Hard Times With My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (Archived Answers)' started by gbt, May 30, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not accepting new questions.
    Dismiss Notice
tinnitus forum
    1. gbt

gbt Guest

Hello Dr. Nagler,

When I was little (12 yo old) I had a T for a week for a little acoustic trauma. A pure tone hiss.
      During my childwood I remember at night or when I plugged the ears I could hear a white noise. Not loud, never bothered me. I thought it was the sound of silence. It went on for years, I don't even know when it went away but I noticed in the last year I did not have it anymore. I lost 100lb last year and I thought "Now I'm healthy, probably went away becouse of that". But as I said I don't know when it went away, I'm sure I never ever noticed it during highschool so...
      During my childwood I had few otitis too. Always been cured asap. I was years since the last one.
      Last summer was great and I felt good. It was strange to me because I'm an anxious man, stressed, mildly depressed and everything that follows. Always been. Last year I felt reborn and I thought I was starting living again.
      In January I started to have these up and downs, somedays I felt tired and depressed, I had headaches, bloating, cold. A weird itch too, mostly in hands and wrists, and feets. It was more when I was sweating. It was hard to me to concentrate and I had no energy. Then the other days I was normal. It happened in the past, from few days in few months to few days in a month. Now were like few days every week.
      I had to give 4 exams in college, so I studied a lot, drunk a lot of coffee and I was stressed. Meanwhile I did my things to, running, playing bass, going out etc. Then the exams session ended, I passed all of them and I was happy and fne. Two days later I started to feeling bad again. I felt really tired and felt that my brain was full and overflown and that night I found out I had tinnitus in both ears, most in the right one. Really loud, penetrating and scary. Ears were burning and I was panicking.
      After a week the volume turned down a little and now its stable. It has been 4 months.I hear white noise, pure high freq tones, sounds like train brakes, something distorted. It changes and it's louder when I'm tired. It's louder when I don't move too, or when I'm not outside.
      Few days ago I found out my father had T for few months too. He said his it's loud too. So we both had this tinnitus around the same time. Coincidence? What happened?
      I had gastritis too. Really strong pain. I had some episodes while I was losing weight and while I was working (it was a stressfull job).
      I saw an ENT few times, I had hearing tests, impedenzometry, ABR, and an MRI...nothing found.
      It's really awful and stressful. I don't know how can I live with this if it doesn't disappear. I'm only 21 yo. I feel fullness, I feel burning like if I have something spicy in my ears. I feel pressure too. In the left hear sometimes I felt pain! Pressure and pain.
      I paused my life 4 months ago. I hoped that would disappear. I stopped drink caffeine, using headphones and earbuds. Keept all the volumes down. Played the bass most times with earplugs (-20db and -30db). I never smoked and did not drink alchool in over years. Never when to disco and just a few concerts, the last one was 6 months before the T.
      Now I don't play anymore, I can't listen to music, it's hard to study, It's hard to go to college and listen to the lectures. I don't see my (few) friends. I don't feel normal, I feel like crap. I really don't see a future. I can't do everything I was used to do anymore. Everynight I go to sleep with a loud tinnitus and headaches. As I said in the beginning, I felt great last year, and now it's all over already. Everything it's harder to do.
      I tried today, after months, to play my bass (that I used to absolutely love). I felt nothing. I played songs, listened to songs and I felt nothing.
      I never been that attached to life. Now my brain is doing this to me...
      I really don't know what to do.

Thanks a lot.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Well when I was in your shoes back in 1994, I made it my primary focus to find a reputable doctor who could evaluate me and recommend a treatment protocol that would help. And I was fortunate to find one.

These days, however, after one or two false starts, folks turn to the Internet in such circumstances. Well, I guess I had more than a dozen false starts before I hit pay-dirt. So my suggestion would be to keep plugging away at it, and to not be disheartened too much by what you read on tinnitus boards.

I'll attach a piece below on self-CBT that might help while you are continuing your search for the right doctor.

All the best with it.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

Attached Files: