Had This as Long as I Can Remember

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Valarie, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Valarie
      Stressed

Valarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1980?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, all. Glad to find this forum! I am a 56 y.o. Grandmother and have had ringing in my ears for as long as I can remember. Never had it diagnosed because it was just background noise. Interesting in the quiet to discern the different levels of tone. ( there are at least 3, sometimes more)

The past year it seems to be getting worse, sometimes interferring with hearing, but not bad enough to seek help. But it is getting rather annoying! Ack!

I am a volunteer firefighter/ bagpiper, and work outdoors.

I have been looking for ways to mask the noise, without success.

Has anyone tried the earphones PureWave that vibrates the cheek bones instead of buds going in the ear? Great sound, but haven't found the right combination to mask the ringing.

2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello @Valarie, and welcome.

I cannot answer your making questions, but as one who is of similar age and has had tinnitus my entire life (multiple tones, both ears) I wanted to at least say "hello" and welcome you to the forum.

I have read of the earphones that transmit sound through the jaw, but have never used them. If you do try a set, please share your experience with us as I am sure that am not the only other member here who would be interested.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Scared111

Scared111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      how do you guys all sleep with these sounds? or is it very quiet? i have a hard time sleeping without resorting to any meds. i can fall asleep but then i would constant wake up throughout. i am not sure if it's cause the sound or what though but when i take meds i can sleep thru . but i am trying to cut out meds

4. Kolisar
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I only get about four hours a night, and I hear it in my dreams. I also cannot mask it regardless of how loud I play music with earbuds (well, up to a point where I am afraid the volume will damage my ears). it is hard to determine how loud it is, but I never do not hear the ringing. So, to answer how I sleep, I think it is just exhaustion, I think just eventually pass out (which may be why I never feel rested in the morning). I cannot take medication to sleep as addiction is rampant in my family (and a common cause of deaths in my family), so knowing I have a tendency towards addiction I am hesitant to take certain medications unless absolutely necessary (I also, for the same reason, do not drink, so I am no fun in any sense).

I am sorry @Valarie , I wish I had a better answer that could actually help you.

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Re: your t worsening

What are you doing about auditory protection given you play the bag pipes etc?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Just consider that mirtazapine on a very low dossage helps. No addiction or toleration as far as I can tell.

7. Kolisar
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you, I will look into it.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Valarie
      Stressed

Valarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1980?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, again!
      DebinAustralia, never thought about auditory protection for the pipes. Dont know why it never occured to me. They do get pretty loud.
      Kolisar, I have been using the earphones for listening to books, and I still have the ringing. But the story distracts me, so it is not so bad.
      Scared111, I do sleep with a fan and a/c all year round. I guess I have heard the ringing so long, I am used to it. Kind of like living next to railroad tracks.
      Right now, I am sitting in a hospital room (hubby about to have surgery on his leg), and even though the tv is on my ears are LOUD! This is when it bugs me the most. Quiet environment, no distractions.

9. Kolisar
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Valarie : I'm glad listening to books is working as a distraction and I hope your husband's surgery goes well.