Has Long Hours of Driving Started Off My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JayS, Dec 8, 2014.

1. JayS

JayS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe from Long hours or on road or concerts
      I have just joined tinnitus talk after having Tinnitus for around 2 years. I suppose i have done what a lot of you have, tried a number of "remedies", books and not had much luck so far.

I have been a van driver for 8 years. Just a small diesel van but I do many long hours on the road.
      For the first 6 years driving I had no problem. 2 years ago the tinnitus kicked in and i am wondering if anyone has had a similar scenario at all?? or has problems with tinnitus and car/van driving??
      I am thinking the constant whine of the engine and tyres on tarmac has somehow caused the tinnitus.
      These days driving really seems to increase the loudness of my Tinnitus and it takes a while after for it to calm down. But I am still putting in a lot of hours on the road, currently at the point where I am about to quit my job just for some relief. I sometimes where earphones and listen to something calming when driving while still being able to be aware of the road. But this always causes Hyperacusis after a few hours.
      Any advice from anyone?
      Thanks
      also had recent hearing test and have been told I have good hearing

2. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Ive read articles about truck drivers being more exposed to tinnitus compared to the general population. I think the reason for this is that the cause of tinnitus is not only exposure to loud volumes. Its also a matter of time frame. Im pretty certain that low to moderate volumes over large time frames, especially without any breaks, can cause tinnitus...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JayS

JayS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe from Long hours or on road or concerts
      Cheers for the response Jesse.
      Yeah I believe that is true. Driving continuously for 12 hours a day in moderate volume cannot be good. I remember first noticing the tinnitus after a particularly long day driving on the road, sometimes as long as 19 hours without stopping. The more I drove the more the Tinnitus would appear and eventually fade after resting, until one day it appeared and did not go away.
      Noise levels for Commercial vehicle drivers is something that is overlooked, the engine and road noise all day takes its toll on the driver and I too have read a few articles about bus drivers getting tinnitus.
      I am currently wondering if my Tinnitus will get worse if I continue my current driving Job??. For sure after a long day the volume of my tinnitus goes up but does go down after rest.
      If I knew for sure that the long hours driving can worsen my Tinnitus I would quit my job tomorrow!

4. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Id start wearing earplugs while driving if I were you. Just in case...

5. user5871

user5871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      I am in the same situation as the OP. Van driver, fine for 5 years but then tinnitus at night progressing into tinnitus 24/7. Would love to hear how the OP has progressed, or if anyone else has a similar situation.

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I am not sure about driving a van, but driving big trucks particularly those used in mining and earth moving can be a problem to the ears leading to T. Read this success story from a lady driver who has T, suffered badly at first, but then realized that over 70% of her colleagues have T like her but are living normal life. So she said 'screw it Mr. T' and with that she was on the way recovering. Pretty interesting read considering she drives 800 tons big earth moving trucks.

Jade’s success story with super loud T :

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/6-months-tinnitus-still-going-strong-but-so-am-i.3226/