it was me, I wouldn't consider going for even a moment. Your ears appear to be in a very fragile state right now, a situation that can sometimes take a long time to heal (several months or more). I guess you have to ask yourself if a single. short concert is worth the risk of some very long-lasting implacations. -- All the Best!

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      I think it may all be heading in the right direction. My pain in the ears seems to be getting less and less noticeable and the T is becoming more bearable, i think it may be getting slightly quieter since i opened this post. I have noticed that it spikes when there is a louder sound than normal and then when it stops i think it goes back down. Like when i put music on it goes up a bit and then when its turned off it goes back down. I presume my ears are still sensitive. Hopefully im heading in the right direction. I have been referred to an ENT to have further looks into what has happened as my GP checked both ears again and could not see any visible damage to the ear or anything out of the ordinary to my ear so he doesn't understand why i have these symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Thats great news. Try to protect your ears from further loud noise and i´m sure you will get back to like it was before.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kile Harper

Kile Harper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happened out of nowhere
      If its becoming more bearable than it was then im sure it must be going down just slightly and slowly. More time will tell i guess. I cant do anything really at the moment until my ENT appointment, just gotta soldier through. My main concern was the pain but that seems to becoming less frequent, also the weird feeling i had in my ears appears to have gone which is also another good sign. I spoke to someone over the phone from a Tinnitus page and they said from cases they have heard the suction should never really cause any issues and if the T goes up then it will go down over time. He said it will cause issues if it was done very poorly and he asked if i had pain during the procedure which i didnt and he said thats a good sign. He thinks the pain in my ears is something different and not related to the T so he said to get that checked. He told me in time it will subside so i hope it does.