Hammering Nails Caused a Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by Apocalypse77, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      Hello, my name is Apocalypse I first posted here about two months ago because my tinnitus suddenly spiked and I got scared that my tinnitus would not come back to normal.

Now yesterday when I was with my friend in my grandmother's bedroom she started hammering these nails to the floor 4 meters away. Probably for 15 seconds (I am not quite sure maybe even 20 secs.) I didn't plug my ears immediately I don't know why. (I waited like 8 secs before plugging my ears.)

Now my tinnitus is really much louder and I think that this time I actually screwed up I don't know what to do I am just so tired of all these spikes that I have had during these last two weeks.

Is this a temporary spike or will I live like this for the rest of my life??? :cry::cry::cry::cry:

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Judging by my own experience and the many threads with similar stories, your spike will most likely be temporary. My temporary spikes last about 3 days. About two weeks ago, I posted a poll asking people about the longest duration of their temporary spikes. Over 50% reported their longest spikes lasting longer than a week.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Mine is really spiked today. Yesterday I was exposed to some dog barks, moderate level music while shopping, and then spending about an hour with a couple that talks really loudly. I think it was the last one that really exacerbated things. Oh, and my girlfriend and I got into a heated debate/argument about suicide, which I started because of the thread on this forum. All pretty normal sounds for normal people. Yet it's shot up big time now. It's not the first time. Hopefully ours will both settle down soon, my friend.

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-dose.html

It should be temporary, but with somatic T add 3 db for low tones.

http://www.stac-uk.com/downloads/Noise Levels.pdf

A constant use of two hammers (I used two bB SPL values) is 3 minutes and 51 seconds in a closed room 8 feet by 8 feet.

No one really knows - if one all ready has tinnitus - present hearing is a lateral to tone and pitch besides loudness. If you can give me your hz frequencies< then I can them place your handicap as modified.

Spikes can last from minutes to 6 months for handicaps.

You should be fine. Remember that tensions could add 25 to 35% handicap with all the many T terms on anxiety. These handicaps don't mean at all (zero) that will T will have lasting change.

• Informative Informative x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Today it happened again. My grandfather was hammering nails on the wall but this time I plugged my ears. I would say it lasted for about 1 minute. Should I be okay because I plugged my ears? I was about + 5 meters away.

6. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      No you will be permanently worse from that. Then you have to kill yourself cause you won't be able to deal with the increase. I'm f'ing with you, stop worrying so much over every little noise, you aren't a little child.

• Funny Funny x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Amber Yes but i have read that hammering nails into timber is 120db. My grandfather had hurt his shoulder so he did not hit the nails so hard. So we end up on propably 110db and that is pretty flipping loud.

8. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I bet spike will subside . Let us know .

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It will most likely be a temporary spike, but it would still make sense to try to avoid shocks like that.

Could you ask your grandfather to warn you next time, allowing you to leave the premises?

• Like Like x 1
    10. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      hi @Apocalypse77 , did this spike settle? Same thing happened to me today. I was exposed to some hammering whilst at work. Exposed for around 20 seconds to loud hammering coming from surrounding room (hard to tell where with the acoustics, but they were hammering into one of our office walls or above and below). Was loud and intrusive.

How is the spike now?!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gone, absolutely gone. I am sure your spike is gone by now too. :)